Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3840Irregular slips
author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Dec 2020 11:10

Graham Long

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have started making a single slip. My initial step was to "make irregular diamond at intersection". The setup is a main road of 6000mm radius with an adjacent loop road on a radius 6044.67. The ladder turnout was a 1:8 with a resultant turnout radius of 4286.96. The slip will go from the loop road (6044.67 radius) to the branch. This resulted in a one V of 4.37 and the other of 6.86 I thought these were relatively generous curves. However, in another topic Martin  mentioned that a V of 1:5 was  much to small for a slip road. What is considered to be the smallest V that I could use? I could make the branch curve bigger but then there wouldn't be a the same curvature through the ladder and turnout. I would also be interested to know how close the V should be to a whole number or half of one e.g. 1:6, 1:6.5, 1:7 and so on.Thanks for any advice

posted: 23 Dec 2020 12:45

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Graham,

Those crossing angles are too short for an inside slip, other than perhaps in industrial sidings. At those angles it would be more usual to have an outside slip or a half-scissors.

Please if possible post your .box file with questions, otherwise I have to guess what it is exactly that you are trying to do. I think you are making a single line branch junction curving away from the outside of curved double track.

In such locations a half-scissors is the most likely, rather than a slip. Something like this perhaps:

2_230728_020000000.png2_230728_020000000.png

Or maybe something more spacious and easier to build:

2_230743_340000000.png2_230743_340000000.png

If you post your .box file I can be more specific in replying.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Dec 2020 14:26

Graham Long

Graham Long wrote:
I have started making a single slip. My initial step was to "make irregular diamond at intersection". The setup is a main road of 6000mm radius with an adjacent loop road on a radius 6044.67. The ladder turnout was a 1:8 with a resultant turnout radius of 4286.96. The slip will go from the loop road (6044.67 radius) to the branch. This resulted in a one V of 4.37 and the other of 6.86 I thought these were relatively generous curves. However, in another topic Martin  mentioned that a V of 1:5 was  much to small for a slip road. What is considered to be the smallest V that I could use? I could make the branch curve bigger but then there wouldn't be a the same curvature through the ladder and turnout. I would also be interested to know how close the V should be to a whole number or half of one e.g. 1:6, 1:6.5, 1:7 and so on.Thanks for any advice
Hi Martin 
I think I have attached my latest plan. Could you let me know if it makes sense. After your previous reply I think I will stay with a regular slip. The ourside slip looks a bit complicated.
Attachment: attach_3198_3840_Bodmin_No5.box     6

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Irregular slips
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020