author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 May 2009 23:19

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Dear all,

Today I received an email from a Templot user who has lost all his Templot data files as a result of a virus on his computer. I have had similar emails in the past from users who have lost all their Templot files following hard disk failure or for other reasons. We all know how many hours of work may have gone into such files, and the great loss this represents.

It's easy to say such files should have been backed up, but that's not always straightforward without buying extra drives, finding a blank CD, subscribing to an online backup service, or whatever.

So it seemed to me that uploading your file as an attachment here on Templot Club would be a simple and quick way to keep a safe copy of your files, which you could download again if ever needed. :cool:

Of course, this web site is not a secure data centre so you shouldn't use this as the only backup of important personal files, and I can offer no guarantee that your data will be 100% safe for all time. But Jim Hale at Data 1 Systems has a very robust backup schedule for our Templot Club database. Which means that uploading a file here in effect makes two backup copies and the chances of them both failing -- simultaneously with the one on your own computer -- must be very slim.

Accordingly I have created a new forum space called My notes and files . To use it as an online backup, start a new topic in that forum and post messages there to which you can attach your files. You can give the topic any subject heading you wish, and add any notes you wish in each message. You could start a fresh topic for each new project, perhaps. Note that you can't attach files to an empty message -- you must have at least one word of text in the message part.

Your topics will be inaccessible to everyone except yourself, so only you will be able to download your files, read the messages or post new messages and files to those topics.

Please use this facility responsibly and use it only for Templot-related material. There is plenty of space on the web site at present, but if it gets too full I may have to discontinue this option or restrict file sizes. If you are able to zip compress your files before uploading them, please do so.

I'm not sure how useful this will be, but the only way to find out is to try it and see. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 May 2009 07:09

Rextanka

Scotts Valley - California USA

Very nice.

Templot moves into the "cloud".  Right on the bleeding edge :)

I've been using live mesh a lot recently to share documents, works really well for me, 5GB limit, can be accessed from Macs or PCs, or both.

http://www.mesh.com/welcome/default.aspx

Having an area here for Templot files is a very good idea.

-- Nick

posted: 26 May 2009 13:54

Martin Wynne

Rextanka wrote:
Very nice.

Templot moves into the "cloud".  Right on the bleeding edge :)
Hi Nick,

Thanks. :)

I've changed the new forum name to "My notes and files" to make it more obvious that material posted in there won't be visible to anyone else, and I've put the forum in its own category called "My Templot".

There are several topics/files in there already. I would be grateful if everyone other than their owners would give this site a good bashing and try to gain access to them, just to prove that the restrictions are working and you can't gain access. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 May 2009 21:54

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
see:  http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_category.php?id=4
I get an "Invalid request" error. :(

John

posted: 26 May 2009 22:01

Martin Wynne

John Lewis wrote:
Martin Wynne wrote:
see:  http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_category.php?id=4
I get an "Invalid request" error. :(
Hi John,

That's actually a bug in the forum software. :( I have notified Jim about it.

It's because you are not logged in. If you log in first, you should be able to see the "My notes and files" forum on that link. But you shouldn't be able to see any topics in it, other than your own topics if you have any.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 May 2009 22:49

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin

Would it be possible to have a "My Templot" or a "My notes and files" button along with the "Search", "Chat" etc buttons, please?

posted: 26 May 2009 23:35

Martin Wynne

John Lewis wrote:
Would it be possible to have a "My Templot" or a "My notes and files" button along with the "Search", "Chat" etc buttons, please?
Hi John,

I'm sorry I confused you by posting the category link.

There is no need for a button. Just go to the Templot Club front page at http://85a.co.uk/forum
and scroll down a bit to see the "My notes and files" forum.

But you must be logged in to see it. It's worth always logging in when you visit Templot Club -- then there would be no need to post messages by email. If you post them directly on the web site as you did for your last message, they appear instantly.

You can always get quickly to the front page by clicking the Templot Club logo at the top of every page.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 May 2009 08:41

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

I have just had a look at this page and when clicking on the forum " My notes and Files" I see this page created at (what ever time it is ) but not much else but if I click on " go to  message " on the right I get the message which I have added as an attachment.

Cheers Phil :D
Attachment: attach_558_835_Templot_message.PNG 508

posted: 27 May 2009 09:24

Martin Wynne

Phil O wrote:
I have just had a look at this page and when clicking on the forum "My notes and files" I see "this page created at (what ever time it is )" but not much else
Hi Phil,

That's correct, thanks. :)

Going to the My notes and files forum you should see listed only your own topics. If you haven't started any topics in that forum, you shouldn't see any topics listed. There are actually several topics there, but because they aren't yours you can't see them.

To start your own topic there, click the Start new topic button. Only you will ever be able to see it listed, or access any messages you post to it, or any attached files you upload.

but if I click on "go to message" on the right I get the message which I have added as an attachment.
That's right. Unfortunately I can't prevent the link to the most recent message in that forum appearing in the main list of forums. But if you try to go to it you will get the "not permitted" message (unless it's one of your own messages).

Thanks for your report. Everything seems to be working as intended, apart from a slight "funny" with the emailed daily digest, which I'm now looking into.

Did anyone else receive the daily digest today (i.e. the one direct from this site, not via Yahoo) with the wrong subject line?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 May 2009 14:31

Andy G

Martin,
Thanks for this facility. I've uploaded the four variations of Slattocks Junction and whilst I can see those in the latest postings I cannot see anybody elses backups.

Regards
Andy

posted: 27 May 2009 16:51

Martin Wynne

I wrote:
Unfortunately I can't prevent the link to the most recent message in that forum appearing in the main list of forums.

I was being a bit feeble there. :(

I have now done that. :)

I have removed the "most recent message" details from the forum lists, and also suppressed the confusing "new messages" icon.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 May 2009 16:55

Martin Wynne

Andy G wrote:
Thanks for this facility. I've uploaded the four variations of Slattocks Junction and whilst I can see those in the latest postings I cannot see anybody else's backups.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for letting me know.

I'm glad you are finding it useful and that it's working as intended. :thumb:

regards,

Martin.

posted: 28 May 2009 19:10

jeckardt

Beaverton - Oregon USA

I've uploaded a couple of files.  I definately like the concept.  Thank you for providing it!

I discovered two things (which probably everyone but me already knew):

1. You can only attach one file per message;
  2. Every message must also have some text in the body or else it will simply be discarded without comment when you click "Send".  (Just having the attachment doesn't seem to be enough.)
No big deal as long as one is aware of them.

Joe

posted: 31 Aug 2010 01:04

Martin Wynne

Just bumping this topic for the interest of recent new members. See:

message 4888

Martin.

posted: 31 Aug 2010 22:43

Bill_Lobb

Scarborough - United Kingdom

Martin,
I know you said some time ago that there was plenty of space available,  but is there any way that I can delete files that are no longer required, to save some space?

Bill

posted: 1 Sep 2010 02:58

Martin Wynne

Bill_Lobb wrote:
I know you said some time ago that there was plenty of space available, but is there any way that I can delete files that are no longer required, to save some space?
Hi Bill,

Thanks for thinking about this and helping to keep the house tidy. :)

But don't delete anything if you think you may possibly need it one day, just to save space.

To delete a file:

Go to the message where you attached the file.

Click the Edit normal button.

Scroll down below the text area and tick the box for Delete attachment.

Click Send.

You can't delete the entire message from the system, but the text part takes up only a tiny fraction of the space compared with the attached file. You can delete most of the text if you wish, but you must leave at least one word or the Send button won't work. The obvious thing to do is to leave a note to yourself about which file has been deleted and the date.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 Jun 2018 21:29

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Just used the file backup facility in the 'My Notes and Files' forum for the first time - been meaning to test it for years :(

I compressed all the files in the Templot Dev folders such all .box .bgs etc but forgot to leave out the video folder. Started a new topic in 'My Notes and Files' and attached the compressed file. It took ages to do anything which is when I cottoned on to the error of including the video files. The file size was 56MB. When I look at the topic the message is there but no attachment shows - I assume that attachments that are too big are just dumped ?

Tried again without including the video, PDF preview and Print Preview folders and the file size is still 9.6MB ( just under the quoted limit ). Added this compressed file to another message all all appears fine and I can see the attachment.

Would it be an idea for you to specify which folders within Templot to include in the compressed file ( or warn if the resulting file is too big ) ? People may assume the upload has gone OK when it hasn't.

Rob

posted: 2 Jun 2018 23:09

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Would it be an idea for you to specify which folders within Templot to include in the compressed file ( or warn if the resulting file is too big ) ? People may assume the upload has gone OK when it hasn't.
Hi Rob,

It's easy to check if the upload has worked by doing a test download afterwards.

You can upload as many files as you wish by posting multiple messages. I assumed that folks would put one .box file or .bgs file in each message, with some notes about it.

It hadn't occurred to me that that anyone would want to upload the entire TEMPLOT_DEV folder, especially not all in one go. There is no reason to do that because there is nothing in there which can't be re-created or re-downloaded from the Templot web site, or re-created simply by re-running the Templot installation file.

The stuff which can't be re-created if lost is your own track plans and designs in the .box files and .bgs files. Note also that if you are using background maps or other picture shapes you need to upload the corresponding .sk8n files too.

If you have several designs, you might want to zip the whole BOX-FILES folder and/or the SHAPE-FILES folder. But try to keep the zip files below say 5MB each, perhaps by creating sub-folders. Attachments are stored in the database as BLOBs (binary large objects), and you don't want to give the database engine indigestion. :)

cheers,

Martin.   

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > File backup option for Templot Club members
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020