topic: 722Peco 7mm Scale Turnouts.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Feb 2009 17:16

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Has anyone drawn up equivalents of the Peco Streamline 7mm scale turnouts in Templot?   I'm particularly interested in the standard turnout and the curved turnout.   I haven't got any of the pointwork to do my own measurements and reasonably accurate templates would be a great help in doing some planning.

Jim.

posted: 5 Feb 2009 11:40

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Has anyone drawn up equivalents of the Peco Streamline 7mm scale turnouts in Templot?   I'm particularly interested in the standard turnout and the curved turnout.   I haven't got any of the pointwork to do my own measurements and reasonably accurate templates would be a great help in doing some planning.

Jim.
That is something that I could also use.

Glen

posted: 5 Feb 2009 12:55

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Has anyone drawn up equivalents of the Peco Streamline 7mm scale turnouts in Templot? I'm particularly interested in the standard turnout and the curved turnout.
Hi Jim,

I've had one of the BH straight turnouts on my desk as a paperweight for years. :)

I will get a matching template done for you -- I seem to remember doing one years ago, but I can't now find the file. :(

For a commercial RTR offering it's really not bad at representing UK bullhead practice -- which rather rubs salt in the wounds of those stuck with their "00/H0" range.

The crossing angle is 8 degrees (1:7.1 RAM). There is a long entry-straight to the V-crossing -- the base moulding for the V-crossing is symmetrical (equalized timbering) so that the same base moulding can be used for both hands of turnout and for the diamond-crossing. In fact the left-hand turnout here has a right-hand V-crossing as regards the vee point rail.

I've always assumed that the Y turnout also used the same V-crossing base, but the radius figure quoted (see below) suggests that it is much shorter -- presumably 16 degrees. Anyone?

I'm puzzled by your reference to a curved turnout. I didn't know they made one, and it's not listed on the current Peco web site:
TURNOUTS & CROSSING, Code 124 Bullhead Nickel Silver Rail:

Catch turnout R/H
Catch turnout L/H
Y Medium radius (1828mm, 72") Turnout Electrofrog
Medium radius (1828mm, 72") Turnout R/H Electofrog
Medium radius (1828mm, 72'') Turnout L/H Electrofrog
Long Crossing (8° angle) Electrofrog
Double Slip (8° angle) Electrofrog

ELECTROFROG TURNOUTS, Code 143 Flat Bottom Nickel Silver Rail:
Medium radius (1828mm. 72") Turnout R/H
Medium radius (1828mm, 72") Turnout L/H
regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Feb 2009 13:24

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Jim Guthrie wrote:
Has anyone drawn up equivalents of the Peco Streamline 7mm scale turnouts in Templot? I'm particularly interested in the standard turnout and the curved turnout.
Hi Jim,

I will get a matching template done for you -- I seem to remember doing one years ago, but I can't now find the file. :(

For a commercial RTR offering it's really not bad at representing UK bullhead practice -- which rather rubs salt in the wounds of those stuck with their "00/H0" range.

The crossing angle is 8 degrees (1:7.1 RAM). There is a long entry-straight to the V-crossing -- the base moulding for the V-crossing is symmetrical (equalized timbering) so that the same base moulding can be used for both hands of turnout and for the diamond-crossing. In fact the left-hand turnout here has a right-hand V-crossing as regards the vee point rail.

I've always assumed that the Y turnout also used the same V-crossing base, but the radius figure quoted (see below) suggests that it is much shorter -- presumably 16 degrees. Anyone?

I'm puzzled by your reference to a curved turnout. I didn't know they made one, and it's not listed on the current Peco web site:
Martin,

I suspect that the earlier one you did was also for me. :)   I was helping design a layout for another Templot user and got a Templot equivalent for the standard turnout to assist in the design.  Unfortunately,  that template went to the great bit bucket in the sky when my Toshiba portable died a death last year.

Apologies for the confusion about the curved turnout.  I've just re-read the letter sent to me and it doesn't actually state that the curved turnouts are Peco - maybe from another maker,  or hand built.   I've got the two equivalent radii for the turnout - 72" and 108" - so I can concoct something in Templot which might be close to the product.

Jim.

posted: 5 Feb 2009 13:55

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

Martin Wynne wrote:

Hi Martin,

Almost a year ago Peco made a press release, reported in Railway Modeller, about their new production plans for the year. This included O scale curved turnouts. If it follows the example set by their double slip it will be at least another year before we see it!

I hope that they hurry up because my new train room is finished (well almost finished) and work is in progress on the fiddle yard, a 7' 6" three track turntable with three additional storage roads leading from one of the movable roads. This is all concealed track using code 148 FB rail. The sceniced part will be in code 124 BH and I will need several curved turnouts. Some will have to be hand laid but I am lazy and if the Peco curved turnouts will work and look good then I will use them.

Glen

posted: 27 Oct 2009 18:09

marsa69

Lincoln - United Kingdom

Hi all,

the PECO curved turnouts are indeed now fact. I was looking at getting one or two of these myself but if a Templot template was made available then I would build my own,

regards,

Mark

P.S. With regards to PECO templates, are they available and if so where can I find them? I have a number of their turnouts and a wye as well and don't want to waste them if possible. But it would make things easier if I could factor in their dimensions into my plan.
Last edited on 27 Oct 2009 18:17 by marsa69
posted: 15 Nov 2009 17:30

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Jim Guthrie wrote:
Has anyone drawn up equivalents of the Peco Streamline 7mm scale turnouts in Templot?   I'm particularly interested in the standard turnout  .......
First of all, an apology in advance, just in case anything/everything goes wrong with this posting, as it is my first attempt.

Like Jim, I'm also interested in templates for the Peco 0 gauge pointwork, to be incorporated into hidden/storage areas of a planned layout, and it would be useful to ensure that tracks will align correctly in a continuous circuit.  I had tried working out the geometry of the points but my understanding of Templot is not sufficiently advanced to be able to replicate all the idiosyncracies of the Peco point. 
But do I need to bother? Martin (I think) quoted the crossing angle as being 1:7.1.  Would it be sufficient just to create a B7.1 template? - the length and internal geometry would be different, but presumably the angle of the turnout road would be accurate and this might be adequate for ensuring alignment in a layout.  But being a Templot tyro I may well be missing something very obvious here.
Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Stuart

posted: 15 Nov 2009 17:55

Martin Wynne

OK, I'll take the hint. :)

I will post a template file matching the Peco 0 Gauge turnouts shortly. I wouldn't recommend the template for construction to that design because of the strange geometry -- this template will be for footprint substitution only.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 15 Nov 2009 20:29

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
OK, I'll take the hint. :)

I will post a template file matching the Peco 0 Gauge turnouts shortly. I wouldn't recommend the template for construction to that design because of the strange geometry -- this template will be for footprint substitution only.

regards,

Martin.
Thanks for responding so quickly.  I haven't come across the phrase "footprint substitution" before, but it sounds like exactly what I need to ensure correct alignment with the rest of a layout plan.
Look forward to seeing the template in due course.
Again, many thanks.

Stuart

posted: 16 Nov 2009 15:41

Martin Wynne

Here's a file containing templates matching the Peco 0 Gauge turnouts.

(Bullhead -- I don't have a flat-bottom turnout to measure, but I assume the geometry is the same.)

These turnouts have a long entry straight to the V-crossing, so that the same moulded base can be used for both LH and RH turnouts, and also for the diamond crossing. The V-crossing angle is 8 degrees* (1:7.12 RAM), and to get the best match to the rails I used a GWR 9ft curved switch. These templates are accurate for the rail alignments and can be used for Peco footprint substitution, but are not recommended for actual construction. The rail ends correspond to the crossover mid-point for 80mm track centres.

The timbering is very close, but not a perfect match. I added the silly bent timber which Peco put on the exit to their turnouts. :)

peco_0_gauge_turnouts.pngpeco_0_gauge_turnouts.png

File attached below.

*p.s. in Templot you can enter a V-crossing angle in degrees by prefixing it with the letter k. i.e. I entered k8 as the crossing angle here.

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_690_722_peco_0_turnouts.box 493

posted: 17 Nov 2009 12:31

Glen Suckling

Oswego - New York USA

Martin Wynne wrote:
*p.s. in Templot you can enter a V-crossing angle in degrees by prefixing it with the letter k. i.e. I entered k8 as the crossing angle here.

Martin,

Thanks for the tip - I never realized that a V-Crossing could be defined by the angle in degrees.

Thanks also for the PECO templates.

Glen

posted: 7 Jan 2010 09:10

mike_raybould

Mytchett, Surrey - United Kingdom

Further to the above has anyone drawn up templates for Streamline 'N' gauge points?

I've offered (or been offered) to help with the club's new 'N' Gauge layout and they don't fancy making their own track.

regards

Mike

posted: 5 Oct 2010 00:00

BeamEnds

Groan. Sorry to bump this topic up. After life's little roller-coaster ride into unemployment and full-time caring over the last couple of years I got to a point where I really do need to build a layout for the rolling stock I've made. Circumstances decree that Soddingham-under-Piddle is going to have to shrink somewhat into an 11' x 2 plank.

As I need to keep an eye on the pennies and actually have some time to make things, can I ask if, in addition to Martin's 7mm 'standard' Peco points, anyone has templates for the new curved points, the double slip and diamond. As long as they take up the same space, so to speak, that will do, I'm not looking to match the sleeper spacing and such, just have the rail ends in the right place and pointing the right way.

May I also ask if there is a purveyor of the above items in kit form with FB rail (not copper clad sleepers)?

And finally, if I do go s/h Peco route, is it possible to remove the 'bent' sleeper without risking the geometry going all wobbly.

I notice Peco have taken their product list off their web site, or at least I can't find it. Seems a bit bizzare when I might want to buy their products iff I can find the specifications so I can see what I can fit in. I can't justify buying their catalogue on the off-chance that the few pages of 7mm standard gauge may, or may not, be of use.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited on 5 Oct 2010 00:01 by BeamEnds
posted: 5 Oct 2010 09:21

Martin Wynne

BeamEnds wrote:
anyone has templates for the new curved points, the double slip and diamond. As long as they take up the same space, so to speak, that will do, I'm not looking to match the sleeper spacing and such, just have the rail ends in the right place and pointing the right way.
Hi Richard,

For the diamond, just start with the turnout and template > convert turnout to half-diamond, then on the shove timbers do restore all.

For the slip you can add slip roads in the usual way.

I have not seen the curved turnout, sorry. There are downloadable templates for 00/H0 and N on the new Peco web site, but not for 0 gauge.

I notice Peco have taken their product list off their web site, or at least I can't find it. Seems a bit bizzare when I might want to buy their products
There is a note on there that the full products details will be added in due course.

And finally, if I do go s/h Peco route, is it possible to remove the 'bent' sleeper without risking the geometry going all wobbly.
You could easily saw through the plastic webs and remove it without any problem.

The switch front is sleepered instead of timbered, which gives it a very pre-grouping look. You might want to change those too (2 sleepers).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Oct 2010 13:47

BeamEnds

Thanks Martin - I hadn't noticed the two sleepers, so they can go too!

Do you know if Peco have Templot? With there being no O gauge templates I'm tempted to suggest to them that producing Templot templates would kill two birds with one stone (subject to licencing I presume).

posted: 5 Oct 2010 14:01

Martin Wynne

BeamEnds wrote:
Do you know if Peco have Templot? With there being no O gauge templates I'm tempted to suggest to them that producing Templot templates would kill two birds with one stone (subject to licencing I presume).
Hi Richard,

No they don't have Templot.

It wouldn't get them very far with their current ranges -- it's hard work to match their non-prototypical geometry in Templot.

They shouldn't have any difficulty producing 0 gauge templates from their existing production drawings. They just need a nudge to get on with it. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Oct 2010 14:19

BeamEnds

Hi Martin,
ok - I'll give them a quick call/e-mail about templates and the product info - I've just remembered the 'Individulay' parts (well, found some bits in a box I'd forgotten about) - just need to find out what's available in FB! Home-brewed points may be an option again.....

Cheers
Richard

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Peco 7mm Scale Turnouts.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020