author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Dec 2008 23:53

John Preston

Lethbridge - Canada

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello to all

Here is a print screen of my first attempt at a double outside slip. The timber shoving is not the best, so there is some more work to be done.

The Templot .box file is attached to the nest message.  Any comments and/or feedback is welcome.

Regards  John P.
Attachment: attach_438_660_OSSLIP.jpg 1263

posted: 14 Dec 2008 23:54

John Preston

Lethbridge - Canada

and here is the box file as promised.
Attachment: attach_439_660_outside_slip_final.box 507

posted: 15 Dec 2008 22:04

donald peters

United Kingdom

Made me smile :)

posted: 10 Jan 2009 07:01

jadafmak

Perth - Australia

I think that is very well done.

You have given me incentive to do more.

Thank you very much.

posted: 17 Dec 2009 22:04

awhite

I would love to build a double outside slip like that but in f/s 0 Gauge (32mm). Is there any way of converting your drawing from P4 to 0G in one easy action?
Or has anyone got a box drawing of one already done in F0G? I've done searches and a trawl through this site and the internet, but nothing came to light.
Tony

posted: 17 Dec 2009 23:50

Chris Mitton

awhite wrote:
I would love to build a double outside slip like that but in f/s 0 Gauge (32mm). Is there any way of converting your drawing from P4 to 0G in one easy action?
Or has anyone got a box drawing of one already done in F0G? I've done searches and a trawl through this site and the internet, but nothing came to light.
If you want to use this as a manufacturing template, then presumably a "quick and dirty" way would be to export it to a PDF using a virtual printer such as Win2PDF, then print it out with a scaling factor of 18.83 : 32.0 = 169.94%.....any slight inaccuracies should be taken care of by the construction gauges.
Or am I missing something?  (incidentally the drawing seems to be missing a couple of closure rails!)

HTH
Chris

posted: 18 Dec 2009 00:12

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Chris Mitton wrote:
then print it out with a scaling factor of 18.83 : 32.0 = 169.94%.....any slight inaccuracies should be taken care of by the construction gauges.
Or am I missing something?
Hi Chris,

What you're missing is that you can set 169.94% output scaling directly in Templot :) -- you don't need to create a PDF -- print > enlarge/reduce size > set any %... menu item.

But the proper way is to go to the gauge/scale list (template > gauge and scale > other gauges...), select 0 gauge in the list, and click the convert group button at the top of the dialog.

This will work perfectly for P4 > S7, but may need some slight adjustments for other 0 gauge standards.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Dec 2009 00:25

John Preston

Lethbridge - Canada

Chris Mitton wrote:
awhite wrote:
If you want to use this as a manufacturing template, then presumably a "quick and dirty" way would be to export it to a PDF using a virtual printer such as Win2PDF, then print it out with a scaling factor of 18.83 : 32.0 = 169.94%.....any slight inaccuracies should be taken care of by the construction gauges.
Or am I missing something?  (incidentally the drawing seems to be missing a couple of closure rails!)

I think you will find the "missing" closure rails are there in the 'box file.  If not, then here is the box file.

John P
Attachment: attach_706_660_outside_slip_final.box 350

posted: 18 Dec 2009 12:10

awhite

Well I never knew you could convert as easily as that! For anyone else interested I've converted it to 7mm F/S 0 - 32mm gauge.
Problem is that it might be a problem building it from that as when printed out full, size some of the Vs and Ks don't quite line up and some of the rails don't join where they should or have steps, and some pieces of rail get in the way!
Anyone clever at tidying it up and would like to have a go, I attach the converted file.
Regards
Tony
Attachment: attach_707_660_7mm_outside_slip.box 348

posted: 18 Dec 2009 18:20

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

Hi Tony

This looks a bit better.

regards

Alan McMillan
Attachment: attach_708_660_outside_slip.box 324

posted: 18 Dec 2009 19:58

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

If anyone is interested there is an outside double slip in the Heathrow Express Tunnel.

See:

http://www.ice.org.uk/education/homepage/civil_engineers_do.asp

Alan
Last edited on 20 Dec 2009 20:57 by Alan Turner
posted: 18 Dec 2009 22:26

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

If anyone is interested there is an outside double slip in the Channel Tunnel.

See:

http://www.ice.org.uk/education/homepage/civil_engineers_do.asp

I do not think this example is in the Channel Tunnel.

John

posted: 18 Dec 2009 22:58

awhite

Alan McMillan wrote:
Hi Tony
This looks a bit better.
regards
Alan McMillan
Thanks Alan. You most certainly have improved it. I'll print it full size tomorrow and see if it is possible I could build it from your new drawing.
Regards
tony

posted: 19 Dec 2009 14:56

awhite

Thanks Alan
Makes a perfect template. I will probably build it for fun only as I'm having difficulty finding room for it as it takes up more space than anticipated over an inside double slip.
Regards
Tony

posted: 20 Dec 2009 18:22

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Me neither John, although it does look similar to the Sonneville/Sarr-Cummiwerk track system employed by TML. (But there again, all these systems tend to look alike).

I was retained by TML for four years and  am sure both the English and the French Crossover were of the traditional 'four turnouts and a diamond' type. But it was a long time ago and was 'just another job'. So it would not necessarily stick in my memory.

Regards

Brian Lewis

John Lewis wrote:
If anyone is interested there is an outside double slip in the Channel Tunnel.

See: http://www.ice.org.uk/education/homepage/civil_engineers_do.asp

I do not think this example is in the Channel Tunnel.

John

posted: 20 Dec 2009 18:36

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

I doubt that thia is the Channel Tunnel as well. I can't see that there would be any need for a train to leave the main line and then rejoin it a few hundred feet further on by using the slip roads of that crossing.

Alan McMillan

posted: 25 Feb 2010 21:58

Jamie92208

Alan McMillan wrote:
I doubt that thia is the Channel Tunnel as well. I can't see that there would be any need for a train to leave the main line and then rejoin it a few hundred feet further on by using the slip roads of that crossing.

Alan McMillan

That is definitely in the Heathrow express tunnels somewhere near the original terminus.  I remember seeing that picture when they opened it and someone actually explained why they needed to use that particular track layout at that point in the tunnels.

Jamie Guest

posted: 25 Feb 2010 22:39

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Jamie wrote:
That is definitely in the Heathrow express tunnels somewhere near the original terminus. I remember seeing that picture when they opened it and someone actually explained why they needed to use that particular track layout at that point in the tunnels.

That makes sense. Presumably this is/was needed to give access to/from both platforms of the terminus fro,/to both up and down tracks. Its disadvantage is that you cannot have a train arriving on the left h=and route at the same time as one departs on the right hand route.

John

posted: 6 Mar 2010 21:46

Jamie92208

John Lewis wrote:
Jamie wrote:
That is definitely in the Heathrow express tunnels somewhere near the original terminus. I remember seeing that picture when they opened it and someone actually explained why they needed to use that particular track layout at that point in the tunnels.

That makes sense. Presumably this is/was needed to give access to/from both platforms of the terminus fro,/to both up and down tracks. Its disadvantage is that you cannot have a train arriving on the left h=and route at the same time as one departs on the right hand route.

John

I think it also saved on tunnelling costs by keeping the diameter of the crossover tunnel smaller than using a full scissors.  From memory they ahd trouble with these tunnels as they used the New Austrian Method and had some subsisdence problems.

Jamie

posted: 7 Mar 2010 14:43

Dellboy

Aylesford - United Kingdom

Jamie92208 wrote:

I think it also saved on tunnelling costs by keeping the diameter of the crossover tunnel smaller than using a full scissors.  From memory they ahd trouble with these tunnels as they used the New Austrian Method and had some subsisdence problems.

Jamie

The New Austrian Tunneling Method (NATM) proved very successful in the London clays when the Jubilee Line Extension was built circa 1995. It was about the same time they had the tunnel collapse at Heathrow but I believe the problem there stemmed from ineffective monitoring during the excavation i.e. too much monitoring data to meaningfully digest.

The advantage of NATM is it is more cost effective than using tunnel boring machines (TBM) in as much you make the tunnel the size you want rather than be dictated by the diameter of a TBM. This doesn't answer the question as to why they didn't use a ful scissors tho'.

Derek

posted: 7 Mar 2010 16:22

Jamie92208

Dellboy wrote:

Jamie92208 wrote:

Jamie

The New Austrian Tunneling Method (NATM) proved very successful in the London clays when the Jubilee Line Extension was built circa 1995. It was about the same time they had the tunnel collapse at Heathrow but I believe the problem there stemmed from ineffective monitoring during the excavation i.e. too much monitoring data to meaningfully digest.

The advantage of NATM is it is more cost effective than using tunnel boring machines (TBM) in as much you make the tunnel the size you want rather than be dictated by the diameter of a TBM. This doesn't answer the question as to why they didn't use a ful scissors tho'.

Derek
That's useful.   I do remember seeing the explanation about the trackwork somewhere either in railway gazette or possibly Modern railways and there was a logical explanation but too many other senior moments have come and gone since then.

Jamie

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Double outside slip
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020