Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 754Modellers block.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 6 Mar 2009 13:42

Alberta,

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am in need of some help guys im really struggling fullstop for something to build. I was going to do some kind of steam layout but decided to shelve the idea for now because i want my steam layout to be a large scale model & for now i cant gain access to the attic to start work on it.

Last weekend i cleared my model cupboard out & found a rather large amount of modern image locos & i do still enjoy the modern network when i go to photo steam so i thought why not build a reasonable portable layout modern image. I really used to enjoy visits to Birmingham when i was young with my dad because of all the urban sprawl & so many different locos & trains to see so i was thinking maybe a modern image layout based on a prototype in Birmingham. Space wise i have about 12ft x 2ft none inclusive of fiddle yards.

Can anyone help me with my quest to find something modelable & with the following things included ; I really would like to have some kind of industry on the layout for freight movements possibly a small cement works or oil terminal. A small station possibly a thru station with overheads. Also maybe a multi level layout spliting the freight from the passenger & have a upper& lower level. I really am stumped although i have a good imagination i really want it to work with prototypical practice from the track up with working signals pointwork etc etc.

I have googled with google earth to see if i could find a station but i still couldnt find anything can anyone help please even if it isnt Brum as such but a prototypical place i can model &base it on the midlands. The timescale for the layout is between the late 80,s early 90,s with sector locos & first gen Dmu,s & Emu,s & also between 2003 to present.

Thats a fair bit to digest i know & very specific but its the kind of thing i really would like to model.

Many thanks

Simon.

posted: 7 Mar 2009 10:02

Paul Willis

Alberta, wrote: 
I really used to enjoy visits to Birmingham when i was young with my dad because of all the urban sprawl & so many different locos & trains to see so i was thinking maybe a modern image layout based on a prototype in Birmingham. Space wise i have about 12ft x 2ft none inclusive of fiddle yards.

Can anyone help me with my quest to find something modelable & with the following things included ; I really would like to have some kind of industry on the layout for freight movements possibly a small cement works or oil terminal. A small station possibly a thru station with overheads.
Rowley Regis?

http://www.railaroundbirmingham.co.uk/Stations/rowley_regis.php

It was my local station when I was at school in the early '80s.  It had a small oil terminal behind the station, and a bay platform on the up side IIRC.

The location is suited to modelling as well, as the station is above the tracks on an overbridge and the line plunges immediately in to Old Hill tunnel, making a prototypical scenic break at that end.

There was no OLE, but the rolling stock was quite varied as there would be diversionary workings as well as the usual DMU and oil trains.

A quick Google means that I can't find any pictures of the oil terminal itself, but I'm sure that some more diligent research would turn some up.

HTH
Paul Willis

posted: 7 Mar 2009 12:13

davelong

Or you could have a look further up the line at Langley green too. Plenty of freight from petroluem to phosphric acids along the Oldbury branch, and traffic to Rood end goods sidings.

Kind regards

posted: 7 Mar 2009 12:27

Alberta,

Thank you for those gents i will have a look now it certainly has to be the midlands due to the variation of traffic & machinery used.

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Modellers block.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020