topic: 819Half-scissors in P4
author remove search highlighting

posted: 17 May 2009 16:44

philchudley

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All

I have made attempt at Templotting an outside single slip in P4, the .BOX for which is attached.

This is form the major part of a small goods yard where the maximum loco will be an 0-6-0T and short wheel base goods stock.

I have used curved B7s (REA) and a 1:4 curved diamond as the base templates and I intend to use Exactoscale and C&L components (crossings switches and chairs) for construction using ply sleepers.

I would very much appreciate any assistance in "cleaning up" the result as with my limited templot knowledge I cannot find a way eliminating just one rail on a template. This is necessary around the crossing areas.

Cheers

Phil
Attachment: attach_549_819_Outside_Slip_P4.box 381

posted: 17 May 2009 17:27

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

philchudley wrote:
I cannot find a way of eliminating just one rail on a template. This is necessary around the crossing areas.
Hi Phil,

See this message, which includes a bit of Jing video showing how to make partial templates and create a gap in a rail:

message 3967

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 May 2009 17:50

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Here is  outside single slip in P4, may not be perfect but it was good enough to get the job done as you can see elsewhere on the Forum.
Martin Wynne wrote:
philchudley wrote:
I cannot find a way of eliminating just one rail on a template. This is necessary around the crossing areas.
Hi Phil,

See this message, which includes a bit of Jing video showing how to make partial templates and create a gap in a rail:

message 3967

regards,

Martin.

Attachment: attach_550_819_outslideslip.box 380

posted: 17 May 2009 18:35

Martin Wynne

Borg-Rail wrote:
Here is  outside single slip in P4, may not be perfect but it was good enough to get the job done as you can see elsewhere on the Forum.
Hi Phil, Stephen,

Phil, your formation isn't actually an outside slip -- the usual meaning of a slip requires the rail to pass inside the diamond.

The usual term for what you have there is a "half-scissors". The side road is completely clear of the diamond, and if there was a similar road on the other side it would be possible for both side roads to be occupied simultaneously. That isn't possible for a (double) outside slip, like this:

double_outslip.jpgdouble_outslip.jpg

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 May 2009 08:33

philchudley

Thanks guys for the very prompt and informative feed back, thanks Martin for the clarification. The photo is exactly what I had in mind althought only a half scissiors version.

Will apply the ideas and suggestions and post the results when finished.

Cheers

Phil

posted: 18 May 2009 10:09

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

Hi Phil

I've taken the liberty of tidying up your formation. Hope this works for you.

Regards

Alan McMillan
Attachment: attach_551_819_milton_sidings_tidied_up.box 367

posted: 18 May 2009 11:10

philchudley

Many thanks Alan, much appreciated and the end result looks great!

Thanks again

posted: 18 May 2009 11:12

Alan McMillan

You're very welcome Phil, glad to be of help!

Alan

posted: 18 May 2009 11:49

Martin Wynne

Swissrail wrote:
Hi Phil

I've taken the liberty of tidying up your formation.
Hi Alan,

Many thanks for doing that for Phil. :thumb:

However, there is a bit more needed yet. :)

The V-crossing noses in both the B-7 turnouts are not properly supported on the timbers. It's a good idea when using a partial template containing a V-crossing to include at least the Y - X - A - B - C timbers in the same partial template, and then shove other timbers around them to fit, or to occupy the same positions. This ensures that the vee nose is properly supported and all special crossing chairs can be fitted in the correct positions.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 May 2009 11:56

Alan McMillan

I see what you mean Martin, point (no pun intended) taken!

Alan

posted: 19 May 2009 08:51

philchudley

Thanks Martin for pointing that out :), I will get templotting this lunchtime.

Cheers

Phil

posted: 2 Jun 2009 13:57

philchudley

Martin Wynne wrote:
Borg-Rail wrote:
Hi Phil, Stephen,

Phil, your formation isn't actually an outside slip -- the usual meaning of a slip requires the rail to pass inside the diamond.

The usual term for what you have there is a "half-scissors". The side road is completely clear of the diamond, and if there was a similar road on the other side it would be possible for both side roads to be occupied simultaneously. That isn't possible for a (double) outside slip, like this:

double_outslip.jpgdouble_outslip.jpg

regards,

Martin.

I have tidied up the Half Scissors and am happy with the result, but I would also like to have a go a reproducing the outside slip example as shown above posted by Martin. I will however only be doing a single outside slip (the right hand half in the picture)

What is the best approach when using partial templates? Should I start with both turnouts (they look like 9' loose heel, but would an A6 REA work just as well?

I would then overlay copies of these and then adjust the visbility of rails, check rails etc. Once these wer OK I could then repeat a similar process with the diamond.

Or would it be easier to start with the turnout in the foreground, then add the diamond, overlay the partial templates and then move on the last turnout?

I had a go at the last method, but found that the curved sections of the turnouts would not align exactly

Is my approach incorrect here? I have followed the videos for the double slip and tandam, but I would really like to master partial templates myself. I just need some pointers as to the correct approach to use, particualarly in aligning the curved sections of the turnouts.

Cheers

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Half-scissors in P4
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020