topic: 725Licence behaviour on virtual machines
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Feb 2009 00:28

John McAleely

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I'm interesting in using Templot to draw up my next layout. It will be my first venture into P4, and I fancy drawing up some flowing curves and then following the template as I lay them out.

I'm planning on using Templot on a virtual machine that's running on my Mac. From reports elsewhere on this forum it seems this will probably work well. Indeed, I have the software installed and telling me its internal code number.

I have two questions before I buy a licence:

- If I want to be more confident that the cad functions, etc work on my setup, is there a demo mode or trial that I have missed on this site?

- If I want to experiment with using different versions of windows (XP, Vista, maybe Windows 7) on my virtual machine (to settle on a good everyday performance), will I need a new licence key for Templot for each virtual machine?

posted: 8 Feb 2009 00:57

jadafmak

Perth - Australia

Hi John,

John McAleely wrote:
I'm interesting in using Templot to draw up my next layout. It will be my first venture into P4, and I fancy drawing up some flowing curves and then following the template as I lay them out.

I'm planning on using Templot on a virtual machine that's running on my Mac. From reports elsewhere on this forum it seems this will probably work well. Indeed, I have the software installed and telling me its internal code number.

- If I want to be more confident that the cad functions, etc work on my setup, is there a demo mode or trial that I have missed on this site?

- If I want to experiment with using different versions of windows (XP, Vista, maybe Windows 7) on my virtual machine (to settle on a good everyday performance), will I need a new licence key for Templot for each virtual machine?

I think if you go to ( http://www.templot.com/martweb/tutorials.htm ) it might help with the more info how Templot works. It sure helped me.

In regards to your second question, i am sorry i have no experience there

John

posted: 8 Feb 2009 01:01

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

John McAleely wrote:

Hi John,

Sorry, there isn't a demo mode or trial. But please note that Templot is not a CAD program.

If you are running MS Windows by any means, all the screen functions in Templot will work. The only likely area of problem is the keyboard shortcuts -- some combinations may not be available on a Mac. But all functions are accessible via the menus and buttons.  There are several Mac users here on Templot Club who can advise further.   

If you are running an alternative emulation such as Wine, I can't guarantee Templot will work but reports suggest it is fine -- see: http://www.templot.com/info/templot_on_linux.htm

If I want to experiment with using different versions of Windows (XP, Vista, maybe Windows 7) on my virtual machine (to settle on a good everyday performance), will I need a new licence key for Templot for each virtual machine?
Email me. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Feb 2009 17:41

John McAleely

United Kingdom

Thanks for the quick answer.

I've ordered a licence.

I would like to report that I disliked being obliged to use PayPal for electronic payment. Despite electing to pay by credit card (for all the good uk consumer protection law, and the financial benefit to me) they attempted to deduct the funds for this directly from my current account. This is probably better for them, and perhaps you, but is very against my interests. Yuk.

I do try to avoid purchasing through them whenever possible.

posted: 8 Feb 2009 18:06

Martin Wynne

John McAleely wrote:
I would like to report that I disliked being obliged to use PayPal
Hi John,

Thank you for your order. Your order confirmation and lock-release code have been sent.

You are not obliged to use PayPal. You can send me cheque if you prefer, and buying Templot is not compulsory.

Despite electing to pay by credit card (for all the good uk consumer protection law, and the financial benefit to me) they attempted to deduct the funds for this directly from my current account. This is probably better for them, and perhaps you, but is very against my interests. Yuk.

It makes no difference for me which card or account you use on PayPal. I do not understand how PayPal can attempt to deduct funds directly from your current account if you do not give them the account details.

If you are unhappy with the way your order has been handled, please in the first instance write to me directly rather than here on Templot Club. It's fortunate that I processed your order before seeing your message here. Had I seen this first I may well have declined to accept your order. 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Feb 2009 18:17

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

John McAleely wrote:
I would like to report that I disliked being obliged to use PayPal for electronic payment. Despite electing to pay by credit card (for all the good uk consumer protection law, and the financial benefit to me) they attempted to deduct the funds for this directly from my current account. This is probably better for them, and perhaps you, but is very against my interests. Yuk.

I do try to avoid purchasing through them whenever possible.
I can confirm that this had happened to me in the past with PayPal. In my case I could only use PayPal for a certain amount (around 200UKP, although I can't remember the exact amount) before I had to register a bank account to continue to use the service. When I ordered some camera parts from the states even though I'd selected to use a credit card to pay, to reduce their risk, they took the money from my account.

Unf they are "allowed" to do it under their T&C's - you'll find it in the 13 odd pages of them.

Thats why I don't use them any more either.

Richard.

posted: 8 Feb 2009 18:25

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi John

You said:
Despite electing to pay by credit card .... they attempted to deduct the funds for this directly from my current account.
Paypal won't do anything that you haven't authorised them to do.  You've presumably sorted this out now, but the only reason that Paypal will attempt to revert to your current account (after you've presumably used the 'More funding options' link to choose to use a card rather than default to your current account) is if there is a problem with your credit card such an expired expiry date.  Even then, this won't happen without your full knowledge.  They WILL NOT take any money from any account without you giving them the go-ahead.

In any event, regardless of UK Consumer Protection laws, your purchase through Paypal wil be protected by them regardless of how it is funded.  Whilst I won't pretend Paypal is perfect, it enables many small companies to accept electronic payment rather than using those... what are they called again?..  cheques - that's it :D

Cheers

posted: 8 Feb 2009 18:36

John McAleely

United Kingdom

Martin,

I hope we are not getting off on the wrong foot. I will conduct further correspondence via email if you prefer. I am replying here now, so that readers may benefit from the whole conversation, and be in no doubt that I find your service exemplary.

I am attempting only to provide feedback on PayPal. I perhaps should have elected to say nothing.

I am entirely satisfied with how my order has been handled by yourself. Indeed, it is your presence here and on RMWeb, and obvious passion for your product, that have impressed me to try Templot.

PayPal have my current account details because I occasionally trade on ebay, and am happy to accept funds via any method that customers there commonly use. I prefer, however, not to use PayPal for my own purchasing on the internet. Today's buying experience is an example of why.

Once I left your site, and was in PayPal's hands, I entered my credit card details. They offered to log me in to my account, and I (stupidly) accepted. Once logged in, they switched the payment method from the credit card I had just entered to a direct debit from my current account. Fortunately I spotted this in their fine print, and changing it back was a matter of visiting another web page on their site. Some may find my preference for using my credit card strange, but I place no value on PayPal's 'consumer guarantees' and prefer the guarantees offered by my credit card provider.

Burying changes in their fine print during the checkout fits with the pattern of my experience of PayPal, and I find it unpleasant. Hence I avoid them when possible. I provide this feedback here so that you have information about how PayPal behave when handling orders for Templot. I assume other customers may experience similar behaviour, and 'forewarned is forearmed'. I expect no action from you as a consequence.

As you observed, I had the option to pay by cheque, and I agree - I should have used it.

John

posted: 8 Feb 2009 18:43

Martin Wynne

Hi Richard,

From the PayPal web site:
Beginning 11 February 2009 PayPal User Agreement is being amended as follows:

1. Clauses 4.3(a) and 6.3(a) are being amended to remove the requirement that UK customers need to complete the Expanded Use Programme as part of the process to lift their receiving or withdrawal limits.

PayPal will be introducing an automated process to confirm location information to replace the requirement to complete the Expanded Use Programme.

If anyone is unwilling to use PayPal, I am happy to accept UK cheque payments as explained on the Templot web site.

However, the vast majority of users seem to be able to use PayPal without any problems, and that includes me. I have had a PayPal account for 8 years, use it often, and have never had any trouble at all.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Feb 2009 19:23

Martin Dobbins

Memphis - Tennessee USA

I've had a PayPal account for a while and didn't have any problems until I wanted to sell a few things on Ebay and give the people interested the chance to pay by PayPal if they wished. 

PayPal wanted a bank account number to remit the funds to,they got one-a "junk" bank account opened for the purpose that never has very much money in it. Since then any payment always defaults to "pay directly from the bank" and has to be manually changed to pay by credit card.  PayPal charges the vendor the same amount whether the customer pays by credit card or any other method, but they make more money if the customer pays directly from their bank account since they don't have to pay the credit card fee.

Caveat Emptor

Martin2 (or is it 3 now?) 

posted: 8 Feb 2009 19:59

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

As Martin D has correctly pointed out, if you are a seller on eBay, you need to have a bank account registered in order for Paypal to deduct selling fees and also which is linked for the remitting of ones incoming funds. This then becomes the default account for payments. It is an irritation to have to manually change the payment method before each transaction, but I do it out of spite for the very reason Martin cites!

posted: 8 Feb 2009 20:36

Martin Wynne

Dave Summers wrote:
This then becomes the default account for payments.
Hi Dave,

You can change it. Log in and then go to:

http://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_profile-merchant-pull-funding

and change it to your credit card or whatever.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Feb 2009 20:52

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

Sadly, for me at least, that hasn't worked. I had already done as you have suggested many months ago but the default payment for eBay purchases is firstly any credit in my Paypal account and secondly my registered bank account with my credit card listed as the payment method in case there are insufficient funds in my bank account. I have been unable to make a credit card the default payment for ALL transactions since I registered a bank account with Paypal.

posted: 8 Feb 2009 21:37

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
buying Templot is not compulsory.

Had I seen this first I may well have declined to accept your order.

Congratulations Martin, This is one of the most 'interesting' examples of facing the marketplace I have seen in quite a while......  You sure have a novel way of encouraging new business.

We all know that Templot is a most unfriendly piece of software - I begin to see why........

Regards

Brian Lewis

posted: 8 Feb 2009 21:44

Brian Tulley

United Kingdom

John McAleely wrote:
Some may find my preference for using my credit card strange, but I place no value on PayPal's 'consumer guarantees' and prefer the guarantees offered by my credit card provider.

Hi John/All,

Firstly, welcome to Templot!

Just thought it worth mentioning (particularly in the current climate) that the protection offered by Section 75 (which includes Credit Card purchases) only kicks in for purchases over £100 - see here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

I'll leave it at that, bearing in mind it's a Templot discussion forum!

Best Regards,

Brian Tulley

posted: 8 Feb 2009 21:55

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

John McAleely wrote: 
Despite electing to pay by credit card (for all the good uk consumer protection law, and the financial benefit to me)
But John, I am not totally sure you have the normal protection when doing business via Paypal. I seem to recall a couple of years ago, that the credit card companies refused to stump up on the basis that the transactions were with a third party and not the actual vendor.

Now I think we are having enough trouble with 'bricks and mortar' banks to even think about using virtual banks, so I do not use PayPal, NoChex, etc. But it would be interesting to know if the protection issue has been resolved.

And as for Paypal 'guaranteeing payments' - as per Paul Boyd's email, yes Paul, but who is underwriting Paypal?

Regards

Brian Lewis

posted: 8 Feb 2009 22:17

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

but who is underwriting Paypal
That is a question that has been asked on the eBay forums, and I've not yet seen an answer.

That's not really the point though in this context - after all, a credit card company can just as easily go under so you would lose any protection that way as well.  The point I was making was that if you use Paypal to make a purchase and for whatever reason the seller doesn't deliver, Paypal will refund the buyer.  This is over and above the statutory consumer laws, and applies to any amount  - if Brian Tulley is correct you wouldn't get credit card protection when buying Templot, but you would if you bought via Paypal.  Ironic, really :cool:

posted: 8 Feb 2009 22:29

Martin Wynne

Brian Lewis wrote:
Congratulations Martin, This is one of the most 'interesting' examples of facing the marketplace I have seen in quite a while......  You sure have a novel way of encouraging new business.
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what you mean by "facing the market place"?

I'm very happy to exchange a Templot licence for payment with everyone who approaches me in a friendly manner.

But I have several times declined to supply a Templot licence to those who start off stroppy -- on the reasonable assumption that they are likely to get worse. :D

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Feb 2009 22:59

its_all_downhill

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

.. and as the owner and developer, with many happy customers myself included, it is up to Martin to sell the product how he likes, surely?

I have moved my license a number of times and Martin has always been prompt and friendly in his dealings 'with myself' In fact I am considering buying another license for my home computer that is an Apple with Parallels on.

br
tom

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Licence behaviour on virtual machines
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020