author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Mar 2010 14:25

Dellboy

Aylesford - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello

I am about to start some point building, initally using copperclad sleepers (a first for me) for the hidden storage sidings and then using riveted sleepers for the rest of the trackwork. Code 75 rail with C&L flexitrack for the plain track. In the dim distant past I built points using rail soldered onto tacks driven in sleepers and then progressed onto the 'new' system of rivet/sleeper construction with whitemetal cosmetic chairs. That dates me a bit!

My sequence used to be to set up the main stock rail as one continuous rail for the full length of the point followed by the Vee, then the turnout stock rail, then the wing rails through to the switches with the check rails going in last. For three -way points all the vees would be installed after the first stock rail (starting with the Vee furthest from the switches). Similar approach for diamonds, slips and for scissors crossovers but with the associated K angles/wing rails etc being built with the Vees after the first stock rail. All using the appropriate gauges of course.

From what I've seen, current thinking advocates setting the Vee up first followed by the check rails and then stock rails. I cannot see the advantage of doing it this way as the slightest error in alignment of the Vee will result in overall misalignment of the point. My method of putting the stock rail in first anchors the overall alignment and the rest follows to suit. I should mention all my points are on transition curves.

My question is to all you point builders out there is what is your experience, to Vee or not to Vee?

And a second question; I have seen a method which initially appeals to me of using soldered rivets say every fourth/fifth sleeper with plastic cosmetic chairs in between. Has anyone had experience of this method?

Derek

posted: 11 Mar 2010 14:42

polybear

Norman Solomon puts the stock rail in first.....

HTH
Brian

posted: 11 Mar 2010 15:06

allanferguson

Fife - United Kingdom

I  had  always  been  a  dyed  in  the  wool  rivets  and  solder  man,  and  it  is  undoubtedly  strong  and  easily  adjustable.  However  it  undoubtedly  the  most  mind  numbingly  tedious  job  I  know  to  mark,  punch,  and  rivet  up  all  the  sleepers.  (As  a  Scottish  pre - group  modeller  I  use  sleepered  leads).  Of  late  I  have  taken  to  functional  plastic  sleepers,  in  my  case  from  C & L,  and  I  have  developed  confidence  in  the  method.  Using  the  recommended  Butanone  solvent  I  have  attached  plastic  chairs  to  ply  sleepers,  and  have  never  had  any  come  undone.  In  extremis  I  can  with  a  craft  knife  carefully  peel  the  chairs  off  without  damage.

The  assembly  is  fragile  until  stuck  down,  and  getting  it  off  the  template  and  onto  the  baseboard  needs  to  be  done  with  care.  Temporarily  soldering  lengths  of  rail  at  right  angles  across  the formation  can  help  to  hold  it  together,  and  the  wife's  hairdryer,  used  with  discretion  and  permission,  will  to  soften  the  double  sided  tape,  making  it  easier  to  get  the  formation  off.

The  difficult  area  is  the  crossing,  with  the  vee  and  wing  rails,  which  cannot  be  held  together  with  sufficient  accuracy  by  the  plastic  chairs.  My  practise  now  is  to  assemble  the  vee  and  wing  rails on  a  brass  baseplate  equal  in  thickness  to  the  chair  depth.  The brass  can  be  trimmed  with  care  and  a  cutting  disc  to  the  profile  of  the  rails  and  becomes  invisible  in  use.  I  use  a  separate  home  made  jig  and  a  lot  of  care  for  this,  and  the  crossing  assembly  then  becomes  perfectly  rigid,  and  is  held  in  place  by  chairs  on  the  extended  rail  ends,  and  by  half  chairs  fixed  around  it  later.

I  like  stick  to  the  method  of  straight  stock  rail  first,  then  crossing,  then  curved stock  rail,  but  sometimes  in  complex  formations  it's  necessary  to  be  imaginative!176_111006_020000000.jpg176_111006_020000000.jpg

It  all  seems  to  work  for  me!

posted: 11 Mar 2010 15:58

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

From what I've seen, current thinking advocates setting the Vee up first followed by the check rails and then stock rails. I cannot see the advantage of doing it this way as the slightest error in alignment of the Vee will result in overall misalignment of the point. My method of putting the stock rail in first anchors the overall alignment and the rest follows to suit. I should mention all my points are on transition curves. My question is to all you point builders out there is what is your experience, to Vee or not to Vee?

Derek,

I usually place the "V" first,  especially on complex formations.   The positions of the crossing noses dictate all the angles through the formation.    If you place a stock rail just a natz out of gauge on the plan then the crossing nose will have to follow suit and that can reflect through onto other parts of the formation - or if you slide it forwards or backwards to get back to the same line of the diverging route from the already laid stock rail,  then your nose could be out on the timbering.

I'm just building a turnout at the moment and I've started with the "V" and I haven't found any problems in laying the "V".    I normally use overlong pieces of rail when constructing the "V" which helps with the alignment,  then chop off the rails to length when they are in place. 

Jim.

posted: 11 Mar 2010 16:13

Alan McMillan

Edinburgh - United Kingdom

Hi All

I've always started with the Vee. In a slip or diamond crossing, I'll place both of them before I do anything else. I find that this way the rest of the formation stays accurate. After that I place the stock rails and then the wing and crossing rails. The results are always, I thnk, preferable to laying the stock rails first and pehaps building in errors. The crossing nose is the backbone of any turnout and HAS to be right.

Alan McMillan

412_111109_570000000.jpg412_111109_570000000.jpg

Last edited on 11 Mar 2010 16:16 by Alan McMillan
posted: 11 Mar 2010 17:54

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

For a plain turnout, I'll start with the straight(est) stock rail, but for more complex track it's important to get the "flow" right so I may start with the Vee.  For instance, I'm currently building a formation where the turnout road leads straight into a double slip, so the Vees of the turnout and nearest end of the slip will go in first, carefully set up in the correct relationship to each other.

OK then, who rebates the point rail to take the splice rail?  I reckon it makes assembly easier doing that!

posted: 11 Mar 2010 20:57

Dellboy

Thanks for all your replys, I've read through them several times and had a good look at the pics.

I can see the reasoning behind starting with the Vees, certainly if there is more than one involved and I have some quite complex S&C to build (see 'This is it' on the Share & Show forum for my intended layout). Jims suggestion of extra long legs is sound as it aids the alignment of the Vee. I intend building my storage sidings first, five points, a crossover and a scissors crossover, all on copperclad so I will see how I get on with the Vee approach. Hopefully my old S&C building skills will still be there, albeit a bit rusty initially, just like my old S&C files! There is also the associated electrics/controls to do so I won't be moving onto the rest of the trackwork for a while and there's a bridge to build with the rails sitting on longitudinal timbers and on a curve! However I am quite keen to start the rest of the S&C so it may be sooner rather than later. I will give the rivet/sleeper/functional plastic chairs combination a try. I like the strength of the soldered rivets but I can recall the time it took to prepare the sleepers and then all the time to fix the whitemetal cosmetic chairs, so the combined approach looks very promising time wise.

Once again thanks for your input

Derek

posted: 12 Mar 2010 00:52

allanferguson

Fife - United Kingdom

One  thing  that  occurred  to  me  later  is  that,  using  the  normal  gauges,  there  are  locations  where  they  don't  fit.  I've  found  it  useful  to  set  a  calliper  gauge  to  the  track  gauge,  and  use  this  to  check  the  gauge  at  complex  locations.  Functional  chairs  can  make  it  difficult  to  get  the  usual  sort  of  gauge  to  "sit"  properly.

Allan  Ferguson

posted: 12 Mar 2010 10:49

Dellboy

allanferguson wrote:
One  thing  that  occurred  to  me  later  is  that,  using  the  normal  gauges,  there  are  locations  where  they  don't  fit.  I've  found  it  useful  to  set  a  calliper  gauge  to  the  track  gauge,  and  use  this  to  check  the  gauge  at  complex  locations.  Functional  chairs  can  make  it  difficult  to  get  the  usual  sort  of  gauge  to  "sit"  properly.

Allan  Ferguson

Thanks Alan

I'll get one of my old spring bow compasses out, fit it with short steel points and set it up to gauge with a touch of 'locktite' on the threads. That should do the business.

Derek

posted: 12 Mar 2010 13:56

David R

Hatfield Heath - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
OK then, who rebates the point rail to take the splice rail?  I reckon it makes assembly easier doing that!

Doesn't everybody?

100_170919_400000000.jpg100_170919_400000000.jpg

Although I hope you make a better job of it than I did here!
Last edited on 21 Mar 2010 17:10 by David R
posted: 12 Mar 2010 15:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

David R wrote:
Doesn't everybody?

100_120848_350000000.jpg100_120848_350000000.jpg

Hi David,

That looks excellent. :) It's not often you see the spacer blocks and bolts modelled. :thumb:

But I'm a bit worried about the sharpness of the nose. Unless it's an optical illusion, that looks almost a knife edge. For traditional bullhead the vee nose is blunted back from the FP gauge intersection to a nose width of 3/4" (GWR 11/16", FB 5/8").

Here's an excellent pic from Mick Nicholson showing an almost new bullhead crossing. You can see how the vee nose has been blunted back from the intersection, and also profiled down below the level of the wing rails to match the coning angle on the wheels. The nose is always over the A timber and enclosed within the built-up A chair and spacers:

2_270449_340000000.jpg2_270449_340000000.jpg
© Mick Nicholson

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Mar 2010 17:51

Paul Boyd

Hi David
Doesn't everybody?
Apparently not, and I'm not at all sure that I made a better job than you did!  Something to aim for here, methinks.  That crossing nose chair - I know C&L do one in brass but unless there's some odd colour rendering yours looks likes like resin.  Is it?

Cheers

posted: 14 Mar 2010 11:37

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
David R wrote:
Doesn't everybody?

100_120848_350000000.jpg100_120848_350000000.jpg

Hi David,

That looks excellent. :) It's not often you see the spacer blocks and bolts modelled. :thumb:

But I'm a bit worried about the sharpness of the nose. Unless it's an optical illusion, that looks almost a knife edge. For traditional bullhead the vee nose is blunted back from the FP gauge intersection to a nose width of 3/4" (GWR 11/16", FB 5/8").

Here's an excellent pic from Mick Nicholson showing an almost new bullhead crossing. You can see how the vee nose has been blunted back from the intersection, and also profiled down below the level of the wing rails to match the coning angle on the wheels. The nose is always over the A timber and enclosed within the built-up A chair and spacers:

2_270449_340000000.jpg2_270449_340000000.jpg
© Mick Nicholson

regards,

Martin.
Hi

Please note that the bolt at the nose on GW turnouts goes into the crossing timber. see attached photo.

Cheers Phil

PS.  Not that there's much timber left on this nose
Attachment: attach_759_1074_P8110030.JPG 1656

posted: 17 Mar 2010 14:33

David R

Paul Boyd wrote:
That crossing nose chair - I know C&L do one in brass but unless there's some odd colour rendering yours looks likes like resin.  Is it?

100_170919_400000000.jpg100_170919_400000000.jpg

C&L's A-chair casting is a GWR one without the triangular webs either side; this one is a NER design.  All of the "white" bits in the photo are dozens of tiny bits of plastic card and rod.  This is an O-fine crossing but if I can get my camera to focus close enough I'll see if I can post images of the EM gauge 3-way which I've done to the same detail, just to prove it could be done! 

Martin:
Agreed, the crossing nose should be blunted but I was trying to reduce the gap at the expense of pushing the holding down bolt off of the timber (the foot of the point rail does actually extend beneath the plastic saddle, holding down bolt and washer). 
O-fine flangeways were reduced to 1.5mm (just possible with Slaters wheels) but the solution eventually decided upon was to change to S7 so all the track now needs changing.  Hopefully I can reuse all my little bits of plastic...
Last edited on 21 Mar 2010 17:13 by David R
posted: 17 Mar 2010 15:04

Martin Wynne

David R wrote:
O-fine flangeways were reduced to 1.5mm (just possible with Slater's wheels)
Hi David,

Very impressive to see scratch-built chairs. :thumb:

As you say, 1.5mm flangeways are border-line when used with 32mm track gauge, but 0-MF works fine with all wheels except at tinplate radii (31.5mm track gauge, 1.5mm flangeways).

See:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/253-heyside-7mm-scale-layout-br-late-50searly-60s/

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 Mar 2010 19:34

David R

As promised a pic of an EM gauge "Vee" just to prove that the detail can be squeezed into a 1mm flangeway.  At least the bits of plastic are a little bit bigger in S7 even if the flangeway is about the same size.

100_201354_510000000.jpg100_201354_510000000.jpg

This one is missing the triangular webs on the A-chair which it should really have as it's supposed to be part of a pair of NER 1:7 interlaced turnouts - I did try but the webs just wouldn't stay in place.  Still hasn't got a blunt nose (sorry Martin) although the holding down bolt does appear to go through the timber this time.

The purpose of this exercise was to see what was possible and what was practical.  I think that I've prooved it's possible but at a huge cost in time.  To make it practical in 4mm scale I'd use the Exactoscale components which weren't available when I started out.  Apparently work on their S7 track components will start after ScaleForum North this year...

Back to the OP's original question: build the "Vee" as a sub-assembly including the wing rails; pre-curve all the stock rails; get LOTS of track gauges and I do mean lots, you'll need at least a half-a-dozen for a single plain turnout, many more for complex assemblies, some will need "customising" to enable them to fit in certain locations; then temporarily hold ALL the bits together with the track gauges as you position the lot on the timbers.  When happy with ALL the alignments stick it down (or solder it or whatever) one piece at a time, rechecking the alignments as you proceed.

Dave R

Last edited on 21 Mar 2010 17:22 by David R
posted: 23 Mar 2010 22:58

Paul Boyd

Dave R wrote:
get LOTS of track gauges and I do mean lots, you'll need at least a half-a-dozen for a single plain turnout
Thank you!  That, and Dave Bradwell's comments about the amount of gauge widening (or lack of) produced by 3-point gauges means I've just spent an evening making half a dozen roller gauges, three at +0.1mm and three at +0.25mm (working in P4).  The trickiest bit was making a tool of just the right width to give a groove that snugly fits the rail head.  I've got loads of straight 18.83mm gauges but was blindly relying on the 3-point gauges to produce widening without actually checking what they were doing!

Tomorrow I'm going to rebuild half a turnout...

posted: 23 Mar 2010 23:20

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
I've just spent an evening making half a dozen roller gauges, three at +0.1mm and three at +0.25mm (working in P4).
Hi Paul,

Don't get them muddled up. :)

I turn small grooves on them and fill with coloured paint. One groove for each 0.05mm widening while they are still in the lathe.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 24 Mar 2010 12:41

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
I've just spent an evening making half a dozen roller gauges, three at +0.1mm and three at +0.25mm (working in P4).

I turn small grooves on them and fill with coloured paint. One groove for each 0.05mm widening while they are still in the lathe.

Hi Martin

It seems like identyfing resistors.

Cheers Phil :D

posted: 24 Mar 2010 19:01

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
Don't get them muddled up. :) I turn small grooves on them and fill with coloured paint. One groove for each 0.05mm widening while they are still in the lathe.
I took them into work and engraved 10 or 25 on one end!  Coloured grooves are nice though, and being an electronics engineer I would have to colour the grooves brown, black and red, green respectively if I was going to use paint-filled grooves :D  Maybe next time!

posted: 24 Mar 2010 23:51

BruceNordstrand

Riverstone, NSW - Australia

Hey guys

I read in a 1963 article of Model Railroader (by Jack Work) that notching one frog rail for the other to fit into it (staggered joint) was the way to go. I've never been able to figure that one out hence the need for me to file both sides the same.

Is there any trick to doing a staggered joint or any advantage of doing so in HO scale?

Cheers
Bruce

posted: 25 Mar 2010 13:52

Nigel Brown

BruceNordstrand wrote:
Hey guys

I read in a 1963 article of Model Railroader (by Jack Work) that notching one frog rail for the other to fit into it (staggered joint) was the way to go. I've never been able to figure that one out hence the need for me to file both sides the same.

Is there any trick to doing a staggered joint or any advantage of doing so in HO scale?

Cheers
Bruce
I stagger the joint. At one time I used to rebate the splice rail into the point rail, but these days don't bother; I think the result is as good without, possibly better as you avoid the extra bit of filing.

The advantage of a staggered joint is that the crossing tip is formed from one solid bit of rail, rather than two soldered together, which is likely to be a bit more fiddly to get right. I use a GW Models jig to file the rails to the required angle, which means it's fairly easy to get the angles right.

cheers
Nigel

posted: 25 Mar 2010 14:29

BruceNordstrand

Riverstone, NSW - Australia

Thanks Nigel

I reread Jack's article and while he doesn't notch the rail he does use one rail as the lead rail and the other butts up against it, the lead rail becoming the point. I suspect thats what you mean by a staggered joint. I tried to locate a website for GW Models but Google was next to useless but I suspect everything they have is no good for HO scale anyway.

I'll think I'll just stick with the split rail method as I have a filing jig from Fasttracks plus I don't go to the detail level most of you guys do. I am actually seriously thinking about buying cast frogs from Proto87 stores....

Cheers
Bruce

posted: 25 Mar 2010 15:01

Nigel Brown

Bruce

The Fast Tracks jigs look fine, the GW Models ones are a similar idea except that the slot holding one rail continues to exit from the jig side so that if you stick a rail in the slot with the end extending out of the side, by filing parallel to the side its very easy to produce a rail end with the same angle as the frog angle (think Fast Tracks produce a separate jig for this).  Like the Fast Tracks ones they are designed for specific rail, in my case 3mm Society code 60 bullhead rail. In my view the GW Model jig I use has one fault; the ends of the rail where they emerge from the jig to be soldered are too far apart, which means that the soldering takes place some way off the jig, which given the flexibility of the rail means that it's difficult to produce with certainty the angle of the frog one's looking for, which somewhat defeats the main purpose of the jig. The Fast Track ones look better in this respect.

cheers
Nigel

posted: 26 Mar 2010 19:41

Dellboy

Hello again

Having started this topic I thought I should at least let you know how I am getting on with my first venture into copperclad and to say for the points I have been installing the Vees first - followed by the stock rails because I then find it easier to set up the wing rails with these in place. First I built the fan to the storage sidings turntable, then I built the scissors crossover which sits at the base of the fan.

For the scissors I started with one K-crossing, then the diamond Vees, wing rails from these back to the K-crossing followed by the second K-crossing and the other two wing rails. Once the diamond was completed the four remaining point Vees were fitted etc. Starting in the middle and working outwards like this made it quite easy to ensure correct alignments.

I have used extended timbers to help hold everything in place and this has worked well providing considerable stability when handling. Will probably use this method for the more complex ply & rivet construction as the ply can be suitable trimmed back after installation. Also for the scissors I used a second copy of the templates for making up the various check rails etc. as I found it easier and more accurate to work off these rather than the main templates with the sleepers laid on top.

The copperclad has come together very well so I am all for the Vee first approach. Finger 'rocket' propulsion of a four wheel wagon has failed to cause any rough riding. Full testing will come later. Pics show the fan & scissors layed roughly in position on the baseboard (note the extended timbers).

Derek

1821_261438_450000000.jpg1821_261438_450000000.jpg

1821_261439_500000000.jpg1821_261439_500000000.jpg

posted: 15 Apr 2010 18:16

Templot User

Posted By Email

Posted by email by Andrew Jukes

Paul

This is the thinking that led us to provide the following as part of the P4Track Co. range :

4XX TG01    P4 track gauges (Set of 4: 18.83mm, +0.1, +0.2, +0.3)    

These are not grooved as, if the rail is held upright (canted at 1 in 20) by functional chairs, you really only need to hold the gauge face of the rail against the gauge. If the gauge is grooved and fits the rail well, it may tend to hold the rail upright, resulting in undergauge track when the gauge is removed.

Regards

Andrew Jukes
Exactoscale Ltd.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > To Vee or not to Vee, that is the question
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020