Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3767Snapping, joining templates (not taking photos)
author remove search highlighting

posted: 13 Sep 2020 09:05

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Ever since I started using Templot, 10 years ago, I have always used F7, move and join, with snap on, to join templates together.
I have noticed from time to time Martin make comments about why people use it and say it's only for beginners and it always puzzled me.
About 4 weeks ago I had a "Eureka" moment I found; P, Peg/Align Tools > B, snap the control template onto background template > ........
It is so useful, I wonder why it took so long to find.
I think the reason is; nobody talks about it, it is just not obvious but Martin, it is brilliant.

Godders

posted: 14 Sep 2020 01:11

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Did you find that from the same thread as me, Godfrey?

It's a brilliant tool, isn't it? Even now I'm still learning Templot. For days I've been working on putting the whole of Whitby into Templot and finding it didn't fit. Thanks to this feature I discovered in minutes it was down to lots of small barely perceptible mis-alignments of small groups of templates. Snapped them together and it fitted perfectly.

Martin's a clever chap alright.
Derek

posted: 14 Sep 2020 08:09

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Derek,
I can't remember how I came across it. I think I was looking for something and just tried it. How many other people don't know about it.
I wonder what the best way is to advertise these features.

Godders
Last edited on 14 Sep 2020 08:10 by Godfrey Earnshaw
posted: 14 Sep 2020 10:02

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
I wonder what the best way is to advertise these features.
Hi Godders,

I just don't know the answer to that. I tend to assume that "everyone knows" about stuff that has been in Templot from the beginning, but of course they probably don't.

I have just now discovered that I made a video showing the notch-linking functions less than 12 months ago, but I had completely forgotten about it, and I can't even remember making it:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Movie.aspx?id=MTd0T1Pp4DIGd5QfbfBqQw2

I must have posted somewhere about it at the time, surely? :?

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2020 12:40

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Thank you for that video. I have never seen it before but I do know everything that is in it, now.

Like you my memory is getting worse and I am at least 7 years in advance of you, I think.

I managed perfectly alright without the notch linking functions, it was just so nice to discover them and irritating that I had missed them for so long.

One thing I wasn't doing is criticising you, as I am sure you know.

Another thing I never do, is travel anywhere without Templot.

It has been to many corners of this country and a lot of the world.

Thank you

Godders

posted: 14 Sep 2020 14:11

Martin Wynne

Hi Godders,

I didn't think you were criticising me!

But I am wondering what other long-standing functions in Templot folks might not be aware of.

For example, this old page also contains details of the slewing functions:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm

They all still work exactly as then, and very useful too, but I can't remember mentioning or explaining them in a long while. And they are not currently explained anywhere else as far as I can find.

It's a worry that I'm now getting in such a muddle with the docs and web pages that I can no longer remember what I have done and haven't done. :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2020 18:19

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
The features of Templot are so many that it is impossible to remember them all. It is such that one finds things only by looking to do a certain procedure through past postings or searching.Personally that is one of its attractions for me.
There is a way to do something I just cannot remember it.
It always comes through with an elegant solution.
Thank you and regards
Trevor:)

posted: 14 Sep 2020 20:05

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

If I forget how to do something,I refer back to the videos and that normally gets me out of trouble, even though some are a bit long in the tooth now, a bit like me!

Cheers

Phil.

posted: 15 Sep 2020 08:06

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
this old page also contains details of the slewing functions:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm

They all still work exactly as then, and very useful too, but I can't remember mentioning or explaining them in a long while. And they are not currently explained anywhere else as far as I can find.
Now in the Companion:

http://templot.com/companion/slewing.php

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Tips and tutorials > Snapping, joining templates (not taking photos)
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020