topic: 3664slip crossovers
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 May 2020 11:59

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Templot can create slip crossovers directly: tools > make slip > make slip crossover menu items.

In a herculean feat of memory, a topic on the Scalefour forum has reminded me of an article I wrote 20 years ago, which turns out to be still on the server:

http://templot.com/info/slips.htm

I can't remember if or when I last posted the link, but when I created the make slip function it would have made sense to add the link to the Companion, or include it on its own page. Perhaps I did? Everything is getting a bit muddled in my head these days. :(

http://templot.com/companion/slips.php

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 May 2020 21:10

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reminder re the slip crossovers - certainly useful. When extending the generated crossover ( with or without slip roads ) is there an easy way to remember which leg of each half diamond is refered to as approach/branch or exit tracks ? When bringing one of the half diamonds back to the control I invariably choose the wrong one when wanting to extend the track. Is it me being slow or just an age related thing :(?

Rob

posted: 11 May 2020 22:52

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
is there an easy way to remember which leg of each half diamond is refered to as approach/branch or exit tracks ? When bringing one of the half diamonds back to the control I invariably choose the wrong one when wanting to extend the track. Is it me being slow or just an age related thing :(?
Hi Rob,

I don't know how slow or age-related you are, but I'm not far behind. :)

However, the information is there on the screen:

2_111737_210000000.png2_111737_210000000.png

Another way is to dab the comma key on the keyboard. That shows the shove timbers dialog and the timber numbers, which always run along the main-side of a template.

The quickest way, if your eyesight is up to it, is to look at the exit guide marks:

2_111746_500000000.png2_111746_500000000.png

On the main side they are square to the track centre-line. On the turnout side (CTRL-5 and CTRL-6) they are at an angle to the track centre-line.

Now that you've mentioned it, I have put a note in my notebook to make the difference more prominent in some way -- perhaps make them much longer on the main side.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 May 2020 23:59

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

I don't know how slow or age-related you are, but I'm not far behind. :)

Martin.
Hi Martin,
Depends on the time of day, what I have eaten and how many projects I am trying to do all at the same time :( I am 12 years behind you in the age stakes and I am not dim witted - although one of my neighbours tried to explain the principles of knitting to me last week and it made my head hurt. I trained as a Land Rover mechanic when I was at college and I can fix most car problems ( of a mechanical nature ). Combi boilers, washing machines and anything that needs a socket set and the rest of the tools is easy. Trying to remember the hot keys or shortcuts for a computer program that I last used several weeks ago is a different matter :D Still at least I don't have to remember Shift+F10 for shoving timbers now you have reminded me about the "," key - at least not for a few weeks. I did learn many years ago about Insert, Home and End !

Any tweaks you can do easily would be welcome.

Must get back to refurbing the new milling machine I bought last week. Our friends from China don't seem to have learnt that gib strips are supposed to be straight and match the size of the dovetails or that you can't tighten a bolt into a tapped hole unless the hole has been deburred first. Must wash my shirt that is now covered in rancid smelling anti rust coating too.

Thanks
Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > slip crossovers
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020