Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3806DXF Import
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 Nov 2020 21:11

Thomas Clarke

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
A friend of mine kindly drew out to EM scale track plan of Eardisley station in Autocad. When I imported the dxf file into Templot it was the right scale but something weird happend to the file when it was imported as can be seen in the Eardisley JPG when in fact it should looked like 3.JPG. It has also placed it a long way away from the track template 1.JPG and produce some separate shapes located in the bottom right hand corner 2.JPG. Any idea what might be causing this to happen.

3704_011607_460000000.jpg3704_011607_460000000.jpg1.JPG
3704_011609_360000000.png3704_011609_360000000.png
2.JPG
3704_011610_150000000.png3704_011610_150000000.png
3.JPG
3704_011610_530000000.png3704_011610_530000000.png
Eardisley.JPG

posted: 1 Nov 2020 21:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Thomas,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Please could you post your DXF file (.dxf) as an attachment? It's difficult to see what's happening from your screenshots.

The attachment button is below the post editor panel.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Nov 2020 00:44

Thomas Clarke

Hi Martin

Templot BG. dxf was the one that I imported into Templot and gave the odd results. I also tried cropping the dxf file that gave me Station4 dxf and when I loaded that one into Templot that was fine but it still added the exta bits at the bottom right hand corner.
Attachment: attach_3165_3806_Templot_BG.dxf     15

posted: 2 Nov 2020 00:47

Thomas Clarke

Hi Martin
Templot would not allow me to attach more than one dxf file so here is the other one. Thanks.
Attachment: attach_3166_3806_Station4.dxf     17

posted: 2 Nov 2020 05:30

Martin Wynne

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for posting the files.

That was a strange DXF. Someone had got their decimal points out of position -- I doubt that you wanted it 50 metres and 25 metres from the grid origin?  :)

I moved it to 5 metres and 2.5 metres:

2_012349_200000000.png2_012349_200000000.png

Also the track gauge was drawn at 20mm instead of 18.2mm for EM. Generally when creating a DXF for Templot it is better to draw only the track centre-lines.

The items in the bottom corner were labelled as "cassettes", but didn't suffer the decimal point error so stayed where they were. I removed them -- easily recreated in Templot if needed.

At the right-hand end there was a severe dog-leg in the curve, causing Templot to draw the arc in the wrong direction. I have replaced it with a smooth transition curve.

Below is the BGS3 file to open directly in the background shapes. Also the modified DXF file if you need it.

All that having been said, this isn't really the best way to use Templot. There are over 9,000 imported background shapes, making screen response very slow when working over them. And being a CAD design, it has a "set-track" geometrical look. Most Templot users would use a map as a guide for track planning. Templot can capture historic maps from the internet and display them at the correct scale as a background guide. If you are modelling Eardisley to scale, a 25"/mile map can be captured from the NLS web site:

2_020018_530000000.png2_020018_530000000.png

It is easy to shrink the map lengthwise if needed, and there is also a function to wrap a map onto a curve to fit a railway room.

Here is the URL for the map:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=52.13170&lon=-3.00704&layers=168&b=1

The function to import it is at background > maps menu item.

Here is the BGS3 file below (it will be very slow to load with so many shapes), DXF to follow.

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_3167_3806_thomas.bgs3     16

posted: 2 Nov 2020 05:38

Martin Wynne

Here is the modified DXF if you need it.

Martin.
Attachment: attach_3169_3806_tc_thomas.dxf     15

posted: 2 Nov 2020 19:16

Thomas Clarke

Hi Martin

You have been most helpful indeed and the service you provide is excellent. Although I paid for a copy of Templot many years ago I thought it proper to make a donation towards your generosity in providing this excellent software to modellers like myself. Keep up the good work.

Tom

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020