author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Nov 2008 21:47

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello all

This is the latest instalment in my Swiss layout saga. The SBB love their scissors crossovers with double slips at each corner so naturally I had to build one in Templot! This took me about four hours on Saturday. I'm amazed how easy this programme actually is to use once you get to grips with the basics. I can't believe it took me four years to finally get round to learning this stuff properly!

One thing you need to do when viewing the attached .box file is go to Pad>Hide name labels as there are a large number of them cluttering up the drawing. I always hide these as I don't use them myself.

Alan McMillan

swissrail1.pngswissrail1.png
Attachment: attach_413_630_P87_4-Slip_Scissors_4.5m_Centres.box 370

posted: 16 Nov 2008 22:31

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Now put the whole lot on a curve :D

posted: 16 Nov 2008 23:00

Alan McMillan

Paul Boyd wrote:
If you were to create plain double track on a curve and the insert the turnouts you want to be the basis of the scissors into that plain track, I don't think it would be any more difficult than the straight one was! :cool: I must try it sometime. I love curved formations and Templot gives you the delicious ability to use transitions and slews all over the place. I've attached my unfinished layout plan to give you some idea of what I mean. It's based on Montreux as it was before it was rebuilt in 1996 but I'm adding to it as the basis of my dream layout which I hope to start in the next couple of years.

Alan
Attachment: attach_415_630_Old_Montreux_Working_Copy.box 449

posted: 16 Nov 2008 23:41

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Wow - that is impressive!  I'm a sucker for multi-gauge layouts, and I must admit that I'm starting to find European layouts more and more attractive.  I just wish I had the space for something like that.

posted: 17 Nov 2008 00:40

davelong

Truly stunning track plan. That scissors and 4 double slips is probably a life long project in itself! Good luck.

I've never seen a box file over 2mb in size before. That little lot will put Jim SWs New street in the shade even if you only ever build the track.

Kind regards

Dave

posted: 17 Nov 2008 02:02

Alan McMillan

davelong wrote:
Truly stunning track plan. That scissors and 4 double slips is probably a life long project in itself! Good luck.

I've never seen a box file over 2mb in size before. That little lot will put Jim SWs New street in the shade even if you only ever build the track.

Kind regards

Dave
Trust me Dave - this WILL be built and at the moment the plan is only around half its finished length. I will post it again when it's done!

Alan

posted: 17 Nov 2008 03:38

Templot User

Posted By Email

----- from Alan Hall -----

Paul Boyd wrote:
And then add mixed gauge...:D

alan@york

posted: 18 Nov 2008 01:18

Alan McMillan

Paul Boyd wrote:
Wow - that is impressive! I'm a sucker for multi-gauge layouts, and I must admit that I'm starting to find European layouts more and more attractive. I just wish I had the space for something like that.
Hi Paul

Thanks for that! I have to say I was a modeller of British Railways until about ten years ago at which point a holiday to Switzerland showed me the finest railway system I've ever seen. The Swiss do their railways properly!

Aside from that the quality of European rolling stock is far, far higher than even the best of today's British outline models and I couldn't resist it - I was hooked and a buying spree ensued! I used to scratchbuild British carriages to museum standard but I can tell you the ready to run stuff I have for this Swiss layout (and I have a great deal of it), particularly the Roco models, could not be improved upon and scratchbuilt models would show up in a poor light by comparison. You just can't duplicate their flush glazing and exquisite lettering! I think you have to do it in P87 because this type of complicated trackwork just won't work in standard HO - aside from which - it looks fantastic!

Alan

posted: 18 Nov 2008 01:53

Nigel Brown

Hi Alan

Just of a matter of interest, do you plan to use ready-to-run stock on your P87 track, or is there an extensive rebuilding programme in store? I would have assumed the latter, but am interested to know.

cheers
Nigel

posted: 18 Nov 2008 17:54

Alan McMillan

Hi Nigel

Yes I will be rewheeling all my ready to run stock. All the bogie rolling stock comes as standard with end-to-end three point compensation but not the locomotives. I have decided to use the European P87 wheel standard (known as HoT or HOpur) which specifies a 0.5mm flange depth as opposed to the US version which has 0.32mm flanges. The slightly deeper flanges will make it easier to use non compensated chassis on locos as I am in no way going to intefere with the wonderful mecanisms these models are supplied with.

Alan

posted: 27 Nov 2008 20:04

JimH

Telford - United Kingdom

Seriously impressive stuff that - I must dedicate myself to learning the more powerful functions within Templot than the basics I've learnt so far!

Certainly looks like you'll be busy trackmaking, when do you plan on starting?

Jim

posted: 27 Nov 2008 21:27

Alan McMillan

Hi Jim
Unfortunately the physical stuff is a couple of years away at least. We've yet to build the house in which this lot will be constructed! However Templot is great fun for creating pictures in your head of how it will all look in the end.

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Complicated formation
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020