Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1857Set Any Peg Position Problem?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 2 Mar 2012 20:54

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I'm trying to set the peg position to a user set x, y value by Geometry/Peg Positions/Set Any Peg Position and entering my desired x, y values. But the displayed peg position after entering the data is way off, almost 2X in x and y. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong.

I'm trying to set the peg at a specific point in a plain track template where I want a curve to start. There's probably a simple way to do this that doesn't involve the peg and notch, and I'm a newbie in this area of Templot. Maybe I need to snap multiple templates together instead???

Thank you in advance.

Dave

posted: 2 Mar 2012 21:35

Dave Phillips

New Jersey USA

Ah, ha! the x,y in Set Any Peg Position are delta x, delta y from the current peg position.

Dave

posted: 2 Mar 2012 21:57

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Dave Phillips wrote:
I'm trying to set the peg position to a user set x, y value by Geometry/Peg Positions/Set Any Peg Position and entering my desired x, y values.
Hi Dave,

For setting the peg position manually, X is measured along the template from the CTRL-0 position on the template, not from the grid origin.

Y is measured from the main-side stock rail. So if you want the peg on the track centre-line you must set Y to be half the track gauge.

These dimensions are independent of any curving or slewing in the template and its position or rotation on the workpad.

If you click the ? help F2 button just below where you are entering the dimensions, this is explained in more detail.

I'm trying to set the peg at a specific point in a plain track template where I want a curve to start.
There is a much easier way to get what you want: :)

1. CTRL-0 to put the peg on the track centre-line if not already, or geometry > peg on line or rail > on main road centre line menu item.

2. CTRL+F8 mouse action to move the peg along to where you want it.

3. geometry > transition curve > easement from straight menu item.

4. geometry > transition curve > zero-length instant transition at peg menu item.

You can then adjust the radius to whatever you want (F6 mouse action, click the triangle symbol to swap 1st or 2nd radius adjustment).

Note that doing this only makes sense if you want to have a turnout spanning the boundary. For plain track most users would simply have two templates, one straight and one curved. You can snap them together using F7 mouse action, you don't need to use the peg and notch. Having said that, if this is a running line it's better to have a proper transition easement template between straight and curved track.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Development doings - archive > Set Any Peg Position Problem?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020