topic: 487Single slip template problem
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Jul 2008 21:32

its_all_downhill

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Having mastered the basics of Templot now and am comfortable creating easy plans with points I am now trying to create some more complicated plans. I am trying to create a single slip and have been using the vidorials and making a step by step list from them but no matter how hard I try I cannot get the check rail on the inner side of the slip to fit. Not sure if these are the right terms correct me if I am wrong.

I have attached a pic and the box file for people to kindly advise me where I am going wrong? This is in Z Gauge so don't know if this has any bearing.. The rest looks right but I could be wrong there too?

Regards
Tom
Attachment: attach_319_487_sstest3.JPG 1106

posted: 12 Jul 2008 21:33

its_all_downhill

..and box file
Attachment: attach_320_487_sstest3.box 355

posted: 12 Jul 2008 22:58

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

its_all_downhill wrote:
Having mastered the basics of Templot now and am comfortable creating easy plans with points I am now trying to create some more complicated plans. I am trying to create a single slip and have been using the vidorials and making a step by step list from them but no matter how hard I try I cannot get the check rail on the inner side of the slip to fit. Not sure if these are the right terms correct me if I am wrong.

I have attached a pic and the box file for people to kindly advise me where I am going wrong? This is in Z Gauge so don't know if this has any bearing.. The rest looks right but I could be wrong there too?

Regards
Tom
Tom,

You're not going wrong.  It's a result of the comparatively coarse standards used in Z scale which causes the check rail to be pushed hard up against the back of the slip rail.  I think I remember a thread on here a while ago discussing the same problem occurring on 4mm scale 00 gauge slips.   Practically,  you are probably going to have to lay the slip rail,  then cut and file a piece of rail to solder or glue to the back of the slip rail that reproduces as much of the check rail as you can squeeze in.    I think you will find the same situation in RTR slips made to coarser track standards.

Or you can start modelling in exact scale Proto:Z to avoid the problem. :)

Jim.

posted: 12 Jul 2008 23:10

its_all_downhill

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Tom,
[snip]
Or you can start modelling in exact scale Proto:Z to avoid the problem. :)
Jim.

Hi Jim

Thanks for the reply, now I know that it wasn't my blunderings makes me a lot more confident to give this a go.

Proto:Z hmm gulp.. think that is beyond me at mo.. :D

Regards
Tom

posted: 12 Jul 2008 23:47

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

its_all_downhill wrote:
no matter how hard I try I cannot get the check rail on the inner side of the slip to fit
Hi Tom,

The problem is the very wide overscale flangeway gaps. In Z gauge the flangeway is 10% of the track gauge, much wider than in any other standard-gauge standard.

The result is that it is effectively impossible to fit a functional K-crossing check rail in the space available. You can change the settings in Templot so that there is only a tiny bit of check rail in the space behind the slip rail (see below), but I'm not convinced it could be built to run reliably that way.

Much the best solution is to build it with movable K-crossings (switch-diamond), which don't require check rails, like this (this is a double slip). But it means extra point motors are needed:

00sf_dslip6_movablek.png00sf_dslip6_movablek.png

There is a long discussion about this subject and more diagrams in this previous topic .

However, you have made matters worse by using the 1:32 slip switches intended for 1:7 diamonds. These are 1:6 diamonds, so the 1:24 slip switches are more suitable. I changed them, and it gains you a bit more space for the K-crossing check rails:

z_slip1.pngz_slip1.png

The settings for the check rails are at real > K-crossing options > K-crossing check rails... menu item. I reduced the length by 48" (i.e. enter a negative modifier), and for a single slip that's on the MS side for one half-diamond and the DS side for the other. To get it looking anything reasonable I had to reduce the end flare to zero, which unfortunately applies to both check rails. You would need to remember to flare the ends a little during construction:

z_slip2.pngz_slip2.png

I've uploaded the .box file for you: Z 1:6 single slip , but I don't really think it's a practical design. I would recommend a switch-diamond instead as explained above.

(Right-click the link, then select  Save Target As...  or  Save Link As... )

regards,

Martin.

edit: while preparing this reply I have overlapped with Jim. There was a Proto:Z layout at a recent RMweb exhibition. I will dig out a link unless someone else gets there first. :)

posted: 13 Jul 2008 03:54

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

I wrote:
There was a Proto:Z layout at a recent RMweb exhibition. I will dig out a link unless someone else gets there first.

Pictures of Brian Harrap's amazing Proto:220 layout at the RMweb Members' Day at Taunton in April 2008. It's a long photo-intensive page, these pictures start at the 4th image down:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22163

Here's one of them, linked from RMweb. You won't believe this -- it's mixed gauge 6.5mm and 4.5mm gauge in 1:220 scale (Z scale):

Z4.jpgZ4.jpg
© RMweb.co.uk

More of this amazing railway on the above link.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 13 Jul 2008 12:34

its_all_downhill

Hi Martin

Just got up for an early morning cup of tea as the sun is beating down and am unable to lie in, even though undulging last night in fine wine and food :) All I can say is I am gobsmacked!! I thought Z was bad enough but to have, I guess metre gauge Z? as well that is just crazy!! so that must be Zm gauge

On your response above I will read through and digest in more detail. I did however think that it was not a 1:7 but was following the vidorial so stuck with those measurements.

Thanks for an excellent early morning web browsing session, am off to look up Zm

Regards
Tom

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Single slip template problem
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020