topic: 994Is it feasible?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Dec 2009 15:22

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
The attached file contains a fiddle yard that I am unsure would work, but if it does, would give me greater flexibility and more storage space for wagons.

The six tracks slide between the loco storage tracks either side of the turntable and the wagon storage tracks at the top but include the curved portion too.  Anyone got any ideas on this, I have little experience in building fiddle yards.

Until I get this right there is not much point working on the rest of the layout.

Thanks

Raymond
Attachment: attach_711_994_birmingham_gwr_goods_New.box 361

posted: 19 Dec 2009 17:32

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Raymond, 

I think you've got a problem.   The tangents at the track ends at the joins are all at different angles which would give varying degrees of dog legs if the traverser was moved away from the basic setup of all six tracks matching.    You would have to have the track breaks on a line drawn from the centre of the circles and,  to make the other end of your yard work,  that line would have to be horizontal on your plan.  I don't know if you could accommodate the shorter lengths of the yard roads. 

If you want longer roads then the line from the centre would have to be at an angle and that would mean that your fiddle yard would have to move at the same angle,  and your loco head shunt section would also have to be at the same angle.     Your main fiddle yard and your loco head shunt would them become forms of parallelograms.    A problem with this setup is that you might require a bit more room to give full movement of the yard - i.e. the outermost fiddle yard track matches the innermost curve - since the movement of the fiddle yard to the left also moves it down and if the lower limit of the drawing is a brick wall,  then there will be definite limit to the leftward travel.

I worked out something similar many years ago but used a sector plate rather than a traverser on a curve.    I wrote it up for the S Scale Newsletter so I'll have to dig back a long way to see if I can find it and refresh my memory on the maths that was necessary :)

Jim.

posted: 19 Dec 2009 20:46

wcampbell23

Hamilton, Scotland - United Kingdom

Hi Raymond

The concept is certainly feasible.

The critical bit is to make the curved top (so to speak) at each of the six tracks the SAME radius and each with its own centre point - not concentric - so that the angle that each track meets the entrance road at the same angle.

The wagon storage tracks at the top are a little trickier since they must also have the same radius and so, unless they are adjusted after the point of contact, they will converge on each other towards the top of the plan.

It would be a good idea to use a wider than normal track centre spacing to avoid problems with the curved traverser tracks converging.

Otherwise - it should work fine.

Regards

Bill.

posted: 19 Dec 2009 21:06

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Raymond,

As Bill says, it should work fine -- providing you create the traverser tracks using the shift functions and not the double-track functions. You may also need to check the track spacing clearances on the curved sections.

I will post a bit of Jing video shortly showing what I mean.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Dec 2009 22:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Raymond,

Here is a bit of Jing video showing how to create your traverser tracks (allow it time to load). Create more tracks than you will actually build so that the storage tracks can be pegged onto each one, then delete the unwanted ones. For convenience I combined the curved section with the straight section in a single template using a zero-length transition. I set a track spacing of 4 inch centres (this needs to be the same for all of course).

p.s. The radii you are using seem very tight for 0 gauge?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Dec 2009 09:46

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

Many thanks to all who responded, I appreciate your help greatly.  Martin, I shall study your video later with great interest.  It seems the idea might be feasible after all and yes, the radii are tight and I have to sacrifice more space to ease them I think.  There is only 30x13 feet maximum in the loft.

I have been working on several major variations of the plan with different fiddle yards but have come to the conclusion that I need to get the fiddle yard right first because that will determine the total length of train that can be run.

Regards

Raymond

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Is it feasible?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020