posted: 21 Jul 2020 17:57

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Just doing some housekeeping on the Templot web site, and I came across this:

http://templot.com/info/wooden_point_motors_1956.pdf

I have no recollection of ever seeing it before, or where it came from. :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 21 Jul 2020 21:20

Bill_Lobb

Scarborough - United Kingdom

Isn't that splendid? Wonder if it would work in 2FS.

Bill

Martin Wynne wrote:

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 21 Jul 2020 22:59

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

My guess is that It might have come from Model Raiway News in the 1940s or 1960s.

posted: 21 Jul 2020 23:20

Martin Wynne

John Lewis wrote:
My guess is that It might have come from Model Raiway News in the 1940s or 1960s.
Hi John,

The file name says 1956. :)

The greater mystery is how it came to be on the Templot web site without my having the faintest recollection of it? The file upload date is 2012, so there is no chance of me remembering now. :?

Martin.

posted: 22 Jul 2020 06:34

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Reminds me of the DIY articles in all three mags of that era, using either discarded (food mainly) packaging, matchsticks and balsa wood. Was it Railway Modeler that had the "Shows you how" series. Paper Mache and chicken wire featured heavily, with card of off cuts of wood formers

posted: 22 Jul 2020 09:22

John Shelley

St Ciers Sur Gironde 33820 - France

Martin Wynne wrote:
John Lewis wrote:
Hi John,

The file name says 1956. :)

The greater mystery is how it came to be on the Templot web site without my having the faintest recollection of it? The file upload date is 2012, so there is no chance of me remembering now. :?

Martin.
[edited message]
To me the style says Railway Modeller, also top right of first page is the word Railway.
A look in my Railway library located the May 1956 Railway Modeller with that article on pages 116 & 117.
The number 67 top left  of the first page is the issue number of that Railway Modeller (Vol 7 No.67).

John S from 33820 St Ciers sur Gironde.

posted: 22 Jul 2020 14:02

Nigel Brown

The author of the article, Sir Eric Hutchison, was a well known modeller of the era and a co-founder of Merco. He wrote quite a few articles for the Railway Modeller, including one of his superb layout based on the Highland Railway main line from Blair Atholl north; it really captured the atmosphere of the line. There's a bio of him here:
http://www.brightontoymuseum.co.uk/index/Category:Sir_Eric_Hutchison

posted: 25 Jul 2020 05:59

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Martin Wynne wrote:

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,
I don't remember seeing it in RM but I don't think I started reading that until 1959. (I was amazed to see it in a news agent's window.)

Incidentally, I may be missing something but I don't think it works, at least not for the reasons that the author seemed to think. The two sides are always going to be balanced or more likely not, in which case a single weight is all that's required.

What would work I think is if the action of moving the lever elevated a single weight so that it acted like an over-centre spring. I've always imagined full-scale point levers work that way. I've thought of trying  it on a model myself but I've yet to get around to it. Maybe on the new layout?

Cheers,
Andy

posted: 25 Jul 2020 06:58

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

I tend to agree with Andy.
It is a very interesting design worth to build soon.
Indeed a spring is missing(or a locking mechanism), a old fashion clock work can work also without a spring.

Best Igor

posted: 25 Jul 2020 08:49

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Whilst both weights are the same weight, owing to the pivot point being well off center the force of C will be greater than D. It also suggests adding extra weight if required

posted: 25 Jul 2020 09:16

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Hayfield wrote:
Whilst both weights are the same weight, owing to the pivot point being well off center the force of C will be greater than D.
Hi John,

I completely agree. But if all you want to do is exert a force, why do you need two weights when you can achieve exactly the same result with one?

It's a "net effect" thing. My old physics teacher in Paisley (who we irreverently nick-named "Bilko" due to his receding hairline) would have had a field day with this one :D

Cheers,
Andy

posted: 25 Jul 2020 09:55

Martin Wynne

Andrew Barrowman wrote:
I completely agree. But if all you want to do is exert a force, why do you need two weights when you can achieve exactly the same result with one?
Hi Andy,

I'm not sure you can. If you use tension in the operating cord to pull the points over against a single falling weight return, the points aren't trailable when so held over. And it needs some very careful adjustment to the operating cord to hold them against the stock rail with the right amount of force.

The beauty of this design is that you can use any old bit of string to lift the weight from the operating crank. The points are held either way by the weights only, and are trailable both ways.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jul 2020 18:12

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Martin Wynne wrote:
Andrew Barrowman wrote:
Hi Andy,

I'm not sure you can. If you use tension in the operating cord to pull the points over against a single falling weight return, the points aren't trailable when so held over. And it needs some very careful adjustment to the operating cord to hold them against the stock rail with the right amount of force.

The beauty of this design is that you can use any old bit of string to lift the weight from the operating crank. The points are held either way by the weights only, and are trailable both ways.

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,

In the cold light of day I now see where I was going wrong :)

I thought the cord was was attached to the tie-bar and the thing sticking up above the fulcrum was the point lever. Doh!

Cheers,
Andy

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Wooden point motors
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020