Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 1859Window moving
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Mar 2012 17:46

julia

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am running templot TDV under wine on Linux which works nicely for the most part. However when ever I move the mouse whilst clicking to move something (say adjusting the length of a turnout), the whole window seems to move across the screen diagonally. I don't know why it would be doing this, it's the only program under wine that acts like this.

I also appreciate that wine is not exactly a supported platform, and would entirely understand if this was not something you want to spend any time fixing, but I thought I would report it just in case it's a bug for many people.

J

posted: 4 Mar 2012 18:17

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Julia,

Can you describe in more detail exactly what you are clicking/releasing on the mouse and what you are seeing?

The effect you describe could be drag panning, or you could be extending a template with the zoom free option set. If so, right-click and select zoom locked.

To extend the length of a template, press F4 on the keyboard and then click-move-click on the mouse -- don't hold the mouse down.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Linux/Wine/Crossover system to test things. This way of running Templot is getting more and more popular, so I must get myself a test system. Users keep reporting that Templot runs fine under Wine, but I know that it can't possibly be 100% true. I need to see it for myself.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 4 Mar 2012 18:31

julia

I just checked, "zoom locked" is selected.

In trying to take a pair of screen captures to demonstrate this behaviour, I have been unable to reproduce this. I will continue to play with it and see if it has miraculously fixed itself, or if it is a behaviour that comes and goes. I will let you know what happens.

J

posted: 5 Mar 2012 18:55

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Julia.
I suspect as Martin suggests you may be inadvertantly draging the workpad, If you hold down the left mouse button when it is on the workpad i.e. not over a template, the pointer will change to a four way arrow and the screen will follow the mouse movement.
Tony.

posted: 5 Mar 2012 19:00

julia

Tony W wrote:
Hi Julia.
I suspect as Martin suggests you may be inadvertantly draging the workpad, If you hold down the left mouse button when it is on the workpad i.e. not over a template, the pointer will change to a four way arrow and the screen will follow the mouse movement.
Tony.

No, the whole window is moving across the screen, It seems to be eratic and hard to reproduce.

J

posted: 5 Mar 2012 20:08

stuart1600

United Kingdom

I have encountered something which may be similar to what Julia has described.  If I select, for example, F4 to change the length of the control template and then move the mouse, sometimes I get drag panning instead, complete with the "compass point" cursor.  I have assumed that this is due to some slight delay between hitting F4 key and Templot actually implementing the function, so that the mouse is automatically putting drag panning into effect.
It is random, and I have noticed the same phenomenon occurring with other single key functions such as F6.
I did wonder if it was just me - my left and right hands getting out of synch and perhaps I had begun to move the mouse a split second before hitting the function key - perhaps I need another stiff scotch, or two..... :D
But I don't think it is that - although it might be something about my computer/system that is introducing a delay - I'm using TDV with Windows 7.  I don't recall this ever happening with Templot 91c, though.
To be honest I'm more intrigued than inconvenienced by it; and it has caused me to be a bit less hasty and check that the function dialog box has appeared before I actually start to make changes, which is probably not a bad thing.
Regards,
Stuart

posted: 5 Mar 2012 23:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

stuart1600 wrote:
I have encountered something which may be similar to what Julia has described.  If I select, for example, F4 to change the length of the control template and then move the mouse, sometimes I get drag panning instead, complete with the "compass point" cursor.  I have assumed that this is due to some slight delay between hitting F4 key and Templot actually implementing the function, so that the mouse is automatically putting drag panning into effect.
Hi Stuart,

You must wait for the mouse pointer to change to the hollow triangle symbol before starting a mouse action.

Otherwise you will indeed start drag-panning instead.

But it shouldn't be a problem -- drag-panning is a drag operation, i.e. performed with the mouse button held down. Mouse actions are best performed with the mouse button released, i.e. click-move-click.

If it's a problem on your system you can disable left-button drag-panning -- untick the workpad > zoom and pan options > allow left-button drag panning menu item. You will still be able to do drag-panning using the middle mouse button (wheel button).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Mar 2012 10:48

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
stuart1600 wrote:
Hi Stuart,

You must wait for the mouse pointer to change to the hollow triangle symbol before starting a mouse action.

Otherwise you will indeed start drag-panning instead.

regards,

Martin.
Thanks, Martin.
I suspected it was probably me being too hasty, although the fact that it didn't used to happen suggests that perhaps my computer is slowing down and taking a split second longer to process the instruction - probably needs a good "clean-up".
Thanks also for the latest TDV update - I think the new dummy vehicle function is brilliant, and like Raymond I have discovered that more clearance is needed than I had envisaged, especially if a 69ft sleeping car is not to collide with a 68ft restaurant first.
Regards,
Stuart

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020