posted: 16 Mar 2008 23:11

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This subject cropped up on RMweb recently. I replied at:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=303906#p303906

I've had a couple of off-group emails on the same subject, so I thought I would copy it here.

Simon wrote:
How did you export the file? I have tried this without much success - a friend who is an architect tried this, and we found that exporting the dxf format took forever and a day, whereas plugging Templot into the printer directly was a lot quicker, but we couldn't get the layout plan to print lengthways, and ended up with four sheets when we wanted one. (And access to his printer may be a bit restricted at the moment.) Would appreciate knowing how you did this - it regularly pops up on the Templot forum, so it must be bugging a lot of people!

Hi Simon,

The DXF file is much smaller and faster to export if you select the 2D option on the DXF dialog.

However in the next Pug version of Templot you will have the alternative of creating your track plan as a PDF file. This has several advantages over the existing DXF option:

1. It's easy to set up the page size. 3ft wide by 20ft long? Just enter the size required*. For landscape or portrait options just change it to 20ft wide x 3ft long or whatever you want. (I'm not going to enter the argument about which is which, we've been over that too many times. :) )

2. You can easily preview your PDF file on your own computer using Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader before taking it to be printed.

3. The track plans will have the coloured rail and timber infill matching Templot's single sheet template printing.

4. Most importantly, printing it requires no CAD skills. Any high street copyshop offering poster printing should be able to print a PDF file using their standard system and unskilled operator.

It will also be possible to use Templot's new "diagram mode" (coming soon) for displays, signal box diagrams, control panels, wiring diagrams, etc. This isn't possible in the DXF export:

defynnog.pngdefynnog.png  

*for Windows 95,98,ME the maximum size is about 3ft square. Any sensible size in Windows 2K, XP or Vista.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Mar 2008 15:31

whywaite

I will look forward to seeing this release.

Shaun

posted: 29 May 2008 05:07

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

I have finally got a small plan (less than 8' long) produced which will satisfy my needs for a while. I have access to a plotter at work which will print it out, but believe it or not, this is not used for CAD purposes, or at least not to the knowledge of the IT dept who house it (it seems to generally be used to mock up advertising posters and the like). Therefore I need to convert my dxf to a pdf file. Has anyone found some simple to use free software for this? Last time I  searched, Google seemed to have been hijacked by people trying to sell me things other than what I wanted. After all, I am only really looking for a single use!

Simon

posted: 29 May 2008 05:35

Martin Wynne

Simon Dunkley wrote:
Therefore I need to convert my dxf to a pdf file. Has anyone found some simple to use free software for this? Last time I  searched, Google seemed to have been hijacked by people trying to sell me things other than what I wanted. After all, I am only really looking for a single use!
Hi Simon,

If you send me your BOX file (not DXF), I will create a PDF file for you using my development version of Templot.

(PDF output is coming in the next Pug. This will be an interesting test for it. :) )

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 May 2008 12:06

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Simon Dunkley wrote:
Therefore I need to convert my dxf to a pdf file. Has anyone found some simple to use free software for this? Last time I  searched, Google seemed to have been hijacked by people trying to sell me things other than what I wanted. After all, I am only really looking for a single use!
Hi Simon,

If you send me your BOX file (not DXF), I will create a PDF file for you using my development version of Templot.

(PDF output is coming in the next Pug. This will be an interesting test for it. :) )

regards,

Martin.
Ta - on the way!

Simon

posted: 24 Jul 2008 19:58

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

I've just emailed a DXF file of Eridge to a local printshop, but even when I tell them it was exported in 'mm' and should be about 3 ft wide and 24 ft long they say that they can't print it out any bigger than A1 (they do have a 841mm wide roll-plotter).  The first time they tried it took up a quarter of an A4 page!

Is it me or them?  All stored templates were included, print was set to 100% (but 'scaled' was unticked anyway) and exported in 'mm'.  It has worked before on another plotter.  They say they imported it into 'AutoCad 2005'.

posted: 24 Jul 2008 21:25

Martin Wynne

Roderic Cameron wrote:
Is it me or them?
Hi Roderic,

It's them. Gordon S of this parish went through the same problems and eventually found somewhere who knew what they were doing and did a very good job. See:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=303743#p303743

and then scroll back to the top of that topic.

It seems that these places just aren't used to folks walking in and asking for a printout 30ft long. I can't imagine why not? :)

It's because of these problems that I want to get the alternative PDF option available. If you are still having trouble send me your .box file (not DXF) and I will create a PDF file for you. Any High-Street poster printing place should be able to print that without requiring a skilled operator.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jul 2008 14:05

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

Martin Wynne wrote:
Roderic Cameron wrote:
Is it me or them?
If you are still having trouble send me your .box file (not DXF) and I will create a PDF file for you.

Thanks Martin, done that!

Regards

Rod

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > DXF and PDF export for wide-format printing
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020