topic: 573Clifton Down
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Sep 2008 01:39

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I find folk's dreams and aspirations fascinating. Here is mine - my retirement  'job', The track plan is finalised and is a direct copy taken from a 1:1250 cadastral. The double track curve at the top is the main line.

Clifton Down is a modellers dream. It sits in a bowl with road bridges at either end and buildings - many of which are still there, on the other two sides. The station building is huge and I was fortunate enough to obtain 1:50 detailed drawings.  Traffic covered a wide range - a branch line to Severn Beach and freight, including banana and oil block trains to and from Avonmouth. 'Monkey Specials' - trains of school children visiting Bristol Zoo came from all over the UK. Due to an incident in one of the tunnels  when an engine failed and the children panicked, it was decreed they they should be double headed. I have a photograph of a formation of ex LNER teak coaches being hauled by a Castle and a 28XX. Circus and Military trains, composed mainly of Horse boxes, unloaded here en route for the Downs.  As you can see, the coal yard is extensive.  You can see the potential..... I have never built a layout depicting the post nationalisation era, nor one with diesels, so this will be a first.

This plan is drawn in O-XF, but I also have one drawn in P4. All I need is for God to grant me time enough to construct it. :)
Attachment: attach_352_573_clifton08_09_28_2009_31.box 506

posted: 30 Sep 2008 13:26

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Brian,

How are you 'placing' the station on the layout overall?  Are you going to make a large oval main line with the station on one side and hidden sidings on the other,  or are you going to use two sets of hidden sidings with the Whiteladies Road and St.Johns Road bridges as the scenic breaks?

I never saw the station with its goods yard since I think that the shopping centre had been built on the yard by the time I arrived in Bristol,  but I occasionally wandered down to the passenger station for a quick look on several occasions - my business was at one time at the bottom of Cotham Hill,  almost "just across the road".

Jim.
Last edited on 30 Sep 2008 13:27 by Jim Guthrie
posted: 30 Sep 2008 14:30

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Brian Lewis wrote:
This plan is drawn in O-XF
Hi Brian,

I had a quick look at your plan. Actually it's in 0-SF (31.2mm gauge), not 0-XF (31.0mm gauge). I don't know if that was a typo in your message, or an error in setting the gauge/scale. The difference affects the lead lengths of the turnouts slightly.

I also noticed that you have two sidings in the goods yard with less than 6ft way between them. They appear to be at 10ft centres (70mm) instead of 11ft-2in* centres for 6ft way (78.17mm). If your stock is less than 10ft wide it should just clear. Maybe these tracks really were at that spacing on the prototype plan? But it certainly looks odd.

Likewise the main lines are not correctly spaced, and this is surely wrong? Where you have an unfinished diamond/slip the running lines appear to be at around 73mm centres, varying. (geometry > adjacent track centres... menu item.)

*In fact for GWR and BR(W) it should be 6ft-6in way to the gauge faces, giving minimum centres of 11ft-2.1/2" (78.46mm).

Also you have the timbering set at 9ft length on the templates. They will include dotted marks at 8ft-6in, but if you know this will be a post-war layout it is better to change the running-line templates to 8ft-6in timbering to avoid mistakes. No doubt there would be some 9ft timbers remaining in the goods yard (real > timbering > menu options).

Otherwise it's looking good. I like plans with plenty of shunting potential, especially in 7mm scale where you have effective working buffers and 3-link couplings big enough to see. :) 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 30 Sep 2008 15:16

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Thanks for the input Martin. In fact this plan overlays the cadastral exactly. Now this could not be entirely accurate when scaled down, as it is, to 1:1250, so we assumed there would be some tweaking. Another consideration is the resultant depth. Our ability to reach the centre of the goods yard baseboard seems to be in question. I hate the idea of hatches, but do want to model it faithfully. (This is one reason why we have the layout also drawn in P4).

I have attached a copy of the cadastral, (hope I am not treading on the OS's IP rights). It gives an excellent guide to the scenic and operating opportunities.

Crown Copyright 1951.
Attachment: attach_360_573_scan0001.jpg 642

posted: 30 Sep 2008 15:31

Martin Wynne

Brian Lewis wrote:
I have attached a copy of the cadastral, (hope I am not treading on the OS's IP rights). It gives an excellent guide to the scenic and operating opportunities.
Hi Brian,

Many thanks for the excellent map. You are ok -- "printed and published 1951" is before the 50-year limit. So all that is required is a "Crown Copyright" statement. I have added it for you. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 30 Sep 2008 15:37

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Brian, how are you 'placing' the station on the layout overall? Are you going to make a large oval main line with the station on one side and hidden sidings on the other, or are you going to use two sets of hidden sidings with the Whiteladies Road and St.Johns Road bridges as the scenic breaks?

I never saw the station with its goods yard since I think that the shopping centre had been built on the yard by the time I arrived in Bristol, but I occasionally wandered down to the passenger station for a quick look on several occasions - my business was at one time at the bottom of Cotham Hill, almost "just across the road".
Hi Jim,

When I retire and sell C+L I will have the C+L store, which is 34 feet x 32 feet. I have never built a continuous circuit layout, but with that amount of space I should be able to create one with realistic radii - I have in mind a folded 'L' shape. My idea was to build  one of the smaller stations - Redland, or perhaps Sea Mills, in front = outside, of the fiddle yard.

Perhaps when you retire you could help me build it?

posted: 30 Sep 2008 15:44

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Thanks for the tip Martin - I will remember that.

When you look at prototype plans you can see that there are regiments of stations just begging to be modelled. If I had not settled on Clifton Down, I would most probably have modelled Redruth. For those with space constraints, Compton on the DN &S or perhaps Rothbury on the NBR.

posted: 30 Sep 2008 20:53

Martin Wynne

+++ Plan of Crewkerne moved +++

rodney_hills wrote:
Perhaps you want to move this stuff to a separate thread?
Done. :) The Crewkerne plan is now at -- topic 577

Apologies to Brian for hijacking his topic.

Martin.

posted: 30 Sep 2008 21:03

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

No apology required Martin. I can see why Crewkerne has caught your eye.

But as with all prototype layouts, the potential only really become reality if you have some idea of the passenger and goods operations.

I know very little about Crewkerne station, even though it is only 50 miles from here. Crewkerne is a sleeply little town. I wonder what the traffic was that made that layout worthwhile?

posted: 1 Oct 2008 02:39

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Brian Lewis wrote:
[Draws air through teeth] That would mean changing from Midland to GWR and S7 to 0-Even yet more narrower - could push me too far. :)

But yes,  I would like to help when I retire - which might not be too far away if the US continues its financial antics and prevents investment in feature films. :(

Jim.

posted: 1 Oct 2008 14:53

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

For those who may be interested, I append the track plan of Clifton Down in P4.

Having seen some interesting track plans on this elist of late, I do wonder whether it would be possible to build a library  of useful potential layouts for members to examine, learn from and possibly adapt for their own use?
Attachment: attach_361_573_clifton82c.box 391

posted: 1 Oct 2008 15:16

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
[Draws air through teeth] That would mean changing from Midland to GWR and S7 to 0-Even yet more narrower - could push me too far. :)

But yes, I would like to help when I retire - which might not be too far away if the US continues its financial antics and prevents investment in feature films. :(
Jim,

As with the passing of the years, Judas may hope for forgiveness, so it is that even at death's door it is not too late to return to the path of, (GWR), righteousness.

But it has to come from within. Remember your Goethe, for in Faust did he not lament?

"I'd yield me to the Devil instantly,
Did it not happen that myself am he!"

S7? I would happily build it in S7 were it not for the fact that I have an goodly stud of F7 locomotives and stock, which runs well into three figures. I am too old to change now. :(

Regards

Brian Lewis

posted: 1 Oct 2008 16:09

Martin Wynne

Brian Lewis wrote:
For those who may be interested, I append the track plan of Clifton Down in P4.

Having seen some interesting track plans on this elist of late, I do wonder whether it would be possible to build a library of useful potential layouts for members to examine, learn from and possibly adapt for their own use?
Hi Brian,

Well that was the idea of this "Share and Show" forum anyway:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_forum.php?id=12

Start a topic and add scans, screenshots, Templot data files, whatever, as message attachments. I could set up an Image Gallery type of web site if it would be a better way for members to upload screenshots and scans where others could easily find them?

Combined with the old Yahoo group files there is a lot of info here on Templot Club already. The difficulty is in organizing the data so that users can find what they are looking for. Any volunteers to create and maintain an index for Templot Club? :) It's a lot of work.

Templot screenshots, pictures, track plans and work in progress are also regularly posted on RMweb, so ideally those pages would be included in such an index too. See for example this current RMweb topic from Hayfield of this parish:

Bromley Road 1     Bromley Road 2

It's looking good, John. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Oct 2008 21:32

Martin Wynne

I wrote:
I could set up an Image Gallery type of web site if it would be a better way for members to upload screenshots and scans where others could easily find them?

Developments from YahooGroups may fill this need:

http://www.ygroupsblog.com/blog/

100GB of photo storage for each group is effectively unlimited.

Martin.

posted: 7 Oct 2008 06:05

Stumpytrain

Totnes - United Kingdom

Brian Lewis wrote:

After you and Jim have built Clifton Down, as a Bristol resident I'd be more than happy to operate it for you! :D

In the meantime as a Bristol Panel signalmen I can plod along operating the the real Clifton Down. Though unfortunately as you know it's a shadow of its former self...

Alex

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020