topic: 4341943 American tracks in colour
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 May 2008 02:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Many thanks to Bill Hoshiko on the handlaidtrack group for finding these images linked here from the American Memory collection.

America from the Great Depression to World War II: Color Photographs from the FSA-OWI, 1939-1945

1a34749v.jpg1a34749v.jpg
Santa Fe R.R. going through Yucca, Arizona; a watering and refueling stop March 1943

1a34738v.jpg1a34738v.jpg
Santa Fe R.R. train, Melrose, New Mexico  March 1943

1a34663v.jpg1a34663v.jpg
Tracks at C & NW RR's Proviso yard, Chicago, Ill. 1943 April

1a34714v.jpg1a34714v.jpg
The giant Santa Fe R.R. 10 million bushel grain elevator, Kansas March 1943

1a34662v.jpg1a34662v.jpg
Tracks at Proviso yard of C & NW RR, Chicago, Ill.  April 1943

1a34785v.jpg1a34785v.jpg
General view of part of the South Water Street Illinois Central Railroad freight terminal, Chicago, Ill.  April 1943

1a34631v.jpg1a34631v.jpg
View of a classification yard at C & NW RR's Proviso yard, Chicago, Ill. Dec 1942

1a34733v.jpg1a34733v.jpg
Santa Fe R.R. train stopping for coal and water, Laguna, New Mexico  March 1943

Brilliant -- thanks Bill. :)

Martin.

posted: 14 May 2008 04:51

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

1a34631v.jpg1a34631v.jpg
View of a classification yard at C & NW RR's Proviso yard, Chicago, Ill. Dec 1942
You could get a *train* lost in a place like this. :)

I don't suppose it still exists.

John

posted: 15 May 2008 22:13

Martin Wynne

John Lewis wrote
You could get a *train* lost in a place like this. :)

I don't suppose it still exists.
Hi John,

See:

proviso2.jpgproviso2.jpg

proviso1.jpgproviso1.jpg

In Virtual Earth at:  Proviso Yard

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 May 2008 00:03

Alan Pearmain

Harrogate - United Kingdom

Is it a hump shunting yard?  It looks like there are thirteen braking sections with loose vehicles on the move.  Rather risky with a roadway crossing five diverging lines near the yard throat, I should have thought.

How likely is it that the same tracks and sleepers that were in the 1943 pictures are still in place 60-odd years later?

Alan

posted: 16 May 2008 00:21

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote
In Virtual Earth at:  Proviso Yard
Martin

Fascinating.  Thank you.

John

posted: 16 May 2008 00:36

Martin Wynne

Alan Pearmain wrote:
Is it a hump shunting yard?  It looks like there are thirteen braking sections with loose vehicles on the move.  Rather risky with a roadway crossing five diverging lines near the yard throat, I should have thought.
Hi Alan,

Yes the hump is at the west end. I assume this is the control cabin on the left:

proviso3.jpgproviso3.jpg

More about this yard is being discussed at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/handlaidtrack/message/6484

How likely is it that the same tracks and sleepers that were in the 1943 pictures are still in place 60-odd years later?
Not very likely I would have thought, but it would be worth asking on the handlaid track group above.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 May 2008 01:00

Bruce Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Martin Wynne wrote:
Alan Pearmain wrote:
Hi Alan,

Yes the hump is at the west end. I assume this is the control cabin on the left
Yes, as Martin noted it is a hump yard.  The hump tower is on the left side of the picture as Martin as shown in the bird's eye view.  You can make out the steps going up the embankment.  To the right of the lattice work light tower are the first sets of retarders.

Bruce Wilson
Barrie, Ontario

posted: 16 May 2008 03:03

Nigel Brown

Any idea what size of rail would have been used in 1943? Or to put it differently, in HO would it equate to Code 83 say, or something lighter? I'm guessing but it looks to me like something lighter.

Nigel

posted: 16 May 2008 08:54

Andy Reichert

Nigel Brown wrote:
Any idea what size of rail would have been used in 1943? Or to put it differently, in HO would it equate to Code 83 say, or something lighter? I'm guessing but it looks to me like something lighter.
Depends on the railway co, the era and the use. I.e. yards, heavy main line, old light branch, etc. Range would be 60 Lb FB up to about 120 Lb FB.

So mainline of that era would be likely be modeled code 70 ish, with code 70 or code 55 in the yards, depending on their loading. Older yards and spurs could easily be code 40.

The US is unlike the UK in that rail size varied widely on each company due to age and use.

Andy

posted: 17 May 2008 17:19

Roger Henry

Brisbane - Australia

If you "Google" Proviso Yard you will get a surprising number of 'hits' that will keep you away from your modelling for some time.

Roger,

Brisbane

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > 1943 American tracks in colour
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020