Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3838exporting to pdf for commercial printing
author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Dec 2020 09:57

David Beale

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I need to get my track plan printed out commercially as it is large (8mx4m).   I assume it is best to convert it to pdf and then send it to somewhere for printing.   A couple of questions.   Do in need to set up the sheet size and orientation, e.g. A1, or continuous plotter, before making the pdf, or does the person doing the printing decide the best/most economical way of doing it?
When it is being printed, does the person printing need to calibrate the printer, or do I just accepted as it is (probably pretty accurate)?

posted: 22 Dec 2020 13:41

stuart1600

United Kingdom

I started a thread on this back in 2017; I'm sure the advice will still stand:

topic 2983

The most important thing is to tell the printer to have his machine set to 100% - and if s/he argues go somewhere else!!

posted: 22 Dec 2020 15:16

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi David,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Stuart's topic is at:

topic 2983

I notice his recommended company has a branch in Penrith.

A bit tied up to write a full reply to your questions at present, I will write more later.

Martin.

posted: 22 Dec 2020 16:52

David Beale

Stuart and Martin,
Thank you both for such swift and helpful replies. Heaton's sound just the job, I've had a quick look at their website.
Martin, thank you for promising to answer my questions, I think that I now know the answers from Stuarts thread! Anyway no rush, I shan't go to Heaton's now until after Christmas.
Stuart, when you have a moment, did you email them the pdf, or take it with you on your laptop or a memory stick? Sorry to be bothering you with such elementary questions - I am happier with wood and metal than electronics!

A very happy Christmas to you both - or as happy as can be in the circumstances, and stay safe!

David

posted: 22 Dec 2020 17:46

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

David Beale wrote:

Stuart, when you have a moment, did you email them the pdf, or take it with you on your laptop or a memory stick?
Hi David
I’ve looked into this in the past as well.  Although I ended up not having a plan commercially printed, I would have definitely gone in with a USB stick so I could explain in person how important it is to print at 100%, and to make sure that that instruction properly registered!

Of course, in the current climate you may have a very good reason not to want to go in person more than necessary.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 23 Dec 2020 21:19

stuart1600

United Kingdom

David,
I took the PDFs on a memory stick.
The lady who served me at Heaton's Penrith was very helpful.  At first she couldn't get the printer to work from my files but discovered that it had been set with a limited length that was way too short to print my plans, the longest of which was 9m; so she reset the limit to something approaching infinity I think and all was well.  That's three years ago but hopefully they are still obliging.
If Penrith is convenient for you we clearly can't be too far away from each other - in happier times I would suggest meeting up, but with current circumstances and infections surging in Eden at the moment that is obviously off the cards.  Send me a PM if you want, but no offence taken if you don't :)

Edit - just noted that you quoted your plan size as 8m x 4m.  You'll need to split that into sections as the printer width is limited to 900mm or thereabouts.
Last edited on 23 Dec 2020 21:21 by stuart1600
posted: 23 Dec 2020 21:31

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hello David,

I would be interested to know if the printed plans are acurate given that I assume the printer won't be calibrated. The track will be laid using gauges but it would be interesting to know how you get on. My plans printed using inkjet and laser at home are very accurate even without calibration.

An idea of the cost would also be welcome.

Seasons Greetings and stay safe.

Rob

posted: 23 Dec 2020 21:38

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Rob,
My plans were certainly accurate; but as a precaution I took a short plan of a couple of turnout templates initially and checked those for accuracy - they were spot on, so I then went back with the long layout plans........
From memory I think I paid around £50 for the 9m plan and a couple of other much shorter ones.  I got the idea that they didn't often do printing on this scale and so there was no list of prices, the lady who served me simply throught of what seemed like an appropriate figure!  Again from memory, I think they did have prices for standard drawing sizes (such as those that would accompany a planning application, A1?) - £10 comes to mind.

Apologies for not signing previous posts - other forums that I'm on have a 'signature' facility which provides a sign-off automatically; I'd completely forgotten that isn't the case here.
Kind regards,
Stuart
Last edited on 23 Dec 2020 21:43 by stuart1600
posted: 23 Dec 2020 21:44

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

stuart1600 wrote:
Rob,
My plans were certainly accurate; but as a precaution I took a short plan of a couple of turnout templates initially and checked those for accuracy - they were spot on, so I then went back with the long layout plans........
From memory I think I paid around £50 for the 9m plan and a couple of other much shorter ones.  I got the idea that they didn't often do printing on this scale and so there was no list of prices, the lady who served me simply throught of what seemed like an appropriate figure!  Again from memory, I think they did have prices for standard drawing sizes (such as those that would accompany a planning application, A1?) - £10 comes to mind.

Apologies for not signing previous posts - other forums that I'm on have a 'signature' facility which provides a sign-off automatically; I'd completely forgotten that isn't the case here.
Kind regards,
Stuart
Hello Stuart,
Thanks for the info. I guess they have to factor in the ink costs etc which could be quite a bit on larger prints.
Rob

posted: 26 Dec 2020 18:30

David Beale

Hello Everyone,

Heaton's in Penrith no longer do printing, which is a shame. But I there are many other places there and in Carlisle that print posters up to A0, which I guess may be done on a roll printer. I shall investigate!

Stuart - that occurred to me as well! We are a little way out of Hesket Newmarket, so perhaps could meet up when things settle down (!).

Best wishes,

David

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > exporting to pdf for commercial printing
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020