Messages posted here can also be received as emails: information pre-print options:     

Templot Club Home list recently active topics
  Search  Image Gallery  My Account  Members  Help       

Forums and resources for users of Templot track design software about Templot Club

Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.

quick links: files, photos and messages archive on Yahoo
A single message from topic:  Changes in 219b   in forum:  Release notes
main Templot web site

Single message by Martin Wynne       Topic: Changes in 219b
Posted: 27 Mar 2018 12:29
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank  Go to topic 
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
stuart1600 wrote: I'm sure the new facility to rotate background shapes along with templates is very useful to some people, but I'm sorry to have to say that I'm finding it very irritating.Hi Stuart,

Some days I wish I had never invented the background shapes. They cause me more trouble than the rest of Templot combined.

I was asked to make an option to synchronise the background shapes with template group shifts and rotations. On the face of it, that seemed entirely reasonable and an obvious omission from Templot. It was a minefield to implement, but it never occurred to me that anyone would not want to be even offered the option. It is after all only one extra click or keypress to dismiss.

However, I can see that if you are making repeated shifts or rotations to fit a track plan to a baseboard or railway room it could get annoying. I just tried it. :(

So as a temporary measure I have added this tickbox:

If you untick that, you won't see the option to synchronise the shapes.

I don't want to force a full upgrade on everyone just for this one small change, so this is 219.z , and the program file only is attached below. Download this templot_2.exe file and save it in your

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\

folder to replace the one already there (or wherever else you installed Templot).

Switch off your anti-virus while you do it, and make sure Templot isn't running. When you restart Templot it is very likely that Windows will show a security alert which you will need to click away.

It is temporary because clearly it all needs more work. If you are using background maps as a track design guide you obviously want to keep them in sync with moves to the templates, while possibly retaining the baseboard outlines unchanged. On the other hand if the reason for the rotation is simply to make a more convenient fit of the whole thing on the screen, you would want to rotate everything.

It's been obvious for some time that the picture shapes need to be completely divorced from the background shapes as a separate function. But that will require a complete rewrite of the background shapes, abolition of the BGS format, and a new proper CAD-style drawing function. Not forgetting integration with the existing sketchboard drawing functions. It will happen one day, but not just yet.

Here's the program file:

cheers,

Martin.

Attachment: templot_2.exe (Downloaded 103 times)

A single message from topic:  Changes in 219b   in forum:  Release notes
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion live online chat Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes. If you want to re-publish any of this material or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.