Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Linked from RMweb:

file.php?id=13320file.php?id=13320
© Captain Kernow

An old-type GWR (BR/W) 12ft loose-heel curved switch.

It's unusual to see this in a "running" line. The timbers look to be in remarkably good condition for such an old switch design, which suggests re-use of old material on new timbers at some stage.

Notice the 3/8" deep joggle in the stock rails. Much less pronounced than is often modelled.

I will Gimp this later and see if we can get the crossing angle. 1:8 at a guess.

Using these old loose-heel switches in Templot can often save you a lot of space over the REA flexible switches (A, B, C, etc.) by shortening the turnout. You don't have to model a working loose-heel if you don't want to -- just use the old geometry. :)

Martin.

posted: 2 May 2008 10:57

Peter Salathiel

Bangkok - Thailand

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the photo of the 12ft loose-heel switch. It's always good to see what things are supposed to look like <g>

I raed somewhere that the GWR often used old loose heel switches as the basis catch points when the new curved switches came into favour. Would I be correct in using the same on Bridgend (GWR) rather than the straight heel switch shown in your video?

Which raises another question: how does one pivot the loose-heel switch. Will a C&L brass chair do the job?

Best Regards
Peter

posted: 2 May 2008 13:20

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Peter wrote:
Which raises another question: how does one pivot the loose-heel switch. Will a C&L brass chair do the job?
I've used a C&L brass fishplate as the pivot.  I drilled out one of the "bolts", and drilled a corresponding hole in the blade, then used a piece of brass wire to act as the bolt, carefully soldered to the fishplate.  The other end of the fishplate is soldered to the closure rail, and a wire dropper on the blade takes care of power.  The chair at the end of the blade just acts as a dummy - cosmetic only.

posted: 2 May 2008 16:04

Nigel Brown

Pivoting a loose-heel switch? I use a plastic chair (this is 3mm fine scale 14.2mm gauge); the logic was that the rail would work itself into a suitably "loose" state in the plastic. In practice, the rail flexes enough for this not to happen or be needed. The Ian Osborne chairs I use are fairly tough; I'm not sure that something more fragile would be a good idea. On this basis I reckon a brass chair would be fine; as Martin suggested, from a practical point of view treat it as a flexible switch even if it looks like a loose heel one.

Martin's point about such switches saving space is a good one; I used six on my second basboard to good effect, although part of the reason for using them was just to see if they'd work.

cheers
Nigel

posted: 4 May 2008 01:36

Blakey boy

Hi all

Just seen the photo and if I am not mistaken that is the only surviving set of points left of the what was Grendon Underwood Junction on the line between Aylesbury and Claydon LN&E Junction. If anybody is interested and that picture if memory serves me correct is looking towards Aylesbury if you turned right then you would end up at the former Ashenden "Flying" Junction between Princes Risborough and Haddenham and Thame. I have got to admit that the photo brought back a lot of memories when I used to work over the line working the "Bin Liners" from either Northolt or Brentford to Calvert.

Cheers

Bob Lawrence

posted: 9 May 2008 21:31

Martin Wynne

Blakey boy wrote:
Just seen the photo and if I am not mistaken that is the only surviving set of points left of the what was Grendon Underwood Junction on the line between Aylesbury and Claydon LN&E Junction.
Hi Bob,

Sorry to disappoint you, but the photographer now reports that this turnout is at Newton Abbot on the Heathfield branch. Here's a view looking the other way. Fortunately the points are clipped, because the fishplates are missing on the left: :(

file.php?id=14363file.php?id=14363
© Captain Kernow

See also: full discussion on RMweb

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 May 2008 22:24

Nigel Brown

Think this is the same spot, a couple of years earlier:-
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/12051

Nigel

posted: 9 May 2008 23:00

Martin Wynne

Nigel Brown wrote:
Think this is the same spot, a couple of years earlier:-
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/12051
Hi Nigel,

Many thanks for that. I've posted the link on RMweb. And here's the picture:

heathfield_private_sdg.jpgheathfield_private_sdg.jpg
© Mike Crowe. Uploaded from Geograph under the Creative Commons Licence.

ECC private siding and sheds, Heathfield, 23 May, 2005:
This is the now unused Heathfield to Newton Abbot branch line, with a view of the English China Clay transfer shed and private siding on the right. This line formerly carried rail traffic to Moretonhampstead on Dartmoor and also up the Teign valley to Exeter, via Christow. In recent times, it still served two factories at nearby Heathfield Industrial Estate, although nowadays it is virtually moth-balled. There are regular rumours that it may be reopened in the future.
©  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/12051

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Old-type GWR switch pic
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020