topic: 422Curved Diamond - first attempt
author remove search highlighting

posted: 30 Apr 2008 15:06

JFS

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I finally bought a Templot licence last week and have to say I am very pleased with it - my first "layout" being only nicely curved points was done in minutes (the videos are very helpful!)

I then moved on to something a bit more challenging and have had a go at creating a curved double junction - I would appreciate feedback on it.  Please avert your gazes from the junction points (which are dreadful) and the lack of transitions - it is the diamond which was the 'point' of it all.

The most frustrating part of it all was the creation of the very short custom switches which form the basis of the templates for the "Vee" bits of the diamond - I found myself typing in guestimates of values until something came out about right. When I got it wrong, it was a start again job.  Am I missing something here or is this the (current) only way? (I am using PUG 0.91.c)

Martin, Could I make a plea regarding the help documentation?  Would it be possible to collect it all into one file and dump it into a Microsoft (spit) .chm? Then it would be indexable and searchable.  Oh, and how high on the agenda are "Y" points?:D

Best Regards,

Howard.
Attachment: attach_267_422_Curved_Diamond.box 400

posted: 30 Apr 2008 20:52

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Howard,

Many thanks for uploading your file. It's great to see an example of "extreme Temploteering" after using Templot for only a few days. :)

I will write again when I have had a chance to look at it more closely.

JFS wrote:
Martin, Could I make a plea regarding the help documentation? Would it be possible to collect it all into one file and dump it into a Microsoft (spit) .chm? Then it would be indexable and searchable.
I'm not at all keen on the CHM format. The viewer is buggy and has been crippled by Microsoft with the latest security restrictions. But the main objection is that it must be fully downloaded before any of it can be seen. That would currently be about 50MB for the Templot docs. And it would need to be downloaded again every time I make an update. This leads to the same problem as with printed documentation -- users will tend to go on using it long after it has gone out of date.

Instead I have software which can mimic the CHM format as a web site. This means that I can update individual topics, and have the latest version always available to users. I have made a test run of the format using the XTrkCad help file, including search and indexing -- see it at:  XTrkCad Help

I'm working towards converting all of the Templot Companion to this same format.

Oh, and how high on the agenda are "Y" points? :D
They are on the list, but there is a lot of stuff above them. Your irregular diamonds for one thing. :) There is a static tutorial about creating symmetrical Y-turnouts and splitting switch deflections at:  Y-turnout tutorial

If you use those methods, you should be able to change your rather odd C-5 turnouts to A-5. Splitting the deflection on an A switch makes it more suitable for use in a running line.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 May 2008 03:11

JFS

United Kingdom

Martin,

Many thanks for the reply and the kind offer to have a look.

I have now had a go at the switches and, yes, an "A" with slit delfelction looks much better - if a bit tedious to do.

50Mb is quite some helpfile!  I don't think even MS win32 is that big! But I look forward to your alternative.

I have now had a go at a tandem - it took me about three hours but I did do the check rails this time. .box herewith for all to criticise.

Would it be *Easy* to add a preview button to those lengthy data-entry dialogues (like the wing / check customise)? They nearly caused me to lose the will to live trying to remember all the meanings of the different values and if it were possilbe to see the effects *real time* then it would be a big help.

All the same, I am quite pleased with the results - the printed version looks fabulous.

Many thanks again,

Howard.
Attachment: attach_270_422_Tandem.box 354

posted: 2 May 2008 03:40

Martin Wynne

JFS wrote:
50Mb is quite some helpfile!  I don't think even MS win32 is that big! But I look forward to your alternative.

I have now had a go at a tandem - it took me about three hours but I did do the check rails this time. .box herewith for all to criticise.

Would it be *Easy* to add a preview button to those lengthy data-entry dialogues (like the wing / check customise)? They nearly caused me to lose the will to live trying to remember all the meanings of the different values and if it were possilbe to see the effects *real time* then it would be a big help.

Hi Howard,

The tutorials contain several hundred full-screen screenshots, hence the large file size.

The wing and check rail dialogs are due to be replaced completely, and there will be an option to adjust the wing and check rails directly by mouse action (sneak preview):

adjust_checks.pngadjust_checks.png

Sorry to say your tandem contains a fundamental error -- the second switch is too close to the first one. :( This is a common mistake. There isn't room for the second switch blade to open behind the first switch rail. The prototype switch opening is 4.1/4" to ensure an adequate flange clearance (2" min) all along behind the open blade. You have only allowed about a rail width (2.3/4") of space for the blade to open:

howard_tandem.pnghoward_tandem.png

It is also necessary to have room for the stretcher bar brackets. As a rough guide, you need a minimum of 10" between the running edges of the first switch at the toe of the second switch.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2008 03:23

JFS

United Kingdom

Martin,

Many thanks for the reply.

I like the  proposed dialogue boxes - I expect that you are well prepared for the pressure you will now come under to release...   :D

Does this proposal allow you have one flare bent and the other machined on the same rail? Such things were quite common in the middle of complex formations.

If you have "Great Western Railway Engine Sheds - London Division" (Wild Swan), on page 219 there is a photo of Reading which shows a cross-over composed of two points of very contrasting design - the difference in the length of flaring is marked. Also, the closure rail chairs under the far point are all packed - presumably to create super-elevation on both roads.

I don't know if it is The Thing to scan such items for posting to a Place Like This....

Thanks for pointing out the error in the tandem - I had not spotted it and it is quite an easy trap to fall into - better to find these things early I think.

I did wonder about it when I was positioning the switches and I was thinking that you would never reverse the second set unless the first set were normal - it makes no operational sense - and the problem would only arise if both sets were reversed at the same time.  Such interlocking would be essential if it were a three-way in any case - since the points are then superposed.

Best Regards,

Howard.

posted: 7 May 2008 04:04

Martin Wynne

JFS wrote:
I like the  proposed dialogue boxes - I expect that you are well prepared for the pressure you will now come under to release... :D
Hi Howard,

I don't recognise pressure. It's ready when it's ready. I started Templot in 1979, so that's 29 years and counting... :)

Other things are more important at present. I'm currently working on PDF output for wide-format roll printers and the diagram mode output. I also want to improve or replace the entire Background Shapes functions with something more flexible and user friendly.

Does this proposal allow you have one flare bent and the other machined on the same rail? Such things were quite common in the middle of complex formations.
Yes. But you can do that now with partial templates.

If you have "Great Western Railway Engine Sheds - London Division" (Wild Swan), on page 219 there is a photo of Reading
I don't, but I will look out for it. Thanks for the tip.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Curved Diamond - first attempt
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020