topic: 721Facing Point Locks and Fouling Bars
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Feb 2009 15:52

philchudley

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All

All the literature I have mentions the use of a fouling bar in conjugtion with facing point locks. These are quoted as typically being 50' in length.

Despite numerous searches in my books, magazines, Internet, I have yet to find many photos of such fouling bars, and the ones I have found seem to be far short of 50'. This would apply to photos of mainline and branch lines.

Would I be correct in assuming that fouling bars were largely superceeded by track circuits? This would seem to be reasonable for mainlines, but what about rural backwaters and branch lines?

The period I am modelling (SR ex LSWR 1930's) branch line (similar in status to Swanage)

So, if fouling bars were superceeded by track circuits, when did this occur, and by the mid thirties would most have gone?

I would most appreciate your thoughts and expertise.

Cheers

Phil

posted: 4 Feb 2009 16:26

micknich

United Kingdom

If you contact me direct I will look through my old catolouges and text books. A 35ft lock bar seems more likerly than 50ft. If you have them some years ago Steve Hall wrote a good serious in "Model Railway Journal" from memory at least one lock bar shown in detal. Lock bars begain to be replaced by track circuits many years ago usualy on the more important lines first. Many a Branch still had Lock Bars when closed mid '60's. I don't think there are now any Lock Bars left on Network Rail. Mick Nicholson.

posted: 4 Feb 2009 16:49

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

philchudley wrote:
Despite numerous searches in my books, magazines, Internet, I have yet to find many photos of such fouling bars, and the ones I have found seem to be far short of 50'. This would apply to photos of mainline and branch lines.

Would I be correct in assuming that fouling bars were largely superceeded by track circuits? This would seem to be reasonable for mainlines, but what about rural backwaters and branch lines?

The period I am modelling (SR ex LSWR 1930's) branch line (similar in status to Swanage)

Fouling bars need to be longer than the distance between the inner wheels on the longest coach likely to use the line. With Maunsell coaches this inner wheelbase was 32 ft. In the case of Bulleid stock this was 38ft 6in, I believe, so I suspect fouling bars would be something like 40ft long. Was there a programme to fit longer bars with Bulleid's coaches (or BR Mk1?).  If your line has GWR 70ft coaches (eg Weymouth) then they would have to be over 47ft.

John

posted: 4 Feb 2009 17:28

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

philchudley wrote:
Hi All

I would most appreciate your thoughts and expertise.

Cheers

Phil

A timely and useful thread. Although I model the 1980's I'd wondered why I'd not seen any fouling bars. One thing less to model for me :D

posted: 5 Feb 2009 09:22

Howard

United Kingdom

Mick Nicholson wrote:
If you have them some years ago Steve Hall wrote a good serious in "Model Railway Journal"
Issues 113 & 115.

Howard.

posted: 5 Feb 2009 15:51

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Mick Nicholson has kindly sent these two scans from the Saxby catalogue:

saxby_fpl_1.pngsaxby_fpl_1.png

saxby_fpl_2.pngsaxby_fpl_2.png

Thanks Mick.

Martin.

posted: 5 Feb 2009 16:49

richard_t

Howard wrote:
Mick Nicholson wrote:
If you have them some years ago Steve Hall wrote a good serious in "Model Railway Journal"
Issues 113 & 115.

Howard.

I've just scanned the article from issue 113, which is prototype information (where-as the article in 115 is 4mm implementation.). Mainly for my own use so I don't need to dig through my MRJ's to find it. It's a 12 page PDF (28MB), if anyone else wants a copy.

posted: 5 Feb 2009 18:07

JFS

United Kingdom

Re your comment about Track Circuits replacing fouling bars, I certainly know that at Midhurst (if that is rural enough) they did indeed replace a fouling bar with a short T/C when they rationalised to the single 'box. There were also numerous examples on main lines which were not otherwise track circuited at all (ie where Syke's Lock and Block was in use)

I don't know about Swanage - but if you can get hold of / sight of the relevent copy of George Pryor's book of box diagrams, (now out of print, but try Amazon just in case) therein will surely be the answer.

Regards,

Howard

posted: posted: 5 Feb 2009 19:32

R A Watson

I have just had a quick look at the FASTLINE Videos Switch and Crossing Video Disc 2, and it has, in the maintenance of S & C section a BR training film which gives a "tutorial" on the construction and operation of F P L bars and associated equipment which will help your research.

Whilst I must expres the usual "only an appreciative customer" comment I feel this series is a must have item for any user of this forum.

Wally

5 Feb 2009 19:32

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

JFS wrote:
(snipped)
I don't know about Swanage - but if you can get hold of / sight of the relevent copy of George Pryor's book of box diagrams, (now out of print, but try Amazon just in case) therein will surely be the answer.
Regards,
Howard

Hello,

"S.B. Diagrams of the Great Western & Southern Railways by G.A. Pryer, Volume Two. S.R. lines in East Dorset" page 50 gives:

Swanage (1899) - shows "MFB 5" (Mechanical Fouling Bar) in main line adjacent to turntable, away from pointwork.

Swanage (1936) - shows post 30-06-1934 alterations which allowed trains to arrive at both platforms. TCs "A" over double slip, "B" over No.2 Platform entry points, "C" thence to outer crossover inclusive, "D" over main line straight road of outer crossover.  

Of the other diagrams in the same book, e.g. Verwood (1932) had one TC at the GF-worked south end.

Two MFBs  (14 & 15) at Hamworthy Jct (1898) , in advance of the "to Broadstone" junction points. Layout changed 1947, with TCs

As all these MFBs have lever numbers and are depicted away from pointwork, they are perhaps a 'different animal'? Maybe MFBs located in pointwork are not shown on some SB diagrams, (eg Pryer's SRS ones) unlike TCs?

Regards, Rodney Hills

posted: 5 Feb 2009 20:46

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

richard_t wrote:
I've just scanned the article from issue 113, which is prototype information (where-as the article in 115 is 4mm implementation.). Mainly for my own use so I don't need to dig through my MRJ's to find it. It's a 12 page PDF (28MB), if anyone else wants a copy.

Err............. Have you received permission from the author - and the publisher? If not, what you are suggesting seems to be a violation of their respective IP rights.....

Regards

Brian Lewis

posted: 5 Feb 2009 21:35

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

rodney_hills wrote:
As all these MFBs have lever numbers and are depicted away from pointwork, they are perhaps a 'different animal'? Maybe MFBs located in pointwork are not shown on some SB diagrams, (eg Pryer's SRS ones) unlike TCs?

What would be the function of a lever attached to a fouling bar? Surely the fouling bars attached to switches were not connected directly to the signal box themselves?

John

posted: 5 Feb 2009 21:57

micknich

United Kingdom

A Fouling Bar and a Lock Bar are used for different purposes, though mechanically almost identical. A Lock Bar as shown in the drawing I posted ex S&F cat works in conjunction with the Facing Point Lock, bolt or plunger name depends on local terminology. It's purpose being to prevent the signalman withdrawing the lock and attempting to move the points with a train passing over them. The lockbar and bolt are worked by the same lever (Blue).
A fouling bar and as the name suggests is laid down within the Fouling Point of converging lines and is again lever worked. The signalman being able to work the lever proves any engine or vehicles are clear of the "Fouling Point" and would not conflict/collide with traffic on an adjacent or converging line.
A fouling or lockbar raises during the stroke of the respective lever. Obviously with a train stood on it this is not possible and the relevant interlocking between levers can't be freed. Today all is achieved by means of track circuits. Mick Nicholson.

posted: 5 Feb 2009 22:11

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

John Lewis wrote:
rodney_hills wrote:
What would be the function of a lever attached to a fouling bar? Surely the fouling bars attached to switches were not connected directly to the signal box themselves?

John

John,

Hmm. Takes another look at Pryer Vol 2.........

Swanage (1899) MFB 5 (the only MFB depicted) is beyond the heel end of facing points 6, which latter has FPL 5.

but

Hamworthy Jct (1898) has MFB 14 and MFB 15 in main and branch respectively beyond heel of facing junction points 12, which have FPL 11. Lever numbers 14 & 15 appear nowhere else on the diagram, which has a note that all spare levers were used up Feb 1901. No other MFBs.

Regards, Rodney Hills

posted: 5 Feb 2009 23:00

allanferguson

Fife - United Kingdom

Locking  bars  were  part  of  the  Facing  Point  Lock  mechanism,  as  pointed  out  by  Mick  Nicholson.  Whenever  the  signalman  moved  the  FPL  lever  the  bar  went  up  and  down.  A  wheel  flange  would  prevent  this  and  therefore  the  movement  of  the  FPL.  In  conjunction  with  the  locking  this  ensured  the  points  could  not  be  moved  while  a  train  was  standing  on  top  of  them.  Therefore  there  would  be  a  lever  and  rodding  for  the  FPL,  and  another  lever  and  rodding  for  the  points.

The  gadgets  referred  to  as  MFB's  sound  to  me  more  like  treadles,  which  were  designed  to  be  depressed  by  wheels,  and  functioned  rather  like  short  track  circuits.  Glasgow  Central  had  lots  of  them,  in  locations  out  of  view  of  the  signalmen,  and  there  were  operating  instructions  to  ensure  they  were  used,  as  in  this  extract  from  the  Caledonian  Railway  Appendix  to  the  WTT  for  1915.

John
Attachment: attach_485_721_driver_on_fouling_bar.png 2525

posted: 6 Feb 2009 08:48

richard_t

Brian Lewis wrote:
richard_t wrote:

Err............. Have you received permission from the author - and the publisher? If not, what you are suggesting seems to be a violation of their respective IP rights.....

Regards

Brian Lewis

Ah ... good point ... no I haven't so I respectfully withdraw my offer. It's a good issue mind you, so well worth seeking out.

posted: 6 Feb 2009 12:26

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

richard_t wrote:
Ah ... good point ... no I haven't so I respectfully withdraw my offer. It's a good issue mind you, so well worth seeking out.
Well done Richard.

I do feel sensitive about this, having 'rescued' some of my lost wax casting, which were given to a caster to be used as masters in the making of a pirated range of components.

I hope you did not mind me mentioning this.

Regards

Brian Lewis

posted: 6 Feb 2009 12:34

Ian Everett

United Kingdom

Mick,

I seem to remember a "Greek meets Greek" accident, within your current territory, caused by the unfortunate combination of timing of the moving of a facing point and positioning of the very same bars - albeit before the replacement of the signal box concerned?

Ian Everett

Bottom Chapel
Askrigg
DL8 3HZ
tel 01969 650180

Luxury B&B in Herriot Country

posted: 6 Feb 2009 14:57

philchudley

Many thanks to all, especially to Mike, most useful and valuable info. Have ordered the relevant back copies of MRJ (before the post of the PDF!) so have many directions for further investigations.

Thanks again! Most appreciated

posted: 6 Feb 2009 16:56

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Ian Everett wrote:
I seem to remember a "Greek meets Greek" accident, within your current territory
Is that what the Amricans call a "cornfield meet"? Ie a head-on collision.

John

posted: 6 Feb 2009 19:33

micknich

United Kingdom

Ian was ref to a collision at Hull Paragon Feb 1927. By coincidence two ex NER 4-4-0's of the same class meet head on and were both written off. For some reason the book author captioned the picture "Greek meets Greek". Yes, our Yankie Cousins do ref to an head on smash as a "Cornfield Meet" but usually on a single line. Mick Nicholson.

posted: 6 Feb 2009 20:37

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

What happened at slip (compound - GWR) crossings? There would appear to be no room for a facing point locking bar because of the closeness of the slip switches and the common crossings and their associated check rails.

posted: 6 Feb 2009 20:44

micknich

United Kingdom

See pages from S&F cat above. Mick.

posted: 6 Feb 2009 21:45

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

I see what you mean - I had not taken that in.

Thank you

john

posted: 7 Feb 2009 12:04

micknich

United Kingdom

The attached may help to explain Mechanical Fouling Bars, examples shown are Down Slow No38, Down Fast No21, Up Fast No44 and Up Slow No31 and 50. I think they are self explanatory, but any queries please feel free to ask.

hessle_signalling.gifhessle_signalling.gif

Below is an "Economical Facing Point Lock". It's from a pre-war LNER text book. There is no "Lockbar" in this instance.

economical_fpl.pngeconomical_fpl.png

Mick.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Facing Point Locks and Fouling Bars
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020