topic: 535Help with printing
author remove search highlighting

posted: 30 Aug 2008 22:49

pjhill

Hereford - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have just started to get to grips with this great software and have been mapping Plymouth Millbay in P4 quite successfully over an imported background plan.  Albeit that using the software "clicked" about 2330 and I was going great guns until I got dragged off about 0230 in the morning by my grumpy better half!  However I cannot print more than 2 pages at best regardless of what I do.  I have reduced the resolution on the printer which just means I now get to the stop point faster :) and have tried printing straight to printer rather than spooling.  It just sits there with the software not responding until I close it out which usually triggers the end "feed" from the printer and then nothing. 

I have read everything I can find in the archives but to no avail so grateful for any steers.  The rig is a dual core Intel with 2GB RAM and top range graphics card running Vista ultimate and SP1.  The printer is an Epson DX4850 and all other printing from within Templot 0.91c (or other programmes) is fine.  During printing the processor load goes to about 50%, memory loading is around 45% and there are regular spikes of hard drive activity but nothing appears to be maxing out.

Any ideas would be welcome as I actually want to get on with the sequence of 3 double slips from the carriage sidings to the dock lines rather than be mucking around with printers!

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil

posted: 31 Aug 2008 01:11

Nigel Brown

Hi Phil

I take it you've done the obvious, i.e. clicked on "print entire pad", and when finally you get to the point where you select which sheets you want printed, you click "print all remaining pages"?

cheers
Nigel

posted: 31 Aug 2008 02:31

pjhill

Nigel Brown wrote:
Hi Phil

I take it you've done the obvious, i.e. clicked on "print entire pad", and when finally you get to the point where you select which sheets you want printed, you click "print all remaining pages"?

cheers
Nigel

Nigel,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes I've tried both printing all and attempting to print each in turn - same result I am afraid.

Phil

posted: 31 Aug 2008 02:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Phil,

Are you trying to print just the templates, or the picture shape image also? In colour, greyscale or black&white? Was the background scan done in colour, greyscale or black&white?

Is this a laser printer or an inkjet printer? Is the printer driver Vista compatible? Have you tried downloading the latest driver?

Have you looked at this topic:

topic 227 - message 1162

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Aug 2008 16:06

pjhill

Martin,

The printer is an inkjet using the "latest" Epson drivers.  I have also completely removed and reinstalled it.  I don't have any problems with anything else so I suspect that it is not specifically a Vista/driver issue.

The background image is greyscale but I am not including the background shape in the print.  In fact I have generated a new template spanning 4 pages to try and sort out what is happening. I have tried printing both colour and greyscale and unchecked any infilling to try and reduce the file size but to no avail.

I suspect it may be an Epson type problem as the computer insists on dumping a series of temp files regardless of whether I spool, print direct or disable this function in the Epson monitor. It seems to pring the first page to 0kb then not move to the next.  I wonder if this is an Epson problem and am tempted to invest in another printer just to support Templot operations.  The latter has the advantage of preventing kid's schoolwork from depleting paper and ink!

I have read any post that contains the word "print" several times now!

Phil

posted: 31 Aug 2008 19:19

Martin Wynne

pjhill wrote:
The printer is an inkjet using the "latest" Epson drivers.  I have also completely removed and reinstalled it. I don't have any problems with anything else so I suspect that it is not specifically a Vista/driver issue.

The background image is greyscale but I am not including the background shape in the print.  In fact I have generated a new template spanning 4 pages to try and sort out what is happening. I have tried printing both colour and greyscale and unchecked any infilling to try and reduce the file size but to no avail.
Hi Phil,

Thanks for the details.

I don't have Vista here, nor any printer less than a few years old, so it is difficult for me to test.

So calling everyone using Vista -- any problems in printing multiple pages?

And is anyone using an Epson DX4850 with Templot? Any problems?

Phil, if you attach your .box file here, other Vista users can have a go at printing it and report any problems.

A possible workaround is to install a virtual printer PDF generator such as pdf995 (free) or Win2PDF and print your template pages to that as PDF files. Set the graphics dpi for the PDF as close as possible to your printer dpi, e.g. 600dpi. When printing them using Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader, make sure the page scaling is set to "none".

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Aug 2008 21:24

pjhill

Martin,

Using pdf995 I can print (although with some odd effects - can't get colour for example) so I can move on.  I will try another printer this week and see if it is something peculiar to my setup.

Thanks for the help, I will now get on with my trackwork.

Phil

posted: 1 Sep 2008 03:48

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

So calling everyone using Vista -- any problems in printing multiple pages?

I've printed from Vista Home using an HP Photosmart inkjet and had no problems with printing multiple A4 sheets.  The setup is the new PC at my business so I can't get at it at the moment to try anything else.

Jim.

posted: 1 Sep 2008 03:59

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

pjhill wrote:
Martin,

Using pdf995 I can print (although with some odd effects - can't get colour for example) so I can move on.  I will try another printer this week and see if it is something peculiar to my setup.

Thanks for the help, I will now get on with my trackwork.

Phil
Phil,

I was wondering if you could have got round your problem by printing single sheets from the "Print entire pad" facility by using the "omit pages" up to whichever page it is in the sequence and "cancel all remaining pages" after that page.  This could be a labour intensive operation,  but would at least give you a full set of sheets in standard Templot format. :)

Jim.

posted: 1 Sep 2008 08:09

Templot User

Posted By Email

pjhill wrote:

----- from Richard Leslie -----

Hi,

I am using Vista and having no problems printing to a HP printer. Though I will comment that the HP laser printer (Laserjet 3015) varies too much on the longitudinal portion of the print to be able to use successfully (accurately) in multiple page prints.

My question is with PDF printing. As I only have a HP laser printer, if I choose to print to the PDF printer (Adobe Acrobat professional) I am unable, or so it seems, to print in colour. I have also found that the PDF output doesn't sit inside its margins very well, though this is only cosmetic and once printed on another printer is still usable.

Second question, is there a way to output the entire pad as an image. I would like to import the plan into Photoshop so I can play with signal placements etc.

Thanks

Richard.

posted: 1 Sep 2008 17:32

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

[So calling everyone using Vista -- any problems in printing multiple pages?]

Martin

I am using Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavillion with an Epson R280 (8.5" x 11") and an HP K8600 (11" x 17"). No trouble with multiple pages on either of these.

Glen

posted: 3 Sep 2008 02:10

pjhill

Thanks for all the replies and help.  I am away from home and my pc during the week so any more attempts will have to wait until then.  I still suspect its something to do with communications between Vista Ultimate, Templot and the print manager/driver.  I have an HP printer waiting for me at home to try this weekend.

I have tried printing single sheets from the pad but succes is intermittent, seems to depend on the progress bar indication in the print menu.

In pdf995 I get the same restriction to B&W that Richard reports and timber infill is a horrible cross hatch, workable for draft but horrendous for track building especially after a couple of single malts :)

Phil

posted: 6 Sep 2008 17:37

pjhill

I have tried a new printer, HP office Jet 4500 and get the same effect.  Basically if I select a page from the pad and print the printer starts, although no form feed, but does nothign else until I select "cancel remaining pages".  The print pad window indicates "not responding" and the selected page prints correctly.  The print pad closes out to the main window and I can carry on or repreat the process to my hearts content.  Thus I can print the whole but v slowly.  This seems to be a problem with Vista Ultimate and Templot, probably around the handshaling between the programmes as multiple page printing (including graphics intensive) is fine with other programmes.  Probably not enough of an Ultimate user community to constitiute a "bug" and doesn't hamper anything else in this fine progamme so printing for me in future will constiture more than 2 fingers of single malt to achieve.:D

Regards all and once again thanks for the help.

Phil

posted: 6 Sep 2008 18:18

Martin Wynne

pjhill wrote:
I have tried a new printer, HP office Jet 4500 and get the same effect.  Basically if I select a page from the pad and print the printer starts, although no form feed, but does nothing else until I select "cancel remaining pages".
Hi Phil,

Is there some misunderstanding here?

It is not intended to print anything until you click either the cancel all remaining pages button or the print all remaining pages button.

Until then, clicking the print page or omit page buttons in sequence simply tells Templot which pages you want, it doesn't start the print process.

The dialog has been that way for years, but thinking about it again now I think perhaps the yellow button should change from cancel printing to omit all remaining pages after the first one is selected. I will look into that. Thanks for prompting me to think about it. :)

What happens if you simply click the print all remaining pages button when the dialog first appears?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Sep 2008 18:19

Nigel Brown

Have you tried ignoring what the printer is actually doing and simply going ahead and selecting all the pages you want printed, ending with the last or "print remaining pages" or "cancel remaining pages" as appropriate? What you describe will correctly only print one page.

Nigel

posted: 6 Sep 2008 20:33

pjhill

Martin,

Success.  Clearly I was getting confused although in my defence I have tried so many combinations of printing that I had rather lost the bubble on the preferred route.  Multi page printing works fine with the HP, it is the Epson or rather its peculiar interface through the driver that seems to be the problem.  I will now spend the rest of this wet afternoon on a scissors crossover.

Many thanks,

Phil

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Help with printing
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020