topic: 979Laser Cut Templates
author remove search highlighting

posted: 23 Nov 2009 14:47

Donald MacLean

Ottawa - Ontario Canada

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have seen posts on the forum regarding availability of laser cut sleeper configurations for complex track sections. (C & L)

My (convoluted) question is this.

As 'printed' templates can be developed showing only inner stockrail faces and crossing vees, is it possible to derive CAD-type (DXF?) machine readable outputs of specific point formations so that 'physical' templates could be cut out of wood or plastic of appropriate thickness? This would simplify the accurate fixing of the outer rails and crossing.

I realize that this would only benefit those who are content with using a sub-set of 'standard' templates. In my case straight B-6s, and curved B-8s. But as I will need about thirty sets of points on my 'new-and-improved' layout it would appear a cost effective way of proceeding. [I am using Canadian 'FastTrack' filing jigs to prepare the crossing vees and points planing.]

Many moons ago, when I started in model railways in the 50s, one could obtain such an item made out of Tuffnol - a hard plastic(?) that seems to have vanished from the market place. Probably manufactured the 'hard' way using a band-saw or such.

Any comments on feasibility? And if positive, any pointers to suitable (inexpensive) one-off manufacturers?

Yours

Donald F. MacLean

posted: 23 Nov 2009 16:08

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Not 'complex track formations' Donald. (I just do not have time to do these now, though when C+L is sold in February, who knows?). Just simple bases for a wide range of turnouts. Straight B6s and curved B8s are available in OO, EM, P4 and 7mm.

Regards

Brian Lewis.
Donald MacLean wrote:
I have seen posts on the forum regarding availability of laser cut sleeper configurations for complex track sections. (C & L)

My (convoluted) question is this.

As 'printed' templates can be developed showing only inner stockrail faces and crossing vees, is it possible to derive CAD-type (DXF?) machine readable outputs of specific point formations so that 'physical' templates could be cut out of wood or plastic of appropriate thickness? This would simplify the accurate fixing of the outer rails and crossing.

I realize that this would only benefit those who are content with using a sub-set of 'standard' templates. In my case straight B-6s, and curved B-8s. But as I will need about thirty sets of points on my 'new-and-improved' layout it would appear a cost effective way of proceeding. [I am using Canadian 'FastTrack' filing jigs to prepare the crossing vees and points planing.]

Many moons ago, when I started in model railways in the 50s, one could obtain such an item made out of Tuffnol - a hard plastic(?) that seems to have vanished from the market place. Probably manufactured the 'hard' way using a band-saw or such.

Any comments on feasibility? And if positive, any pointers to suitable (inexpensive) one-off manufacturers?

Yours

Donald F. MacLean

posted: 23 Nov 2009 16:50

Donald MacLean

Ottawa - Ontario Canada

Brian Lewis wrote:
Not 'complex track formations' Donald. (I just do not have time to do these now, though when C+L is sold in February, who knows?). Just simple bases for a wide range of turnouts. Straight B6s and curved B8s are available in OO, EM, P4 and 7mm.

Regards

Brian Lewis.
I'm obviously not explaining myself clearly. I'm not looking for track 'bases' - i.e. laser cut sleeper forms.

Rather just the 'inside' of a set of points as it were. As in - I hope - the attached png image

Ah! It worked!

Donald

1525_231149_250000000.png1525_231149_250000000.png

posted: 23 Nov 2009 17:02

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Hmm,

Still not sure I have this. Is it supposed to be a 'former' or 'mould', against which you position the rail sections? If so, it prevents you from laying down the crossing in one go, restricting you to just the vee. Also, what about curving?  Apart from the other turnouts, on Llaniog there were 9 off B7s. None were straight and all were different. If I have got you idea in my mind correctly, then this would entail hundreds of different permutations for each turnout.

Still bemused Donald MacLean wrote:
Brian Lewis wrote:

Regards

Brian Lewis.
I'm obviously not explaining myself clearly. I'm not looking for track 'bases' - i.e. laser cut sleeper forms.

Rather just the 'inside' of a set of points as it were. As in - I hope - the attached png image

Ah! It worked!

Donald

1525_231149_250000000.png1525_231149_250000000.png

posted: 23 Nov 2009 17:47

Donald MacLean

Ottawa - Ontario Canada

First off, Brian, thanks for your interest and speedy responses.

To answer your questions.

Yes - the object is to have form which can be positioned over the TemPlot printout on which the requisite copper clad sleepers have been glued down, and the vee crossing tacked to its set of copper clads. The template is positioned over the vee, and the outer stock rails snugged up against it and soldered to the remaining copper clad sleepers. The form is then removed for the fixing of the closure rails. [As I said in my first post I did this in OO back in the fifties]

Secondly, I agree that there is an infinite number of possible combinations of crossing and curvatures.
Which is why - and here you may have to close your eyes to my sacrilege/heresy/blasphemy - I have standardized on two basic point designs. Shades of 'set-track' I know, but if I am to get some kind of assembly line process going I have to compromise.

For many years I have modeled in 3mm coarse scale using ancient GEM pointwork - state of the art at the time, but dated nonetheless. I am rebuilding in TT-3 Intermediate in an attempt to improve appearance and reliability. I would have liked to go the full distance and transition to 14.2mm gauge fine scale, but, as my three score years and ten are now to be seen only in the rear view mirror I reckon life is too short to re-gauge all my rolling stock. It will be sufficient of a challenge to fit them all with finer profile wheels!

It might be possible - in vees greater than 6 - to solder only the curved stock rail and flex the resulting fish-bone to an acceptable radius before attaching the other stock rail and closure rails. Acceptable in my case meaning a substitution radius of no less than 24" (equivalent to 46.5 inches in EM) Tight but not (he rationalizes) too unsightly!

Again, thanks for the interest.

Donald

posted: 23 Nov 2009 18:06

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Ye Gods!  I knew I should not have responded to this....

Copperclad? Have a look at the December issue of BRM. A chap called Nigel Burkin is comparing types of trackwork. Then you will see why copperclad trackwork really is sub standard. Why not buy Peco? It works.

OK. I have been building trackwork for 40+ years and have seen it all. But when you consider the 'high art' RTR offerings available now and the attempts folk make to ensure their locos and rolling stock are as accurate as possible, why ruin the whole appearance by running all this on trackwork which is not of the same standard?

Brian Lewis.

Donald MacLean wrote:
First off, Brian, thanks for your interest and speedy responses.

To answer your questions.

Yes - the object is to have form which can be positioned over the TemPlot printout on which the requisite copper clad sleepers have been glued down, and the vee crossing tacked to its set of copper clads. The template is positioned over the vee, and the outer stock rails snugged up against it and soldered to the remaining copper clad sleepers. The form is then removed for the fixing of the closure rails. [As I said in my first post I did this in OO back in the fifties]

Secondly, I agree that there is an infinite number of possible combinations of crossing and curvatures.
Which is why - and here you may have to close your eyes to my sacrilege/heresy/blasphemy - I have standardized on two basic point designs. Shades of 'set-track' I know, but if I am to get some kind of assembly line process going I have to compromise.

For many years I have modeled in 3mm coarse scale using ancient GEM pointwork - state of the art at the time, but dated nonetheless. I am rebuilding in TT-3 Intermediate in an attempt to improve appearance and reliability. I would have liked to go the full distance and transition to 14.2mm gauge fine scale, but, as my three score years and ten are now to be seen only in the rear view mirror I reckon life is too short to re-gauge all my rolling stock. It will be sufficient of a challenge to fit them all with finer profile wheels!

It might be possible - in vees greater than 6 - to solder only the curved stock rail and flex the resulting fish-bone to an acceptable radius before attaching the other stock rail and closure rails. Acceptable in my case meaning a substitution radius of no less than 24" (equivalent to 46.5 inches in EM) Tight but not (he rationalizes) too unsightly!

Again, thanks for the interest.

Donald

posted: 23 Nov 2009 18:10

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Donald,

Using the DXF export to create that pattern is a lot of work and expense. Have you considered simply sticking the template to thick card and cutting out the pattern? It would then be easier to make several sizes and also have curved turnouts. It's a shame to hand build trackwork and not gain the full design flexibility it offers.

If your printer has a straight feed path, you may be able to print the template directly on to thick card.

Alternatively you can convert a template into an assembly jig by sticking it to a board and then inserting veneer pins each side of the rail between the timbers. Snip the heads off the pins (wear eye protection) so that you can drop the rail between them.

Whichever method you adopt, be sure to set the check rails using a proper check gauge tool. The other dimensions are not so critical and can be set using jigs and patterns -- or even by eye from the template.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Nov 2009 18:18

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Brian Lewis wrote:
Ye Gods! I knew I should not have responded to this....
That's not very friendly, Brian.

Donald said he is modelling in 3mm scale to the TT-Intermediate standard. I have just looked on your web site, and I can't see any track components for 3mm scale. Plastic chairs are available from the 3mm Society, see:

http://www.ncb.ndo.co.uk/rail/3mm/Getting_started/trackmaking/index.html

but they may not clear his RTR wheel flanges. Copper-clad may be his only option.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Nov 2009 18:59

Brian Lewis

United Kingdom

Oops! I was going to mention the 3mm Society trackwork, but it just never got down to my typing fingers...

Sorry for that.

Brian Lewis
Martin Wynne wrote:
Brian Lewis wrote:
Ye Gods! I knew I should not have responded to this....
That's not very friendly, Brian.

Donald said he is modelling in 3mm scale to the TT-Intermediate standard. I have just looked on your web site, and I can't see any track components for 3mm scale. Plastic chairs are available from the 3mm Society, see:

http://www.ncb.ndo.co.uk/rail/3mm/Getting_started/trackmaking/index.html

but they may not clear his RTR wheel flanges. Copper-clad may be his only option.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Nov 2009 19:16

Donald MacLean

Ottawa - Ontario Canada

Problem is - nothing commercially available for 3mm RTR.

3MM society and 3MSR produce chairs and track sleeper sections which still means using TemPlot or something to generate template design - with or without solder techniques.

PECO produces exceedingly limited HOm track components which, while compatible, have totally wrong sleeper spacing for 3mm. (Although their double slip is acceptable!)

While agreeing that finescale is the way to go, that view in the rear view mirror is receding rapidly!

Donald.

posted: 23 Nov 2009 19:36

Donald MacLean

Ottawa - Ontario Canada

Thanks Martin

I have just done that in basswood and I feel it is accurate enough at least to get the Vee in the right place and the rail curves naturally into the edge of the form. I was just wondering if it will survive multiple uses - but then again I can make an infinite number of them! Especially if I try to use thick card instead, as you suggest

Your suggestion as to using veneer pins as a point jig is note. I had seen your suggestion for using them to position track segments for gluing down on the track bed but hadn't taken the next logical step as to using them as a construction jig.

As to TemPlot itself, Martin, I have only one complaint. It's too ADDICTIVE! I never know when to stop! At least my new baseboards are just about finished and I can stick down my track plan in its final version. . .  I hope!

Thanks again

Donald

posted: 23 Nov 2009 21:04

Nigel Brown

Donald MacLean wrote:
Problem is - nothing commercially available for 3mm RTR.

3MM society and 3MSR produce chairs and track sleeper sections which still means using TemPlot or something to generate template design - with or without solder techniques.
Donald

There is of course the copperclad bespoke pointwork produced by 3SMR to order. It isn't cheap though and would set you back quite a few hundreds for the quantity you want. I've no experience of it, but the 3mm exhibition layout West Harptree which has been going solidly for many years uses it. Just a thought.

cheers
Nigel

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Laser Cut Templates
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020