author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Jan 2009 20:38

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi

I thought you might like to see the progress on my Swiss layout plan, based (very) loosely on Montreux before its rebuilding in 1996, but greatly added to by me and now renamed Anderbad.

Alan McMillan

posted: 16 Jan 2009 21:21

Alan McMillan

I've reposted my layout plan as a zip file to reduce its size

Alan McMillan
Attachment: attach_456_697_Anderbad.zip 409

posted: 16 Jan 2009 21:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Alan,

Wow! 533 templates! That's an epic production by any reckoning. It's looking great. :thumb:

Best wishes for the building of it, and please post progress reports for us.

So that's two 40ft layouts posted here on one day. Something in the air? :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Jan 2009 21:51

Alan McMillan

Thanks Martin! I have to say I'm particularly pleased with the various irregular diamonds in there!

posted: 16 Jan 2009 22:00

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Swissrail wrote:
Hi

I thought you might like to see the progress on my Swiss layout plan, based (very) loosely on Montreux before its rebuilding in 1996, but greatly added to by me and now renamed Anderbad.

Alan McMillan
Alan,

You'll be the world expert on double slip making at the end of building that one. :):)

And I see you've got a bit of narrow gauge track thrown in for good luck. :)

I note that it is to P87.  Whose track will you be using?

Jim.

posted: 16 Jan 2009 23:04

Alan McMillan

Hi Jim

I'll be using Tillig Elite track for the plain stuff and ply and rivet for everything else. It's going to take a while!

Regards

Alan

posted: 17 Jan 2009 08:26

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Most impressive Alan, it must be taking almost as long to draw this lot as it will take you to build it!
How do you cope with all the 'no name' titles?

Regards

Raymond

posted: 17 Jan 2009 11:04

Alan McMillan

Raymond wrote:
Most impressive Alan, it must be taking almost as long to draw this lot as it will take you to build it!
How do you cope with all the 'no name' titles?

Regards

Raymond

Hi Raymond

Thank you for your kind comments! I've been working on this plan now for two or three months and I have to say it is a huge amount of fun using Templot. It took me a while to get to grips with it but then something clicked and what you see now is the result! I'm addicted to playing with it - my partner would tell you how difficult it is now for her to get near the computer!

Anyway, to answer your question... I found very early on that with the huge number of partial templates I used on this plan for irregular diamonds, scissors crossovers and curved slips, aside from not being abIe to come up with sufficient usefully identifiable or meaningful names, there were just too many of them and they got in the way, so I hide them at the start of each session. (Just look at my plan when it's first loaded and you'll see the dense concentration of them over each of the complex formations on the plan) So what I do is simply highlight the template I want on the background, or one close to it if it's buried among lots of others. I then open the storage box which is now showing that template and then I use the back/forward arrows to get to the one I want so I can use the storage box's "wipe to the control" button. If I want to duplicate that template for any reason, I the use the "re-store and background" button on the main menu which creates an unused copy of the template (in blue) at the end of the template list in the storage box.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan

posted: 17 Jan 2009 11:50

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Swissrail wrote:
So what I do is simply highlight the template I want on the background, or one close to it if it's buried among lots of others. I then open the storage box which is now showing that template and then I use the back/forward arrows to get to the one I want so I can use the storage box's "wipe to the control" button.
Hi Alan,

Even with the name labels switched off (END key), if you hold down the SHIFT key and run the mouse pointer over the templates, the name labels will reappear under the mouse and the templates will be highlighted. You can then click the name label to get the template's menu.

You can also click bat name label on that menu to move a label out of the way, if it is obscuring a label below.

With such a large number of templates you may find that normal panning is slow. A handy trick is to use the CTRL+LEFT-CLICK function to re-centre the pad on the mouse pointer. If you put the mouse pointer near an edge or corner of the screen, and then do CTRL + left click repeatedly, you can "walk" the pad in that direction more quickly than using the panning controls.

I'm glad you are enjoying using Templot. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Jan 2009 14:03

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

That really is something spectacular.  Right now, I'm struggling with irregular diamonds so I was particularly interested to see how you've done it.  Basically, a darn sight more partial templates than I had patience to play with!

You've now inspired me to do it properly :)

posted: 17 Jan 2009 20:44

Alan McMillan

Thanks for your pointers Martin, I didn't know about those little wrinkles! And yes Templot is enormous fun - thank you for writing such a great piece of software! I know a lot of requests have been made for refinements that create things like irregular diamonds with a single click, but for my money, the fun's in doing it from scratch!
As an aside, I'm off to Italy now for a week's ski-ing, so my apologies if people don't get any replies from me.

Regards
Alan

posted: 17 Jan 2009 20:46

Alan McMillan

Paul Boyd wrote:
That really is something spectacular.  Right now, I'm struggling with irregular diamonds so I was particularly interested to see how you've done it.  Basically, a darn sight more partial templates than I had patience to play with!

You've now inspired me to do it properly :)

I'm glad to have unwittingly helped Paul. It is a huge amount of fun creating all these odd formations from first principles!

Regards

Alan

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020