topic: 1825Roller gauges for 0-MF with gauge widening
author remove search highlighting

posted: 12 Feb 2012 18:12

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Debs has kindly offered to make me some special roller gauges. 
These will be a four-slot combined roller gauge to 0-MF standard, but with 0.25mm gauge widening, to allow for radius down to 1200mm. 
So they will have 1.5mm common crossing gap, 30mm check rail gauge and 31.75mm track gauge, to give a gap between the running rail and the check rail of 1.75mm.  There will be a chord-flat milled at the 1.5mm end.
The normal  0-MF track gauge limits you to around 1700mm minimum radius.  This gauge gives permanent gauge widening to allow for the tighter curves, but still has the advantage of the small gap over the common crossing, so that the wheels are supported and do not drop as they pass over the crossing nose.
Wheels are, of course, unchanged from normal 0 gauge fine standards, so your stock does not have to be modified in any way to use this track standard.
If anyone else is interested in having a pair of these special gauges, please let Debs know within the next week, as it will reduce the set-up costs for each of us if the cost is divided between several members of the group.  They may be useful in your sidings, even if you do not need them for the main line. 
Debs will be making the gauges in a couple of weeks time, when she gets her next delivery of brass stock.
I enclose a sketch of the gauge in case any of the dimensions are not clear.
Arthur
Attachment: attach_1350_1825_0-MF_wide_track_gauge_sketch.pdf 365

posted: 23 Dec 2013 02:24

Debs.

United Kingdom

The advantages of Arthur`s gauge-widened track gauges are now available to all.

I have named the useful additional specification to which they are made, to be 0-MF+

Introducing the 0-MF+ gauge:
If a layout contains tight radii, it has been recommended that modellers consider use of 0-MF+ gauging to assure smooth running through any such curves, common-crossings/turnouts, the 0-MF+ gauge includes a gauge-widening of 0.25mm. and precisely provides for the following:
- track gauge 31.75mm
- crossing flangeway 1.5mm
- running rail to check rail gauging 1.75mm  (i.e. the check gauge stays the same at 30.0mm.) 
- a chord-flat milled to both ends (opposingly phased)

msg-13493-0-25656400-1387746997_thumb.jpgmsg-13493-0-25656400-1387746997_thumb.jpg

Further information and pricing on the above and also on the full range of 'Specialty Gauge Products' 0-MF and S7 track-gauges, may be found by clicking here

posted: 23 Dec 2013 11:56

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Hi Debs
Best of luck with the new range.
I now have six points and one crossover built. One more to go. They all work OK pushing stock over them, but none are wired yet or installed on the layout, so I am praying that nothing will go wrong at that stage.
Best wishes, Arthur

posted: 23 Dec 2013 13:58

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

Hi Debs,

Are your original gauges back in stock yet ?

Ian

posted: 23 Dec 2013 22:54

Debs.

United Kingdom

Great news Arthur, might you be able to share with us some pictures of your turnouts/crossover handiwork?

--------------------------------------------------

Yes Ian, I now have good-stocks to hand of all the 0-MF and S7 gauge ranges. (P.M sent to you)

posted: 24 Dec 2013 14:28

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Hi Debs
Enclosed a photo of some of my trackwork on the bench.
All the best
Arthur
Attachment: attach_1699_1825_P1040210.JPG 477

posted: 24 Dec 2013 20:44

Debs.

United Kingdom

Well done in crafting such lovely workmanship, Arthur :thumb:.........those 1.5mm. and 1.75mm. flangeways really do look so much more refined than the gauge-0 standard`s option.
Last edited on 24 Dec 2013 20:46 by Debs.
posted: 25 Dec 2013 08:55

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Hi Debs
Thanks for the note.
Certainly pushing stock through the crossing, I cannot force the wheels to go the wrong way at the nose of the turnout, so hopefully they should run well when wired up.
The finer the standard, i think the easier it is to build.
Many years ago I built some 00 points and some S4 ones at the same time, and the S4 points always worked, whereas I would often have to re-solder the 00 ones several times to get good running. i remember a 00 curved crossover was a particular nightmare.
Perhaps I should have made the jump to S7, but I am not going to change now and 0-MF+ seems a good compromise.
Do you have access to the GOG website, so that members there can find out about your products?
Regards, Arthur

posted: 19 Jan 2014 16:08

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

Received 3 of Debs' O-MF roller gauges yesterday, each one individually wrapped and bagged. Lovely quality. They'll be put to use on Tuesday. Thanks Debs :-)

Ian

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Roller gauges for 0-MF with gauge widening
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020