author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Apr 2012 12:47

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello,
       I would like to run the stand-alone video tutorials in Linux while using Templot..
While trying to run them with Wine I get the following output.

wine insert_turnout.exe
ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

ALSA lib pulse.c:229:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect: Connection refused

fixme:avifile:AVIFileExit (): stub!

I assume this is because I require the appropriate application installing in Wine that is used to open/run these files in Windows.
Is the required Windows application available to install with Wine?
Thanks.
Trevor Walling. :)

posted: 3 Apr 2012 12:58

JFS

United Kingdom

Trevor,

Those of us who use Windows just run these things - by definition, being executables (.exe), they need no "appropriate application" "we" just double click and they go

Since Wine is - by its own definition - NOT a windows emulator, it is perhaps not surprising that these things don't run.

Do you not have a dual boot machine? :-)

Best Wishes,

Howard.

posted: 3 Apr 2012 15:02

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
Yes I have one with Windows XP.I was just looking for a way to run the tutorials with Linux as that is my preferred operating system.
Thanks.
Trevor.:)

posted: 3 Apr 2012 15:41

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Trevor,

The download Templot video .exe file is a self-extracting zip file.

Rename it to .zip and then extract it. You will find 2 files:

The video player: CamPlay.exe

The video file: video_file.avi

CamPlay.exe can run in Wine on Linux, but it won't open the .avi file -- it needs Windows Media Player, but would be worth trying on your system. :)

The video is encoded using the TechSmith TSCC codec, which is not easily available for Linux.

Try opening the .avi file in your Movie Player, and then letting it search for the TechSmith codec.

If no joy, I believe TSCC is included in the codec libraries with these players:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download

http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu

which would be worth a try.

For the future I will make sure all the videos are also available in Flash format, or whatever works best for Linux.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Apr 2012 17:43

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
                   Thank you for your reply.It will give me a few things to try in order to be Windows free when using this fantastic software.
Thanks again. :)
Trevor

posted: 3 Apr 2012 17:57

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
        I renamed it as a zip file and extracted the .avi file.I was able to play it with a number of Linux media players as a standard .avi file straight out of the box so to speak. :cool:
Regards.
Trevor. :)

posted: 3 Apr 2012 19:14

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Trevor Walling wrote:
I was able to play it with a number of Linux media players as a standard .avi file straight out of the box so to speak. :cool:
Hi Trevor,

That's great.  :thumb: Which version of Linux are you using?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 4 Apr 2012 14:21

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
       I am using PCLinuxOS 2012 KDE.It is available with a number of desktops besides KDE.It is a rolling distribution which means you install it then just keep updating it and all the software from  the repository to keep it up to date with Synaptic.It saves having to do complete new installs for the latest versions.
Trevor. :)

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > stand-alone executable videos
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020