topic: 706Partial templates
author remove search highlighting

posted: 20 Jan 2009 21:57

George Ray

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
After using this magnificent programme to produce the templates for my model of Horsted Keynes pre1913 I have been asked to produce some templates for the Andover Model Engineering Society of which I am a member. I am trying to develope a dual gauge turnout for the 5" and 7 1/4" gauge ground level track. I have succeding in producing many of the partial templates after viewing the dual gauge example but I am having trouble in discovering how to produce the short templates at the crossings. For example how is the template labelled BG outer - c which appears to contain a wing rail produced. I have tried to find the instructions but the size of the forum is getting so large I am not sure where to look to find what I need. One slight puzzle is that there is a template in the storage box for the curved crossover that says it is for templot 078e and later but doesn't actually appear to be used is this part of the solution to my problem.

Any help gratefully received.

George Ray:?

posted: 21 Jan 2009 01:02

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi George,

Partial templates are created by making multiple copies of the same template, each with various features turned on or off. Individual rails are turned on and off at do > omit rails and joint marks... menu item.

The near end of a rail is set using blanking, most usually by means of the CTRL-F3 mouse action.

The far end of a rail is set by means of the overall length, most usually by means of the F4 mouse action.

Using these controls you can build up complex formations from elements of rail in any combination. Here I have made a gap in one of the rails in this turnout. (The usual reason to do that would be so that a crossing can be inserted on yet another partial template.) This is a total of 3 partial templates:

partial_gap.pngpartial_gap.png

I have made a bit of video showing the above being created:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=WD6BqPFKL0h2J85x0pKtPQ2

Normally you would work over the background template. In the video I temporarily parked it out of the way, so that the rail adjustments would be clearer.

Ask again if it's not clear. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Jan 2009 13:30

George Ray

United Kingdom

Martin

Thank you so much it's now so obvious what to do. Why didn't I think that was how it's done, probably because for my previous exercise I hadn't actually bothered to use partial templates when I drew up my tandem by laying two templates on top of each other and then drawing the check & wing rails in by hand . It's such an elegant solution like most of the things in Templot.

By the way is there any problem in using Templot for a construction template for the Society, we need to build ourselves two turnouts for our new track?

George Ray

posted: 21 Jan 2009 13:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

George Ray wrote:
By the way is there any problem in using Templot for a construction template for the Society, we need to build ourselves two turnouts for our new track?

Edit for Templot2 -- the below no longer applies. The terms of use for Templot2 are at:

http://templot.com/companion/terms_of_use.php

Hi George,

The standard Templot licence is for personal use only. If the members of the Society are your known personal friends, there is no problem.

"Known personal friends" are those who ring you at 1am to ask how to stick plastikard to glass, and to whom you would lend your favourite railway book. :)

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Partial templates
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020