topic: 3650Trials with inlaid track
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 May 2020 09:18

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Its always been my intention to have a small P4 layout as well as Bodmin, I have a shelf just under 50" long by 12", which can have a storage area added to it and can be widened a bit. As to date my P4 locos are a 14xx & 94xx along with an old Airfix kit built Pug, I have also acquired along the way High Level Pug and 57xx chassis and the other week by chance an Agenoria 0-4-0T kit quickly followed by a 1361 chassis (but this may end up in EM gauge).
I was never ever quite happy with the light railway design I settled on, then there was a thread on RMweb about inlaid track and one of Iain Rice's plans from his book on Cameo layouts. By copying a mirror image and lengthening it slightly it fitted the space I have. A plan was drawn out on some card I had and whilst the track plan fitted (ish) the design of the infrastructure was further amended982_010356_170000000.jpg982_010356_170000000.jpg

A trial of a single slip was started, no need to overdo the number of timbers as they will be hidded, a standard 1-6 was built
982_010400_140000000.jpg982_010400_140000000.jpg

Sorry cannot up load it horizontally. A trial at making the infill out of card was started, proved a lot less messy than plaster or clay, but unless I solidify/stabilize it its hard to work to the correct size. Thought about using plastic, plain plasticard would be a too hard of finish, embossed might be too difficult to keep in register. I think either ply or balsa would be easier to work and give a softer finish
982_010410_500000000.jpg982_010410_500000000.jpg

As you can see some of the cutting is better than others, but as I said its a test, the flairind on the check rails needs to be less (Machined?) and against the outside of running rails filler can be used. Also I have learnt what can and cannot be done with switch rails

Still proves it can work, I will try the next turnout with Ply, perhaps I could even use air dried clay in a partially dried condition

posted: 1 May 2020 14:44

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

You could try putting air dried clay on the card before you fit it in place, once you're happy that the card is correctly fitted and clear of rolling stock flanges.

I might nick your idea, as I need inlaid track on my shunting plank, I can scribe in the setts before fitting to the layout. This would be a lot easier and cleaner on the bench than the layout.

Cheers

Phil

posted: 3 May 2020 09:52

Hayfield

United Kingdom

I had another go with a turnout982_030447_490000000.jpg982_030447_490000000.jpg
This time I used flared ends to the check and wing rails

982_030449_050000000.jpg982_030449_050000000.jpg

I used bals wood as an infill certainly easier to shape and I think may look a bit softer than plasticard
982_030451_240000000.jpg982_030451_240000000.jpg

I alsi think the machined ends look better and will alter the slip to match

posted: 3 May 2020 23:14

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
       Would a set of wheels with suitably enlarged flange depths and widths make using a clay or other soft infill easier to accomplish a desired outcome with less work?
Regards
Trevor. :)

posted: 4 May 2020 01:14

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Trevor Walling wrote:
Hello,
       Would a set of wheels with suitably enlarged flange depths and widths make using a clay or other soft infill easier to accomplish a desired outcome with less work?
Regards
Hi Trevor,
Good idea which I tried a while back. I turned up some parts in the lathe that looked pretty much like roller track gauges but I found it hard to get the infill mix right. I may revisit that at some point.

Rob

posted: 4 May 2020 01:29

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Rob red DAS modelling clay seems to be the weapon of choice for others who have infilled between the rails

Bruce Wilson
Barrie Ontario

posted: 4 May 2020 08:13

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Trevor Walling wrote:
Hello,
Regards
Trevor
Thanks for the idea, certainly I don't want wet messy plaster all over the place, using part dried clay or similar rolled to a thin strip then shaped might work, but as I am going for a plain cement type finish this may be the answer certainly in and around the tracks, in fact soft balsa may actually be easier and much cleaner in forming a slight unevenness. It certainly looks much better in the flesh especially without a paper skin

I may in some areas outside the tracks form cobbled areas this could be formed from clay. Balsa also keeps the weight down and the area to be worked is not too large, I have one more turnout to build and have some thin cork, just for experiment sake I might give it a try   

posted: 4 May 2020 10:00

Graham Idle

Redhill, Surrey - United Kingdom

13_040452_310000000.jpg13_040452_310000000.jpg
Hayfield wrote:
Trevor Walling wrote:
Hello,
Regards
Trevor
Thanks for the idea, certainly I don't want wet messy plaster all over the place, using part dried clay or similar rolled to a thin strip then shaped might work, but as I am going for a plain cement type finish this may be the answer certainly in and around the tracks, in fact soft balsa may actually be easier and much cleaner in forming a slight unevenness. It certainly looks much better in the flesh especially without a paper skin

I may in some areas outside the tracks form cobbled areas this could be formed from clay. Balsa also keeps the weight down and the area to be worked is not too large, I have one more turnout to build and have some thin cork, just for experiment sake I might give it a try   
Hi, this is blue foam embossed with a brass rectangle section then painted with acrylic paint. The foam came from 4D Models and was available in many thicknesses from 1mm, 2mm etc.
4D are closed at the moment so I'm not sure what is available, but it is lovely material to work with. Cuts with a sharp knife and sticks with PVA.
Hope this helps.
Regards, Graham

posted: 4 May 2020 11:46

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

I would be a little cautious of using a water based filler for inlaid track. Many years ago I naively used polyfiller to represent a flat concrete area of inlaid track and scribed flangeways with a shaped tool before it fully hardened. The next day I tried to run a loco only for the overload on the controller to trip. On investigation I discovered the resistance between the rails was less than 1 ohm! The moisture in the plaster was shorting out the rails! It was several weeks before the resistance normalised and the less said about what it subsequently did to the steel rivets the better.
Regards
Tony.
Last edited on 4 May 2020 11:47 by Tony W
posted: 4 May 2020 11:55

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Graham
The finish looks very good and what I am thinking of, certainly looks worth trying except with a mostly flat concrete finish. Thanks
Last edited on 4 May 2020 11:56 by Hayfield

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Trials with inlaid track
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020