topic: 854Fine Point and blunt nose of vee
author remove search highlighting

posted: 7 Jun 2009 13:33

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
An erroneous remark on RMweb today ("the '+' on the Templot template marks where the true point of the V should be.") caused me to post a correction. I think it's worth repeating here.

The pink + mark on the Templot template doesn't show the tip of the vee, it shows the position of the "Fine Point" (FP), i.e. the intersection of the track gauge lines, at peg position CTRL-4.

The actual vee nose should be blunted back in the prototypical fashion so that it is strong enough to withstand wheel impacts and is properly supported in the "A" chair on the "A" timber. Here's a close-up of a Templot template showing that:

blunt_nose.pngblunt_nose.png

It's worth printing a duplicate copy of the template so that the position of details obscured by the timbers can be checked during construction.

For bullhead track the blunt nose width is 3/4" wide at the tip which scales to 0.44mm (17 thou) at 7mm/ft, so it's quite noticeably blunt and looks so much better than a sharp vee hanging in fresh air between the timbers.  (GWR is 11/16" wide, 0.40mm, 16 thou).

For 0-MF (31.5mm track gauge) the flangeways are narrow enough to allow for a scale width blunt nose, and still provide full support to the wheels through the V-crossing (frog).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Jun 2009 14:23

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin
the '+' on the Templot template marks where the true point of the V should be.
I would read that as the author saying the + is where the tip would be if it hadn't been blunted off, rather than where the actual physical blunt tip of the vee should be.  If you were to make an unprototypical sharp vee then the tip would be at the FP, wouldn't it?

Cheers

posted: 7 Jun 2009 15:49

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

That's my reading of it as well.

Alan

posted: 7 Jun 2009 16:14

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
If you were to make an unprototypical sharp vee then the tip would be at the FP, wouldn't it?
Hi Paul,

Yes, a sharp vee would be located at the FP. But if you want to use a sharp vee, you should set the bunt nose width to zero, so that Templot shows it as such on the FP mark, and automatically adjusts the timbering so that the vee nose is supported correctly on the "A" timber.

That's real > customize V-crossing > blunt nose... menu item. This is the result of setting zero:

sharp_nose.pngsharp_nose.png
:thumb:

If you fit a sharp nose to the FP mark on the default templates, you end up with the nose hanging in fresh air between the timbers, as shown in the photo on RMweb. It doesn't look good like that, and it's certainly not prototypical for standard-gauge bullhead track. :(

For light rail and narrow-gauge flat-bottom track the situation is not so clear-cut, and the timbering below may not be directly below the nose. As you can see on this image from the track gimping page: :)

wllr9.jpgwllr9.jpg

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Jun 2009 18:39

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin
But if you want to use a sharp vee, you should set the bunt nose width to zero, so that Templot shows it as such on the FP mark, and automatically adjusts the timbering so that the vee nose is supported correctly on the "A" timber.
You mean the nose width can be changed???  I'll have a look at that next time I'm in Templot.

I hadn't seen the RM Web page - I still haven't quite fathomed out the concept of having to go looking for new posts instead of them turning up by email :?

Cheers

posted: 7 Jun 2009 19:03

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote: 
You mean the nose width can be changed???
Hi Paul,

Since 078e of March 2003. :)

Go to: http://www.templot.com/martweb/pug_info_1.htm

Scroll down to "adjustable blunt nose and wing rail dimensions" and click the "info" icon. You might find some other surprises on those pages!

I hadn't seen the RM Web page - I still haven't quite fathomed out the concept of having to go looking for new posts instead of them turning up by email :?

Here's the link -- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=45544

Some detailed photos showing the construction of a 0-MF turnout using C&L components, by Richard Lambert.

There is a Templot-sponsored forum on RMweb if you haven't seen it --

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=64

The email situation on RMweb is unfortunate, and S4Webforum is the same. I keep singing the praises of Jim's UltraBB forum software but it falls on deaf ears. :(

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Jun 2009 08:48

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Here is a link to a photo of how I think you mean they should be done (Yes I know that there should be a special chair at the vee - this can be represented by using half a 4 bolt chair on each side if you don't want to splash out on the proper job and is easily fitted to any angle crossing). http://www.borg-rail.com/crossing1.jpg
hope that works for you. It was too large to upload.
Last edited on 15 Jun 2009 08:50 by Stephen Freeman
posted: 15 Jun 2009 08:49

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Hi

I should add that I believe that the best way to build a turnout is to start with the common  crossing and build out. Not exactly original I know but it works (I think I read about doing it this way first in Model Railway Constructor in an article by Tony Wilkins some years ago, I can look it out for further details if needed but I'm sure most will be familiar with it).
Last edited on 15 Jun 2009 08:58 by Stephen Freeman

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Fine Point and blunt nose of vee
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020