author remove search highlighting

posted: 30 Jul 2009 22:01

SimonH

Launceston Tasmania - Australia

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Every one,

I notice that a lot of the attachments to postings are with a .box file extention. While I can open the postings, I cannot open these .box files, and I can't seem to find any where that gives me the ability to do so. 

The answer is probable very simple but can some kind sole tell me what it is please.

Cheers

Simon Handby

( In a very cold Tassy)

posted: 30 Jul 2009 22:10

Nigel Brown

Simon

They're Templot box files. So you need to download them and stick them with your other box files, then enter Templot and load the one you want to look at.

cheers
Nigel

posted: 31 Jul 2009 08:01

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

SimonH wrote:
I notice that a lot of the attachments to postings are with a .box file extension. While I can open the postings, I cannot open these .box files, and I can't seem to find any where that gives me the ability to do so.
Hi Simon,

.box files are saved in Templot's own data storage format. So you will be able to use them only if you are a Templot user.

If you are, you should be able to click on the link, and your browser will download the file and launch Templot for you. Templot will then ask you if you want to load the downloaded file.

I've made a bit of Jing video showing that happening (in Firefox) -- it may take a few seconds to start:  

http://screencast.com/t/DEq7j9ezB

If you prefer, instead of choosing to Open the downloaded file, you can choose the option in your browser to Save it. Then you can select a folder on your computer where you want it saved. And at any time later you can go there in Templot (reload / add from file ... menu item) and load the .box file.

Saving the downloaded file is also the best option to choose if you already have the Templot program running. Otherwise you will end up with two separate instances of Templot running on your computer, which could be confusing.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2009 08:58

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

There you are Simon - in only seven clicks...... And almost every other programme will do the same task with just one.......

That is something you learn early on with this software - Templot is RSI's best ally...... :-)
Regards

Brian Lewis

Martin Wynne wrote:
SimonH wrote:
I notice that a lot of the attachments to postings are with a .box file extension. While I can open the postings, I cannot open these .box files, and I can't seem to find any where that gives me the ability to do so.
Hi Simon,

.box files are saved in Templot's own data storage format. So you will be able to use them only if you are a Templot user.

If you are, you should be able to click on the link, and your browser will download the file and launch Templot for you. Templot will then ask you if you want to load the downloaded file.

I've made a bit of Jing video showing that happening (in Firefox) -- it may take a few seconds to start:  

http://screencast.com/t/DEq7j9ezB

If you prefer, instead of choosing to Open the downloaded file, you can choose the option in your browser to Save it. Then you can select a folder on your computer where you want it saved. And at any time later you can go there in Templot (reload / add from file ... menu item) and load the .box file.

Saving the downloaded file is also the best option to choose if you already have the Templot program running. Otherwise you will end up with two separate instances of Templot running on your computer, which could be confusing.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2009 10:10

BruceNordstrand

Riverstone, NSW - Australia

Brian Lewis wrote:
There you are Simon - in only seven clicks...... And almost every other programme will do the same task with just one.......

That is something you learn early on with this software - Templot is RSI's best ally...... :-)
Regards

Brian Lewis

Only if there is a file association in Explorer which, nine times out of ten, is created by an installation program. You too can have one click opening of box files by Choosing Open With.... and permanently making the association with Templot :)

posted: 31 Jul 2009 10:12

Martin Wynne

Brian Lewis wrote:
Hi Brian,

Most programs require two clicks, and so does Templot if you wish:

1. Click the link in your browser.

2. Click the button to Open the file.

3. Wait until Templot appears and you have a browser message that downloading has finished, then hold down the ENTER key on the keyboard for a few seconds.

Unfortunately I can't show that in a video.

The intermediate click options are all there for a good reason, should you need them. Other programs don't give you any choice.

If you have RSI, even the first two clicks can be avoided -- use the TAB and ENTER keys to navigate your browser.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2009 10:23

Martin Wynne

BruceNordstrand wrote:
You too can have one click opening of box files by Choosing Open With.... and permanently making the association with Templot :)
Hi Bruce,

The version 0.74.b installation does that for you. Or should do.

Which is why you should install that version before installing a subsequent Pug version -- as explained on the download page.

(If you choose to install the Pug version to a different location, it is up to you to change the file associations accordingly, if you wish.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2009 10:24

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Wow!  I have just tried it - and it works. Brilliant.

Just wish I had know about this earlier.  Now if this had been featured in the 'How to' booklet that Templot so clearly needs.......... :-)

Thanks Martin.

Regards

Brian Lewis
Martin Wynne wrote:
Brian Lewis wrote:
Hi Brian,

Most programs require two clicks, and so does Templot if you wish:

1. Click the link in your browser.

2. Click the button to Open the file.

3. Wait until Templot appears and you have a browser message that downloading has finished, then hold down the ENTER key on the keyboard for a few seconds.

Unfortunately I can't show that in a video.

The intermediate click options are all there for a good reason, should you need them. Other programs don't give you any choice.

If you have RSI, even the first two clicks can be avoided -- use the TAB and ENTER keys to navigate your browser.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2009 10:38

Martin Wynne

Brian Lewis wrote:
Wow!  I have just tried it - and it works. Brilliant.

Just wish I had known about this earlier. Now if this had been featured in the 'How to' booklet that Templot so clearly needs.......... :)
Hi Brian,

It's not a feature of Templot -- it's a feature of Windows.

Perhaps I should start with a "How to" booklet for Windows? :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2009 10:51

BruceNordstrand

Riverstone, NSW - Australia

Martin Wynne wrote:
BruceNordstrand wrote:
You too can have one click opening of box files by Choosing Open With.... and permanently making the association with Templot :)
Hi Bruce,

The version 0.74.b installation does that for you. Or should do.

Which is why you should install that version before installing a subsequent Pug version -- as explained on the download page.

(If you choose to install the Pug version to a different location, it is up to you to change the file associations accordingly, if you wish.)

regards,

Martin.
Well there ya go, Templot is like every other program :) I use Windoze only for Templot and Trainz so have no need to double click on .box files but the info is handy for those that need the ability. I am a Mac convert myself.....

posted: 31 Jul 2009 17:59

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

What's with all this double-clicking malarkey?  That's a sure way towards RSI :( There is a very simple setting in Windows to make things single-click, and everyone to whom I've shown this setting has expressed disbelief that it isn't set as a default as it makes life so much easier.  Any file, including Templot's box files, then opens with just one click of the mouse, or even just moving the cursor over the file and hitting Return (zero clicks)

To set it, open up any folder in Windows Explorer, such as My Documents.  Click on the Tools menu then Folder Options.  On the General tab set the "Single-click to open an item (point to select" and "Underline icon titles only when I point at them".  This works throughout Windows, except (for some bizarre reason) the System Tray (bottom right of your screen).

Hope this helps someone!

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020