author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 Dec 2020 19:16

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Good evening all!

For ages I've wanted an A3 or A3+ printer but they've always seemed too big or too expensive.  I got fed up with sticking bits of A4 paper together for even quite small templates.  I've now bought myself an HP Officejet 7110 from ebuyer for not much over £100, it's relatively small for an A3 printer and has a wireless connection which for me is important so I can tuck it under a chair when not in use, with no cabling to unplug.  Reviews suggest it's not that good for photo printing, but frankly if you want an A3 photo printed, it's cheaper to go to a print shop!

The next problem was paper.  A3 copy paper is abundant, A3+ photo paper is abundant, but A3+ decent quality plain paper isn't!  Eventually I found a company called FirstForPaper who list Swift paper, and the 120gsm is available as a special size of 13" x 19" (A3+).  It's relatively expensive at 16p/sheet if you buy 250 sheets, but before splashing out I ordered a "sample snippet"  to try out, at a cost of 99p.  It's really nice paper!

I've just printed out my work in progress layout - at 450mm wide, with Templot set to side run, the entire width fits on a single sheet!

I hope someone may find this useful.  Not having to join so many sheets together, with all the resultant errors, is a big bonus.  I should add that I have no connection whatsoever with any of the companies mentioned.  I've just noticed that ebuyer have bumped the price up to £120, but that's still good.

Cheers,
Paul

105_011410_100000000.jpg105_011410_100000000.jpg

posted: 1 Dec 2020 19:30

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Paul,
Thanks for posting that. Yes, I have an a3+ printer - a Canon ix5000 but had/have trouble finding 13x19" paper. Even though you have told me the company I can't find the right one :roll: Can you send me the link to it please.16p a sheet isn't that bad when you consider how often and how much you will use.

Thanks
Rob

posted: 1 Dec 2020 19:44

Paul Boyd

Hi Rob
It is a bit of a convoluted site!  The direct link is http://www.firstforpaper.co.uk/swift-paper-120gsm/swift-white-paper-120gsm-special-sizes-size-group-s.html and there’s a pull-down for the size.  I notice that it’s now 17p a sheet for 250 sheets!  Postage by DPD is £7.99, and it’s very nicely and securely packed.

Cheers, 
Paul

posted: 1 Dec 2020 19:59

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Paul,

Does it have to be A3+ ?

Ordinary A3 is a lot cheaper if you buy a pack of 250:

4.7p per sheet here (+maybe free delivery?) :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Color-Copy-White-Paper-Pack/dp/B00BJIMCVC/

But I would prefer 160gsm (8.4p per sheet + free delivery):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xerox-Colotech-Premium-160gsm-Sheets/dp/B077SPKFTM/

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Dec 2020 20:11

Paul Boyd

Martin Wynne wrote:
Does it have to [be] A3+?
Hi Martin 
The bigger the better!  Really, the answer is no it doesn’t, but a pack of 250 sheets will last a very long time, and if you think about some of the other costs in our hobby, it’s not a huge investment.  In fact, I have some of the Xerox A3, albeit 100gsm, which I use as general purpose paper, keeping the A3+ for final prints.

Talking of which, it would be nice if the calibration test sheet could have an A3 option to fill the paper more!  Any error in measuring will then be a smaller percentage so hopefully more accurate.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 1 Dec 2020 20:32

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
Talking of which, it would be nice if the calibration test sheet could have an A3 option to fill the paper more!  Any error in measuring will then be a smaller percentage so hopefully more accurate.

Hi Paul,

But do you have a means to measure A3 size to say 0.2 mm?

And a flat enough surface to lay it on?

I suspect you get more accurate results by measuring the existing calibration sheet with a digital caliper and a magnifying glass.

But if you can measure A3, it's easy. Set the template grid to say 25mm squares, print without calibration, and measure the grid. Calculate the calibration factors and enter them manually. Do a test print to check.

That was the original method in old Templot. I made the calibration function just to make it easy and avoid the need for a calculation. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Dec 2020 20:48

Paul Boyd

Martin Wynne wrote:
But do you have a means to measure A3 size to say 0.2 mm?

And a flat enough surface to lay it on?
I'm not sure about 0.2mm, but I'm not sure about that with A4 either.  Flat enough, yes.  Wouldn't the same error on a larger distance get a more accurate percentage?  Maths is not my strong point!  But...
But if you can measure A3, it's easy. Set the template grid to say 25mm squares, print without calibration, and measure the grid. Calculate the calibration factors and enter them manually. Do a test print to check.
I think I must have have long forgotten that method!  I'll give it a go, thanks!   How old a version was that method used?  I got Templot in April 2001, version 0.68c (he says, checking his email archive!), but I don't remember how printing was calibrated way back then!  I no longer have the CD, not that it would work anyway without a lock release code.  It would have been fun to play with it again though!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 1 Dec 2020 20:49

Rob Manchester

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the link. I see they do other sizes as well but nothing that would give me any great benefit with the printer I have. The physical 'mouth' of the printer is only marginally over 13" and the driver only allows custom paper lengths upto 23". I haven't tested the actual printed width you can get out of it.

As Martin points out the difference in coverage over standard A3 is not massive and whilst your point about the cost not exactly emptying the bank account is true you could buy standard A3 and put the rest of the money towards some ink :)

I still haven't settled on a single approach to the business of templates and tracklaying ( sounds like a new topic waiting to be posted ). I like building using thin paper and then removing the sections from the templates before placing them in the final position but on small layouts ( or bits of bigger ones ) where you can gain easy access to the whole area it is nice to paste the templates onto the layout surface and build in situ. There are pros and cons of both approaches of course.

I did recently get an HP Designjet A1 printer but it was big ( to use and store ), slow and proved to only want to work on random odd days so I sold it for spare parts. Nice idea but unless you can rely on a printer working when you want it to there isn't much point - a newer model would have worked more predictably but they aren't cheap.

Rob

posted: 1 Dec 2020 21:07

Paul Boyd

Rob Manchester wrote:
Thanks for the link. I see they do other sizes as well but nothing that would give me any great benefit with the printer I have. The physical 'mouth' of the printer is only marginally over 13" and the driver only allows custom paper lengths upto 23". I haven't tested the actual printed width you can get out of it.

Hi Rob,
FirstForPaper cut the special sizes to order and I think I saw somewhere that they can do custom sizes.  Frustratingly, the Mac drivers for the 7110 can apparently have custom sizes up to somewhere around 4ft long, although it would surely be better to use a print shop rather than order paper that size!

In my specific use right now, the difference between A3 and A3+ is the difference between getting one board edge on a sheet of paper or two - the templates can also be used as baseboard build templates with joins in only one direction, as well as planning full size wiring runs, scenery, point motor positioning etc.  Admittedly that only works for quite a narrow range of baseboard widths, but I’m in that range!

Anyway, I thought someone might have found the info useful.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 1 Dec 2020 21:10

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote
How old a version was that method used?  I got Templot in April 2001, version 0.68c (he says, checking his email archive!), but I don't remember how printing was calibrated way back then!  I no longer have the CD, not that it would work anyway without a lock release code.  It would have been fun to play with it again though!
Hi Paul,

I will get the code from the archive and see if I can recompile it without the lock-release code, and post it here. It would be fun to try it again.  :)

The very first Windows version of Templot, which I think was 0.33.a, was on floppy disks, not CD. About mid-1999. I think I added the printer calibration very early, maybe before then.

If you wanted a larger paper size, how about roll paper? I used to cut full rolls in half with a hacksaw:

http://www.designofficesupplies.co.uk/shop/category/graphic-inkjet-media/matt-coated/matt-coated-paper-120gsm/premium-matt-coated-plotter-paper-rolls-120gsm-610mm-x-45m-24/

That would give you 2 rolls 12 inches wide.

If you have a bandsaw or a friend with one, that would give you a neatish square end on each roll.

Or if 90gsm would do, you can get 12" rolls:

http://www.plot-it.co.uk/p/canon_oce_ijm113_premium_coated_90g_m_97022945_12_a3_a4_297mm_x_120m_inkjet_plotter_paper

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Dec 2020 21:27

Paul Boyd

Martin Wynne wrote:

I will get the code from the archive and see if I can recompile it without the lock-release code, and post it here. It would be fun to try it again.  :)

Yes please!  I'll even run it on my XP virtual machine!

If you wanted a larger paper size, how about roll paper? 

I used to use telex roll ages ago, if you remember!  That printer did me well, but inks were getting hard to find, then the head need replacing, again, so off it went.  I did have another look but couldn't find a suitable printer that I could both afford and stash somewhere.

Cheers,
Paul

105_011626_100000000.jpg105_011626_100000000.jpg

posted: 1 Dec 2020 21:30

Rob Manchester

Paul Boyd wrote:

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul,
Yes I did thanks, it got me thinking about several options relating to printing and Templot.

Martin's bandsaw idea has me thinking. I could do something along those lines with the 24" rolls I got for the Designjet printer. Mind you thinking about it I don't think the throat depth on my little bandsaw is going to be wide enough..... :(...the radial arm mitre saw maybe an option as long as I remember to clamp the roll down firmly. Shame the max custom paper length I can set is not longer.

Rob

P.S. I hope you got a better monitor these days :D

Last edited on 1 Dec 2020 21:33 by Rob Manchester
posted: 1 Dec 2020 21:43

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Yes, I remember the Telex rolls -- in fact I think I still have some, from a genuine old Telex machine. You sent me a sample of the better quality rolls you were using. :)

But Telex was only 8" wide so a bit restrictive. In my case the roll holder was fixed on the wall behind the printer, which meant the printer needed to be aligned perfectly on the table, otherwise the paper would mis-track.

Also I still have a box of sprocket-feed Z-fold perforated listing paper.

Templot still has the banner printing options, but I wouldn't think many folks still use them.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Dec 2020 21:53

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:

Martin's bandsaw idea has me thinking. I could do something along those lines with the 24" rolls I got for the Designjet printer. Mind you thinking about it I don't think the throat depth on my little bandsaw is going to be wide enough..... :(...the radial arm mitre saw maybe an option as long as I remember to clamp the roll down firmly. Shame the max custom paper length I can set is not longer.
Hi Rob,

Cutting manually with a fine hacksaw blade does work, and the result isn't as ragged as you might think if the roll is wound tight. The printers feed by friction roll, so an imperfect edge works ok.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2020 02:07

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
Martin Wynne wrote:

Yes please!  I'll even run it on my XP virtual machine!
Hi Paul,

Here's the very first Windows DEMO version of Templot, from 25th June 1999. :)

It's the same as the first ever release version, but doesn't need a release code. Being a free demo for what was then a paid-for product, it won't save files or print templates (other than a demo print).

It's the original exe file, not recompiled.

Surprisingly it runs ok on Windows 10, with a few obvious glitches. Most of the windows need dragging a bit larger. But it's painful to use, you won't want to do much with it. :)

At start-up for some reason it displays a blank panel. Click the small dotted rectangle.

If there is any interest, I will try to get a slightly later version recompiled and posted.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE everyone, don't share this with anyone.

It's over 20 years old !

It is NOT a demo of the current Templot2 program !

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_3183_3826_TemplotV00Demo.exe     21

posted: 2 Dec 2020 02:14

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,
No I haven't gone to bed yet either.....the early Templot/Windows version is actually very impressive considering the age of it. Thanks for uploading it, I will play around with it a little more when I get chance.

Rob

posted: 2 Dec 2020 03:33

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Rob Manchester wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul,
Yes I did thanks, it got me thinking about several options relating to printing and Templot.

Rob

P.S. I hope you got a better monitor these days :D

Please mind how you go if you do use a bandsaw. Round things and bandsaws are not always a good combination.

posted: 2 Dec 2020 08:34

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Haven't had time to look at all the interesting stuff so just chanced on this by luck. For A3+ printer I use Epson Stylus Photo 1290, though I only use it for A3 these days, it too has a roll printer option but can't remember the last time I used it for that.

Works fine under Windows 7, compatible inks are relatively cheap.

It is however getting on (like it's owner) and paper feed is definitely iffy.

They do come up on Ebay from time to time and could do with being possibly replaced.

posted: 2 Dec 2020 09:59

Paul Boyd

Martin Wynne wrote:

Wow, thanks!  I'll have a play later (I'm supposed to be working at home!)

posted: 2 Dec 2020 10:03

Paul Boyd

Stephen Freeman wrote:
Haven't had time to look at all the interesting stuff so just chanced on this by luck. For A3+ printer I use Epson Stylus Photo 1290, though I only use it for A3 these days, it too has a roll printer option but can't remember the last time I used it for that. .
Hi Stephen
That's one I considered a while ago, although the rear page feed made it too bulky for my situation.  The HP printer has a pull-out tray so feeds and ejects from the front.  Although the HP is a relatively old design, it seems to be a sort of bread and butter printer still in production - I'm not sure why I haven't come across it before!  Unfortunately my favoured brand, Canon, don't make one suitable for me at all!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 2 Dec 2020 11:26

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
Martin Wynne wrote:

Wow, thanks!  I'll have a play later (I'm supposed to be working at home!)
Hi Paul, Rob,

On modern hi-res screens it will probably look fuzzy. To fix that:

1. right-click on the file:  TemplotV00Demo.exe

2. click Properties.

3. click Compatibility tab.

4. click Change high DPI settings button.

5. tick box "Override high DPI scaling behaviour".

It should then look crisp when next run.

(The same works on any other old programs which look fuzzy in Windows 10.)

If you click the up-down arrows in the top-left corner of each window, up and down once, it should sort out the window sizes:

2_020609_580000000.png2_020609_580000000.png

p.s. the "keeps box" is now the "storage box". I was persuaded to change the name by Brian Lewis of C&L, and have regretted it ever since. Too late now.

The above window was called the "control room" and is now the "main program panel".

N.B. you will probably notice high CPU usage and a hit to a laptop battery. When closing the program, my system goes unresponsive for a few seconds -- I've no idea what Templot is doing to cause that. Also it seems to clear the Windows clipboard. :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2020 11:37

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

I have had a HP 1280 Deskjet for many years now. It is an A3+ printer. As it has the option for large custom sized paper, I purchased 500 sheets of A1 paper and cut it lengthwise with a Stanley knife to give effectively 1000 double length A3 size sheets. The only major problem I found with it was a bug in the printer driver that was only solved by downloading a printer driver for the HP 1220 model, which has identical hardware. This saga was written up on a separate thread elsewhere on this forum at the time. Otherwise it has proved to be very reliable although it does have odd quirks. For instance, it does not like compatible ink cartridges very much. But it has served me well.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 2 Dec 2020 16:41

Rob Manchester

Paul Boyd wrote:
Stephen Freeman wrote:
Haven't had time to look at all the interesting stuff so just chanced on this by luck. For A3+ printer I use Epson Stylus Photo 1290, though I only use it for A3 these days, it too has a roll printer option but can't remember the last time I used it for that. .
Hi Stephen
That's one I considered a while ago, although the rear page feed made it too bulky for my situation.  The HP printer has a pull-out tray so feeds and ejects from the front.  Although the HP is a relatively old design, it seems to be a sort of bread and butter printer still in production - I'm not sure why I haven't come across it before!  Unfortunately my favoured brand, Canon, don't make one suitable for me at all!

Cheers,
Paul
Hi Paul,
I think I am right in saying that the HP printers have an 'advantage' in that you get a new printhead built into each ink cartridge - with Canon and Epson you are just changing a tank each time you put an ink cartridge in. That used to be the case anyhow, not sure if it still applies to all the printer in the current ranges. The downside of the HP is that off-brand ink is more tricky to make due to the extra bits involved and HP ink can be pricey - but knowing you I suspect you will have checked out the availability/cost/performance ratio before buying the printer :)

What is the maximum paper size the HP driver lets you use ? Just thinking about Tony's idea of cutting sheets in half lengthwise.

Rob

posted: 2 Dec 2020 17:26

Paul Boyd

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Paul,
I think I am right in saying that the HP printers have an 'advantage' in that you get a new printhead built into each ink cartridge - with Canon and Epson you are just changing a tank each time you put an ink cartridge in. That used to be the case anyhow, not sure if it still applies to all the printer in the current ranges. The downside of the HP is that off-brand ink is more tricky to make due to the extra bits involved and HP ink can be pricey - but knowing you I suspect you will have checked out the availability/cost/performance ratio before buying the printer :)

What is the maximum paper size the HP driver lets you use ? Just thinking about Tony's idea of cutting sheets in half lengthwise.

Rob

Hi Rob
I didn't have a close look at the cartridges, but I'm pretty sure these ones didn't have the built in head.  I know some used to, or maybe still have.  Reviews for the 7110 suggest it's not happy with refilled or "compatible" cartridge but given the low use I'm expecting of this printer, I'm less concerned about ink costs than for my primary printer, which is of course a Canon!  Even the small capacity starter cartridges should last a while.  What I did check was how well it fares with intermittent use, and the user guide does say that cartridges can be left in the printer for an extended period of time, so long as it's turned off properly.

According to the blurb, for Windows you can't set custom paper sizes, so the maximum is the A3+.  For a Mac, it's 3"-13" wide and 5" to 44"(!) long.  Not offering custom sizes for Windows is just sheer laziness I think!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 2 Dec 2020 17:30

Paul Boyd

Tony W wrote:
I have had a HP 1280 Deskjet for many years now. It is an A3+ printer. As it has the option for large custom sized paper, I purchased 500 sheets of A1 paper and cut it lengthwise with a Stanley knife to give effectively 1000 double length A3 size sheets. The only major problem I found with it was a bug in the printer driver that was only solved by downloading a printer driver for the HP 1220 model, which has identical hardware. This saga was written up on a separate thread elsewhere on this forum at the time. Otherwise it has proved to be very reliable although it does have odd quirks. For instance, it does not like compatible ink cartridges very much. But it has served me well.
Regards
Tony.
Hi Tony
I've done the same thing for use with a Canon printer, although it wasn't 500 sheets of A1!  I've read elsewhere that HP printers don't like compatibles, and Epson certainly never used to either.  I tend to use genuine cartridges though, but if I'm going to do lots of photo printing it's cheaper to get them done by uploading them to somewhere like Bonusprint, or even take them into Tesco or Boots!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 2 Dec 2020 17:40

Paul Boyd

Martin Wynne wrote:
But it's painful to use, you won't want to do much with it. :)
Good grief, you're not kidding!  It did run nicely on Windows 10, with the slow refresh option it looks fine.  Actually getting past Windows 10's nags took longer than getting the program running!
I remember the "keeps" saga!  I wonder how Brian Lewis is doing these days? 

Oh, and I'd completely forgotten that I'd sent you the sample bit of telex roll!

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited on 2 Dec 2020 17:41 by Paul Boyd
posted: 2 Dec 2020 18:10

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
According to the blurb, for Windows you can't set custom paper sizes, so the maximum is the A3+.  For a Mac, it's 3"-13" wide and 5" to 44"(!) long.  Not offering custom sizes for Windows is just sheer laziness I think!
Hi Paul (also Rob?),

On Windows you set custom paper sizes in the Windows Print Server, not on the printer. All installed printers should then pick up the custom sizes.

It's on the Forms tab in the Print Server Properties dialog. Paper sizes are called "forms" just to make them difficult to find (presumably because the settings also include the margin sizes):

2_021304_080000000.png2_021304_080000000.png

You can change the margins for the existing sizes using the bottom button.

p.s. Scotland, Wales and Ireland would seem to have only the Metric option. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2020 18:15

Martin Wynne

p.s. here's how to get there:

2_021314_590000000.png2_021314_590000000.png

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2020 18:35

Rob Manchester

Martin Wynne wrote:

On Windows you set custom paper sizes in the Windows Print Server, not on the printer. All installed printers should then pick up the custom sizes.

Martin.
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the (non-Templot related) info on custom forms. Unless I am doing something wrong none of my printers pick up a custom form size. Does this only work with Windows native-supported printers rather than with those powered by an OEM driver ?

Here is where I set a custom size :

Rob

2001_021334_560000000.png2001_021334_560000000.png

posted: 2 Dec 2020 18:45

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the (non-Templot related) info on custom forms. Unless I am doing something wrong none of my printers pick up a custom form size. Does this only work with Windows native-supported printers rather than with those powered by an OEM driver ?
Hi Rob,

Sorry, I have no idea. Also, what is native-supported printer? If it works on Windows it must be supported, by definition? :?

Your screenshot is from Windows7, so likely to be completely different!

I will fire up my Windows7 system later, and see what I can find. In the past everything I've set as a custom form has appeared on all printers, but only if they can physically feed the paper size presumably.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2020 19:29

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
I do know about that method, but it does seem as if the HP drivers stubbornly refuse to use any sizes except the ones it knows about.  It seems to be quite a common question about HP printers as far as I can tell.  I’m not sure if it’s worth setting up my little Mac again though!
This is on Windows 10, by the way.

Cheers,
Paul
Last edited on 2 Dec 2020 19:29 by Paul Boyd
posted: 2 Dec 2020 19:37

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,
I pointed out that it was a non-templot area we had strayed into so didn't want to push you into a non-templot support issue.

I seem to remember that some basic printers ( Epson 9 pin dot matrix for example ) just worked with Windows without installing a driver supplied by the maker of the printer. This is going back a good number of years so maybe not still the case.

I will post a question on a printing forum I have used in the past and see if anybody comes back to me.

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > A3+ printer
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020