topic: 146Rotating name tags
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Aug 2007 16:51

its_all_downhill

North Yorkshire - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This a little want, might it be possible to have (sometime in the future) rotating name tags, as quite often the names don't fit in the space available.

Regards
Tom

posted: 29 Aug 2007 17:45

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

its_all_downhill wrote:
quite often the names don't fit in the space available.
Hi Tom,

If you are cramped for space for the name labels, you can reduce the font size. See pad > pad background options > background name labels > menu items.

Also in 082a and later, there is a new function to arrange the labels in neat rows and columns. See:

http://www.templot.com/martweb/pug_info_2.htm

(scroll down to "background template name labels" on the left, click "info")

Placing text on the screen rotated at an angle from the horizontal involves some quite complex Windows coding -- I will see what can be done. I agree that having the labels skewed (like parked cars) could save a lot of space. Thanks for the idea. The "boxed over" option would need some thought and also the highlighting as the mouse hovers over them -- these labels are more than just plain text.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Dec 2007 22:21

Peter Ayre

Martin Wynne wrote:

Also in 082a and later, there is a new function to arrange the labels in neat rows and columns. See:
Martin,

After using the row or column fuction is there a way to group restore the labels to the individual track pieces?
I know I can do it one at a time but I'd like to do a group restore.

I think I'll use the pad function next time.

Regards,
Peter

posted: 1 Jan 2008 23:51

Martin Wynne

Peter Ayre wrote:
Martin Wynne wrote:
Also in 082a and later, there is a new function to arrange the labels in neat rows and columns.
After using the row or column fuction is there a way to group restore the labels to the individual track pieces? I know I can do it one at a time but I'd like to do a group restore.

Hi Peter,

At present the name labels can be restored to their default positions only one at a time on an individual template basis. I will add an option in the next pug to restore them for a group of templates. Thanks for the suggestion.

In the meantime you could save the group of templates to a .box file before moving the labels. If the result is not to your liking you could delete the group and add the templates back from the file.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 Jan 2008 17:41

Peter Ayre

Martin Wynne wrote:
Peter Ayre wrote:
Martin Wynne wrote:
Also in 082a and later, there is a new function to arrange the labels in neat rows and columns.
After using the row or column fuction is there a way to group restore the labels to the individual track pieces? I know I can do it one at a time but I'd like to do a group restore.

Hi Peter,

At present the name labels can be restored to their default positions only one at a time on an individual template basis. I will add an option in the next pug to restore them for a group of templates. Thanks for the suggestion.

In the meantime you could save the group of templates to a .box file before moving the labels. If the result is not to your liking you could delete the group and add the templates back from the file.

regards,

Martin.
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your answer.

I have also found that rather than redo individual templates I have found that, if you group all, duplicate the group, delete originals, then all labels are then back to where they started.

The only reason for wanting any form of restore was that by trying the row and column functions several times the list had walked off the plan (due to the lable of the current template is used as the base position for the full list).

I'm sure there is work in progress on other functions that are a greater priority than a "group label restore".

Regards,
Peter

posted: 3 Jan 2008 21:19

Martin Wynne

Peter Ayre wrote:
I have also found that rather than redo individual templates I have found that, if you group all, duplicate the group, delete originals, then all labels are then back to where they started.
Hi Peter,

Hmm. I think that may be a bug! :( Thanks for finding it -- I'll have a think about what should logically happen to the name label positions when a group is duplicated.

The only reason for wanting any form of restore was that by trying the row and column functions several times the list had walked off the plan (due to the label of the currently selected template is used as the base position for the full list).
You may not have noticed a new mouse action -- group > mouse action: move labels menu item. Once you have the labels in a column or row you can move them about in a block. More info at http://www.templot.com/martweb/pug_info_2.htm -- scroll down to "background template name labels" and click "info".

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Jan 2008 06:13

Peter Ayre

Martin Wynne wrote: 
You may not have noticed a new mouse action -- group > mouse action: move labels menu item. Once you have the labels in a column or row you can move them about in a block. More info at http://www.templot.com/martweb/pug_info_2.htm -- scroll down to "background template name labels" and click "info".
Hi Martin,

No I didn't notice the new mouse action. I have tried it and it keeps those labels from wandering off.

I was using the label function in the template menu not the top menu. I'm still using 0.82d, I have  downloaded the upgrade but have yet to install it, I suppose I should now upgrade to 0.91b. :)

Best regards,
Peter

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Rotating name tags
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020