Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 877Slattocks Junctions
author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Jun 2009 12:16

Andy G

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I had intended to post this once the layout design was entirely complete, however, Martin has offered to draw the irregular single slip for me and needs the box file.  I'll start with the complete box file and then post the partial one that Martin is after.
You can read the full explanation of the redesign here Rebirth of Slattocks Junctions on RMWeb.
Attachment: attach_576_877_slattocks_junction_09_06_20_2115_18.box 413

posted: 23 Jun 2009 12:18

Andy G

And now the slip in context.  The slip needs to allow movements from the up main (lower track) to the down main.  The tandem is in the goods yard and the turnout with no timbers is part of the double junction.
Attachment: attach_577_877_Slattocks_Slip_Area.box 393

posted: 23 Jun 2009 12:19

Andy G

And now just the slip templates.

Thanks for this help Martin.

Regards
Andy
Attachment: attach_578_877_Slattocks_Slip.box 357

posted: 23 Jun 2009 13:33

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Andy,

Thanks for uploading the files. I will get on with creating the irregular slip for you.

However, I have had a quick look and I'm not sure I would do it that way. :)

If you change the B-8 part of the tandem to B-8.75 you can have a regular 1:7 curved single slip making a good fit. I think this would be a lot more prototypical than the irregular slip (and you then get a slightly easier radius in the slip road). It means moving the B-7 turnout about 35mm to the left, so I don't know how that would fit -- there is room to the next turnout (just) but you may have a board joint there. If you are tight for space there, it might be possible to shorten the lead on the turnout by increasing the entry straight on the crossing.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Jun 2009 15:19

Andy G

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the suggestion.  I've had a good look at it and tried a few things.  In trying to avoid a very short section of plain track between the crossing and the junction I'm not able to get a smooth line from the crossing to the tandem.  This is actually the way I had originally done it with a regular slip but Dick commented that there was a dog leg in it and that the straight path would actually give a better alignment which it did seem to.  If I introduce the short length (about four sleepers worth!) then I can get an alignment as you suggested, however pushing the other turnouts out moves the loop turnout which I've already built (oops jumped the gun!).

Cheers
Andy

posted: 25 Jun 2009 00:43

Martin Wynne

Andy G wrote:
This is actually the way I had originally done it with a regular slip but Dick commented that there was a dog leg in it and that the straight path would actually give a better alignment which it did seem to. If I introduce the short length (about four sleepers worth!) then I can get an alignment as you suggested, however pushing the other turnouts out moves the loop turnout which I've already built (oops jumped the gun!).
Hi Andy,

The standard sizes for bullhead slips are 7, 7.1/2 and 8 (with fixed K-crossings). I think it's extremely unlikely that an irregular single slip would be designed for this location. It's more likely that any special work would be done in the tandem, to allow standard sizes to be used in the running lines for much easier maintenance.

So I changed the left half of the tandem to B-8.3/4, and then got a smooth line across the slip at 1:7 regular, without dog-legs. :)

It does push the B-7 turnout further left, but there is room to build the switch into the V-crossing of the loop turnout if that can't be moved.

Here's a screenshot. The .box file is attached. Add file... over your existing plan and see what you think (it's not finished, no slip road yet or timber shoving, and the tandem needs some re-work):

slattocks_junc_mod_a.pngslattocks_junc_mod_a.png

slattocks_junc_mod_b.pngslattocks_junc_mod_b.png

I'll get on with the irregular diamond for the double-junction (a typical location for an irregular diamond).

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_579_877_slattocks_junction_mods_a.box 374

posted: 25 Jun 2009 10:44

Andy G

Martin,
Thanks for this, I'll have a look at it. No need to do the irregular crossing as Dick is going to draw it out and build it, so I'm leaving him to it.

Cheers
Andy

posted: 25 Jun 2009 14:51

Martin Wynne

Andy G wrote:
No need to do the irregular crossing as Dick is going to draw it out and build it, so I'm leaving him to it.
Hi Andy,

Ok, but I had already done it, so I thought I may as well post the files. :)

The irregular diamond came out (left to right below) as:

V  1 : 8.38  RAM
K  1 : 5.75  RAM
K  1 : 5.75  RAM
V  1 : 4.63  RAM

slattocks_junc_mod_c.pngslattocks_junc_mod_c.png

I can't upload that as a .box file compatible with your version 091c, so I have exported a DXF file and re-imported it into the background shapes in version 091c, like this:

slattocks_junc_mod_d.pngslattocks_junc_mod_d.png

The .bgs file is attached below. Do add file... in your background shapes and you should get the result as above.

Then when printed, it should look like this (assuming you have background shapes switched on for printing). It is very evident that the one half-diamond is much longer than the other:

slattocks_irreg_print.pngslattocks_irreg_print.png

regards,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_580_877_slattocks_junction_irreg.bgs 359

posted: 25 Jun 2009 15:16

Andy G

Thanks Martin,
I'll upload it as we'll then have a complete Templot of the scenic boards rather than having a hole in the middle.

I've looked at the slip arrangement you put up and can see that it does fit, I've also sorted out the loop and the other turnouts without having to place the toe of the switch for one into the vee of the other.

The only issue I've got with this arrangement is the very short length of plain track between the slip and the toe of the junction. Dick had said that this was avoided if possible.

Cheers
Andy

posted: 25 Jun 2009 15:44

Martin Wynne

Andy G wrote:
The only issue I've got with this arrangement is the very short length of plain track between the slip and the toe of the junction. Dick had said that this was avoided if possible.
Hi Andy,

True, but the way the prototype would avoid that would be to move the slip forward and move the tandem further round the curve.

The alternative is to specify over-long switch fronts on the turnout to avoid the short length of plain track. That would be more likely than a complete custom irregular slip design.

p.s. By the way, in the double junction the turnouts would ideally be changed to curviform V-crossings, then snake them forward a fraction to align with the diamond. As it stands with contraflexure through the generic crossings, you have a very slight reverse curve in the vee splice rails. 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Jul 2009 10:43

Andy G

Hopefully a final update for a good while, but here is the track plan as it will be implemented.  Front side is fixed, we've made the decision that this is what we are building, fiddle yard may be adjusted yet. 

Regards
Andy
Attachment: attach_597_877_slattocks_junction_09_07_22_2251_11.box 388

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Slattocks Junctions
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020