author remove search highlighting

posted: 2 May 2009 11:07

David Catton

Chesterfield - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi,

After much searching and pleading on various forums the kindness of someone on RMWeb resulted in the delivery of a copy of a copy of a Cowans Sheldon GA drawing of a 70ft turntable. This will allow a model to be built in due course for Bankhall. Then I noticed that it states on the drawing that the rail on the table is XXft/yard flat bottom rail. Unfortunately the figure for the weight of rail is on a fold in an earlier version of the drawing and cannot be deduced accurately from the print in my possession. Under magnification, it may be 30lbs/yard but more probably 80lbs/yard, although even this seems light. Does 80lbs/yard seem reasonable or does anyone have any better idea what it might actually be? And if so, what code of rail might be used to replicate it in 4mm=1ft scale or would it be a one-off section used on Cowans Sheldon turntables and not something that was ever used on running tracks?

I'm bemused . . . but confident someone will know the answer.

Cheers,

David C

posted: 2 May 2009 11:15

micknich

United Kingdom

David Catton wrote:
Hi,

After much searching and pleading on various forums the kindness of someone on RMWeb resulted in the delivery of a copy of a copy of a Cowans Sheldon GA drawing of a 70ft turntable. This will allow a model to be built in due course for Bankhall. Then I noticed that it states on the drawing that the rail on the table is XXft/yard flat bottom rail. Unfortunately the figure for the weight of rail is on a fold in an earlier version of the drawing and cannot be deduced accurately from the print in my possession. Under magnification, it may be 30lbs/yard but more probably 80lbs/yard, although even this seems light. Does 80lbs/yard seem reasonable or does anyone have any better idea what it might actually be? And if so, what code of rail might be used to replicate it in 4mm=1ft scale or would it be a one-off section used on Cowans Sheldon turntables and not something that was ever used on running tracks?

I'm bemused . . . but confident someone will know the answer.

Cheers,

David C

Looking at my copy of the drawing it's "80lb" rail. Elsewhere it say's  "To turnthrough 180o in 2 minutes (or similar), the figure "8" is exactly the same style. Best Wishes, Mick.

posted: 2 May 2009 11:18

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi David,

FB rail: | height: | head width: | foot width: | approx 4mm code:

BS-30R     3.1/8"     1.5/8"         3"           code 41

BS-80R     5.1/4"     2.1/2"         5"           code 69

BS-80A     5.1/4"     2.1/2"         4.5/8"       code 69

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 May 2009 12:20

Ian Everett

United Kingdom

Mick,

I'm wanting to build a smaller turntable - I have no need for Pacifics at Bradford North Western. Can you point me in the direction of a plan for a smaller one suitable for an LMS ex-LNWR location?

Ian

Ian Everett
Bottom Chapel

Askrigg
DL8 3HZ
tel 01969 650180

http://clecklewyke.wordpress.com

Luxury B&B in Herriot Country

posted: 2 May 2009 12:47

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Ian Everett wrote:
I'm wanting to build a smaller turntable - I have no need for Pacifics at Bradford North Western. Can you point me in the direction of a plan for a smaller one suitable for an LMS ex-LNWR location?
Hi Ian,

Have a look at: MetalSmith Ltd

Dave has been producing a range of 7mm turntables for many years and now is extending his range to 4mm.

Regards

Brian Lewis

posted: 2 May 2009 14:09

David Catton

Ian Everett wrote:
Hi Ian,

If all else fails, put an appeal on every email group you can think of and with any luck some kind soul will pop up with the information. As Mick Nick told me, it's out there somewhere, you just have to keep poking until someone delivers.

HTH,

DC

posted: 2 May 2009 14:13

Martin Wynne

David Catton wrote:
If all else fails, put an appeal on every email group you can think of and with any luck some kind soul will pop up with the information.
But remember to go back to every group and say when you have found the information you wanted. Otherwise you could have someone going to a lot of trouble to find it for you, not realising that the answer has already been posted on some other group.

Martin.

posted: 17 Aug 2010 20:24

nigel bown

London - United Kingdom

Dave do you still have the drawing of the 70 foot turntable ?
i will be needing one for grandborough but in 2 mmFS . hint hint
regards Nigel

posted: 18 Aug 2010 01:19

David Catton

Hi,

I attach copies of the drawings that I have. I confess these came to me from others so I presume they will be sympathetic to your request for the information they contain.

1570_171952_270000000.png1570_171952_270000000.png
Cowans, Sheldon 70ft turntable

(Click the image above to see it in the Image Gallery, then click and click again to see the original full-size image.)

ATB - and good luck with getting a model of the 70ft table for your layout.

David C

PS I have some scans of 65ft Cowans Sheldon TTs as well and if these are of interest to anyone else just ask.

(David also attached a Skinley drawing of a 70ft model turntable. Skinley drawings are available commercially from: The Sussex Modeller, 20a Rowe Avenue, Peacehaven, East Sussex , BN10 7PF, tel: 01273 581265. It has therefore been removed for copyright reasons. Martin.)

posted: 18 Aug 2010 09:34

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi David,

Hope this isn't "teaching grandmothers to suck eggs" :cool: The "code" of a rail is the height in "thou" - I prepared a table that was published in MRJ some time ago showing the code against the equivalent prototype lbs/yd figure - unfortunately I can't find the original of that, but I have a table showing the equivalent sizes in 4mm & 7mm for the various dimensions quoted in the BS spec. (just converted it to a word document as I find I can't attach an Excel spreadsheet!:?

best wishes

Richard Jones

1763_180527_180000000.png1763_180527_180000000.png

Attachment: attach_847_799_Rails.doc 400

posted: 18 Aug 2010 10:46

Martin Wynne

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for that. :thumb:

just converted it to a word document as I find I can't attach an Excel spreadsheet! :?
It's better not to attach files in DOC, XLS, and similar Windows "business" formats as many members will not be able to access them (me included  :( ).

PDF is a suitable alternative which most members will be able to read and print out if required.

However, I've converted your table to a format suitable for the Image Gallery and inserted it in your message that way.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Aug 2010 11:11

Les Golledge

Chippenham - United Kingdom

Richard_Jones wrote:
I prepared a table that was published in MRJ some time ago showing the code against the equivalent prototype lbs/yd figure - unfortunately I can't find the original of that
Hi Richard & David,

Just had a look in my MRJ index, the article is Rail Profiles for the modeller in MRJ No.122 Page255.

HTH.

Regards,

Les.

posted: 18 Aug 2010 13:51

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Fortunately I can access a full copy of Acrobat (as opposed to just a reader), so I'll convert anything else to pdf in the future:thumb:

best wishes

Richard

posted: 18 Aug 2010 13:56

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

PS,

Does anyone know what Singleton (West Sussex) turntable was like? I understand it was removed by the Southern in the 20's (re-used elsewhere?). I have seen photos of Chichester and Lewes tables where the whole deck was boarded over, so that the "well" is not visible. Presumably The Brighton had a standard design?

best wishes

Richard

posted: 18 Aug 2010 14:24

Roger Henry

Brisbane - Australia

Richard_Jones wrote:
PS,

Does anyone know what Singleton (West Sussex) turntable was like? I understand it was removed by the Southern in the 20's (re-used elsewhere?). I have seen photos of Chichester and Lewes tables where the whole deck was boarded over, so that the "well" is not visible. Presumably The Brighton had a standard design?

best wishes

Richard

Possibly it was made by Peco:-) A question regarding 'powered' TTs in th eUK. I have seen pictures of some TTs with large tanks under the bridges and have always assumed that they were filled with compressed air from the Westinghouse. Someone has suggested that it could also be a vacuum tank, as vacuum brakes are/were much more common. Another writer then chimed in avowing that the TTs were powered by a small donkey engine, drawing its steam from the steam lamce cock or similar. This I find a little dubious. Does anyone know?

Thanking you,

Roger

posted: 18 Aug 2010 18:26

John Shelley

St Ciers Sur Gironde 33820 - France

Roger Henry wrote:

Possibly it was made by Peco:-) A question regarding 'powered' TTs in th eUK. I have seen pictures of some TTs with large tanks under the bridges and have always assumed that they were filled with compressed air from the Westinghouse. Someone has suggested that it could also be a vacuum tank, as vacuum brakes are/were much more common. Another writer then chimed in avowing that the TTs were powered by a small donkey engine, drawing its steam from the steam lamce cock or similar. This I find a little dubious. Does anyone know?

Thanking you,

Roger

They would be vacuum powered, connect up the loco vacuum hose and off it spins.  Photos of locos connected up on such turntables exist, but as I'm not in my library at the moment I can't quote chapter and verse with examples.

Air braked locos and trains weren't that common in the UK in the days of steam.

Cheers for now

John, from 33820 St Ciers sur Gironde, France

posted: 18 Aug 2010 21:40

Richard_Jones

Heswall - United Kingdom

Hi John and Roger,
I fairly certain the Brighton turntables of that vintage would have been manual - they were on 45' and certainly on the Lewes one I can't see any sign of any hose connections - I try the Brighton Circle as well to see if that approach generates any answers.
best wishes
Richard

posted: 20 Aug 2010 12:37

David Catton

Thanks to Richard Jones for the table of rail codes.  If you look back at the thread you will see that Mick Nick had already advised by looking at his copy of the TT drawing that the rail was 80lbs per yard and therefore code 69 (or more realistically in terms of availability code 70) is what I will require.

Now to see if I can persuade one of the suppliers to let me have the 2 x 70ft (or 12 real inches) of code 70 rail that I will need when (one day!) MetalSmiths produce their promised kit for the 70ft Cowans Sheldon TT.

For anyone interested, PH Designs have kindly produced etchings for the Ransomes Bankhall breakdown crane so these esoteric bits and pieces for my layout are gradually coming to fruition.

Cheers,

David C

posted: 31 Aug 2010 17:46

Mike Waldron

Tewkesbury - United Kingdom

Richard: we have a constant problem with Brighton turntables -as there seem to be very few photos that show much and almost no plans.
However, if you check out the Brighton E-group there's talk of John Ritter having something approaching a plan that Barry (Pulborough) Luck and I are both interested in seeing - so hopefully we might get a glimpse if John can find a way to send it from Oz.
Also check out Metalsmith's website - http://www.metalsmith.co.uk/4mmscaleCowansSheldonPre-Groupingturntable.htm - they appear to be mainly pre 1922 Cowans Sheldons - but I don't know who made B'ton ones.

Mike W

posted: 5 Jun 2013 20:42

Harbottle

Pleasley - United Kingdom

Hi David and everyone else, new to these forums but finding them very interesting. Where can I get a clear copy of the turntable drawing?I want to model one for my 00 layout.Thanks Harbottle
David Catton wrote:
Hi,

I attach copies of the drawings that I have. I confess these came to me from others so I presume they will be sympathetic to your request for the information they contain.

1570_171952_270000000.png1570_171952_270000000.png
Cowans, Sheldon 70ft turntable

(Click the image above to see it in the Image Gallery, then click and click again to see the original full-size image.)

ATB - and good luck with getting a model of the 70ft table for your layout.

David C

PS I have some scans of 65ft Cowans Sheldon TTs as well and if these are of interest to anyone else just ask.

(David also attached a Skinley drawing of a 70ft model turntable. Skinley drawings are available commercially from: The Sussex Modeller, 20a Rowe Avenue, Peacehaven, East Sussex , BN10 7PF, tel: 01273 581265. It has therefore been removed for copyright reasons. Martin.)

posted: 5 Jun 2013 20:53

David Catton

If you cannot print out a copy of the drawing from the earlier posts to this thread, PM me and I'll scan my copy for you which may be clearer.

Sad to say Metalsmiths are still showing no signs of releasing the kit for this TT.

Hope springs eternal . . .

David C

posted: 5 Jun 2013 21:08

Martin Wynne

Harbottle wrote:
Where can I get a clear copy of the turntable drawing?I want to model one for my 00 layout.Thanks Harbottle
Hi Harbottle,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

The full-size version of David's drawing is in the Image Gallery here.

Go to:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_gallery_single.php?display=ALL&page=407#gallery_top

Click the small image, and then the view at original size link under the image on the next screen. You can then right-click on the full-size image and save it on your computer.

To find it again later, click Gallery images under David's name on the left to browse all the images he has uploaded.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Jun 2013 23:18

Harbottle

Pleasley - United Kingdom

Thanks

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > FB rail on turntable - size?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020