author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Sep 2009 08:53

Jim S-W

Solihull / Brierley Hill - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi All

I thought a little tutorial on how I do droppers might be helpful so here goes (Other dropper based options are available!)

Right then requirements before we start.
  1. each rail or rail assembly must have 2 droppers to the power supply
  2. if the solder joint between the rail and the dropper were to fail then the dropper must not be able to fall through the baseboards
  3. the rail must not be secured to droppers at both ends so that its free to slide in the chairs
  4. it has to be quick and simple
droppers%20a.jpgdroppers%20a.jpg

Stage 1 comes when laying the sleepers as consideration need to be given as to where the droppers are going to be.  As I use plastic sleepers I use copperclad for those than need droppers - if you use wood then you can probably stick with wood throughout.

The sleeper marked A is not for power droppers but for droppers that hold the stock rail in place. The slide chairs in this area dont actually hold the rail.

droppers%20b.jpgdroppers%20b.jpg

Each sleeper is drilled and a brass lacemakers pin dropped through. Where there are 4 droppers together this provides an electrical connection between the stock rail and switch rail via the copper clad.  Only two of these droppers actually need to be wired to the power supply.

droppers%20c.jpgdroppers%20c.jpg

The rail with the chairs already threaded on is then glued in place.  The droppers are now trapped between the rail and the sleeper.

droppers%20d.jpgdroppers%20d.jpg

A touch of solder and the job is done! Dont forget to 'gap' the sleepers.  A cosmetic chair can be added later.  I tend to leave them off the non viewing side so that I can see where the dropper is if I need to know later.

droppers%20E.jpgdroppers%20E.jpg

As an aside, one compromise I take is to use as long a piece of rail as I can.  I really don't like short pieces of rails as I think they are asking for trouble.  You can nick the tops and add cosmetic fishplates when its all tested.  On a normal point there are only 2 'proper chars between the slide chairs and the rail end.  While plastic track is strong I do feel that relying on these 2 chairs to hold the rail on thier own is asking a lot so my solution (purists look away now) it to continue the rail onto normal track bases.  I always try to have rail joints in the middle of a 'panel' for ease of alignment.

Hope this helps

Jim

Jim Smith-Wright

p4newstreetlogosmall-1.jpgp4newstreetlogosmall-1.jpgs4logo.jpgs4logo.jpgwfrmlogo.jpgwfrmlogo.jpg

All images in my posts © Jim Smith-Wright unless stated - please do not use or alter without permission.

posted: 17 Sep 2009 21:27

Jim S-W

Hi All

the sticking point of handbuilt track is generally perceived to be the good old Vee. After all all points need them and a layout without them isn't really that much fun!

In reality though theres nothing difficult about building them its just a cast of right tool for the job and knowing what to do - the final element being practice. After all without practice no amount of wishing is going teach you how its done.

There are many ways and what follows is mine, theres nothing new or original about it but it works for me.

building%20a%20vee%201.jpgbuilding%20a%20vee%201.jpg
If you are not going to build a lot of pointwork then you can just buy your vee ready assembled. If you are then the filing jigs available from the EMGS will pay back their initial outlay many times over. This is the larger one and I am using the 1 in 9 angle (it will go up to 1 in 12). Simply put you just pop your rail in and file off the bit that sticks out. You are supposed to file bend then file again but I dont bother as you cant see the end result anyway.

building%20a%20vee%202.jpgbuilding%20a%20vee%202.jpg
The same jig can be used to hold the rails at the right angle while you solder them together. As I am using plastic sleepers mostly I solder the Vee to a base plate of Nickel silver for ease and strength.

building%20a%20vee%203.jpgbuilding%20a%20vee%203.jpg
Again you can use the jig to set your angle for your checkrails, Once you have built a lot of points you tend to get very good at bending angles by eye! This angle was my initial bend with flat nosed pliers, not bad hu? It was a smidge out though so a gentle tap with a small hammer brought it spot on. Alway over bend and tap the bend to get it back.

building%20a%20vee%204.jpgbuilding%20a%20vee%204.jpg
Using a ruler for the alignment of the rail and a gauge to set the check rail gap the check rail is soldered to the baseplate.

building%20a%20vee%205.jpgbuilding%20a%20vee%205.jpg
The ruler cant be used for the other rail as the vee in in the way. I line this rail up buy eye. By using a base plate you can always unsolder the rail if its wrong and try again. Theres a lot of metal here and heat will sink away pretty rapidly so you will have to really go some to accidentally unsolder the vee

building%20a%20vee%206.jpgbuilding%20a%20vee%206.jpg
Finally the excess baseplate is gut away with a slitting disk in a minidrill. Holding the drill at an angle helps to hide the baseplate. I also gently tidy the vee itself with the minidrill so that there are no jolts on the sides. Dont forget to give it a wash so that any left over flux is removed. These views show the front and back.

One thing that crops up from time to time and seems to get overlooked by those who know how to build track is the orientation of the rail. With bullhead rail the fat bit is at the top not the bottom.

Including taking the pictures this vee took half an hour to put together. (well 32 mins actually!)

Hope this helps someone.

Jim

posted: 26 Oct 2009 12:15

Jim S-W

Hi All

Been busy working on the station throat for the Derby/London end of the station. While the track is a lot simpler (read boring!) than the other end the way that everything is on a curve does provide a bit of interest.

trackworklondone.jpegtrackworklondone.jpeg
trackworklondonea.jpegtrackworklondonea.jpeg

Cheers

Jim
Last edited on 26 Oct 2009 12:16 by Jim S-W
posted: 14 Nov 2009 12:29

Jim S-W

Hi All

When I built the plank I needed representations of the Westinghouse EP point machine and heater. With nothing available I knocked them up from scratch but while I needed 2 I built 3. The third one, by a roundabout route found its way to George from S-Kits. Today a parcel arrived back from George with his version of what I sent him. To say I am well pleased with what he has produced would be an understatement!

Cheers

Jim

point%20motor.jpgpoint%20motor.jpg

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > JSW's Workbench - power droppers
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020