topic: 919WR Devon Mainline c1960
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Aug 2009 22:24

BrianH

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi,

Hopefully all you Templot experts out there can spare me a few minutes to have a look at my first Templot design and point out any ideas/improvements/schoolboy errors.

The background is that I have a room 16.5' by 11.5' in which I plan to build an OO gauge roundy roundy which will represent a small station on the ex GWR mainline between Plymouth and Newton Abbot. The station will also be the junction for a small branch which primarily is used to transport china clay from South Dartmoor. This means there will be exchange sidings and a bay platform as well as the usual small goods yard.

For more details please see my RMWeb thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=39922

This is the second draft, modified after comments on RMWeb. Please note I have not shoved any timbers yet and the two crossovers need to be modified to become single slips to allow running round using the up and down lines.

Thanks in advance for any help recieved.

Brian.

Attachment: attach_637_919_plan3.box 402

posted: 5 Aug 2009 18:55

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

Hi Brian

I've done some cleaning up on your template, smoothing out some of the turnouts and inserting some transition curves to take away from the slight "set-track" look it had previously. Hope you approve.

Regards

Alan McMillan
Attachment: attach_638_919_Devon_Mainline.box 402
Last edited on 5 Aug 2009 18:58 by Alan McMillan
posted: 6 Aug 2009 00:01

Nigel Brown

Hi Brian

A few ideas. How about

(a) Converting the upper platform to an island platform, and swapping the main buildings to the lower platform. This would involve moving the station down just a bit, but not much. Move it down a bit further, and  you then have room for a run round loop for the branch on the branch platform if you want one.

(b) If you follow (a), you can then reverse direction for the exchange sidings, so that they're fed off the branch platform, or its loop road if you have one. This means they're facing the right direction for collecting by goods trains which are heading for Exeter. (a) and (b) together would I think simplify the layout while making operation easier.

(c) you probably then have room for a small loco shed if you want one in one of the two top corners, possibly with room to stable the autocoach if you want to.

(d) re the goods yard, you could just lead a couple of sidings off the goods loop heading right, in front of the platform, which would simplify things. If you adopt (a) then the goods yard could lead off the station approach, which would be in front of the lower platform.

(e) it might be worth thinking about how you're going to handle empties. E.g. you could have them dropped off into the goods yard sidings, to be moved over to the exchange sidings by the branch engine, or the train loco could move them over there.

Just some ideas!

cheers
Nigel

posted: 6 Aug 2009 12:04

BrianH

Alan,

Thanks for that. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. I see you have also done the single slips for me:thumb:

If you are ever down in the south west I'll buy you a beer or two:D

Nigel,

Thanks you for your suggestions. All your ideas would certainly give the layout more operating potential.

I will give them some thought, although one problem I have is that the station is going to be immediately ajacent to a viaduct (I am loosely basing the location on Ivybridge) which makes adding any pointwork to the east end of the station problematic. My original sketch plan shows what I mean.

Thanks again.

Brian.

Attachment: attach_639_919_plan_v2.jpg 288

posted: 6 Aug 2009 12:14

Alan McMillan

Hi Brian

It was a pleasure. I'll be in Wells for the exhibition there in the next few months. (Not sure exactly when). I'll be with the West of Scotland Scale Seven Group exhibiting The Cydesdale Iron Foundry layout. We can have a beer then!:)

Regards

Alan

posted: 6 Aug 2009 13:00

Nigel Brown

Brian

Yes, if you really want the top platform to end right against the end of the viaduct my suggestion wouldn't work. What I was thinking was that as you don't need the bay platform anymore, you could slide the whole top platform (with the bay chopped off) to the left, so that you could insert a turnout between platform and viaduct. Your two platforms would then be staggered, which could be a nice feature (but may not be want you want).

Like the whole South Devon 1960 idea though. An attractive proposition.

cheers
Nigel

posted: 6 Aug 2009 14:20

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

Alan McMillan wrote:
Hi Brian

It was a pleasure. I'll be in Wells for the exhibition there in the next few months. (Not sure exactly when). I'll be with the West of Scotland Scale Seven Group exhibiting The Cydesdale Iron Foundry layout. We can have a beer then!:)

Regards

Alan

RailWells is this coming weekend :thumb:

posted: 6 Aug 2009 15:13

Alan McMillan

Mmmm, that's a shame, in that case I'm going to miss it. I and my other half are off to a wedding this weekend. maybe next time though.

Alan

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > WR Devon Mainline c1960
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020