author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 May 2020 21:43

Richard Brummitt

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello,

I've spent plenty of hours now reading, watching videos and being told off/helped by Martin :D for doing things wrong over on RMWeb that it is time I posted here and to try and get past the computer design - print - check - tweak stage to actually building track.

style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 238);"I'm now at the point where the rails are in the right places, or so I think and I want to adjust the sleeper spacing and timbering. I'm a GWR modeller and I understand that the way to get the crossings timbers in the correct place is to shove the timbers according to http://templot.com/companion/timber_spacings_overview.php style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 238);" I've been through the GWSG publication written by David Smith again (it's about a decade since I built any track) and made all the notes on where the timbers should be &c. so that might be my next question if I cannot find what I want when I come to do it. 
style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 238);"

style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 238);"Right at this moment though I'd like to change all my plain track to use 44'6" rail lengths with 18 sleepers per length. That is straightforward enough, especially following the instructions on the pdf from Stewart Hince posted elsewhere on the forum. I'd assumed that I would change this after the templates were all made and in place though. Ideally a global change would be possible but if it is I haven't worked out how. Is this possible? I made a new template with the correct spacing and managed to make it a library template but that didn't get me far yet, if at all it will. The way I can manage to change the spacing is to have each template as the control and enter the sleeper spacing for every one and then copy them onto the background. It's not a large design (11 plain templates off the top of my head) but I hoped for a more expeditious solution. I feel like it should be possible to store the spacings so that they appear in the list when you go to real->plain track options->rail length and sleeper spacings and apply a selection from the list to the control (or even all templates). 

I think what I've learned is that the best thing is to start how you mean to go on and set the plain track sleeper spacing on the first template right after setting the scale and gauge. Noted for the next one, which will be larger.

Thanks for reading,

Richard.

posted: 3 May 2020 22:23

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Richard,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

To make global changes, what you do is

1. make the change(s) to the control template, if not already.

2. group the background templates, or just one, or all of them, as required.

3. find the relevant modify group to match menu item, of which there are several in the various menus. The one you want in this case is:

2_031710_190000000.png2_031710_190000000.png

The grouped templates will then be modified to match the relevant settings in control template.

But note that means all the related settings, you can't just modify the rail length, or just one of the spacing dimensions, or whatever.

The same applies elsewhere, for example changing the timbering data.

Don't forget to save the modified .box file afterwards.

Glad you recovered from a severe telling off! :) I have since made a video on the subject:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=pu2F-wveux5-EWGYuqPd3g2

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Changing sleeper spacings
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020