topic: 2030Hiding background templates
author remove search highlighting

posted: 24 Jul 2012 22:57

acoake

Morpeth - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Having a helix in my track plan, I am finding it difficult to identify where each level of the helix is located. This makes it difficult to select where to insert turnouts etc and also makes the printed track plans very difficult to follow. Does anybody have a method for doing this, or would Martin please give some consideration to providing a facility for doing this?

Many thanks

Allen Oakes

posted: 25 Jul 2012 02:12

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Allen,

There are several ways to do this:

1. Change the templates to centre-line-only templates, or
2. wipe them from the trackpad, or
3. Save them in a separate .box file, or
4. Show them in a less prominent colour.

Group them all first, then:

1. Change the templates to centre-line-only templates: geometry > track centre-lines only menu item for the control template, followed by geometry > modify group to match menu item. They are then less prominent but still easily accessible by SHIFT-clicking on their name labels.

or

2. wipe them from the trackpad. They then become unused templates in the storage box, and in the .box file. On the storage box: group > wipe group from backgnd menu item. If you do this I strongly recommend giving them identifiable names rather than having them all called "no-name". It's then easy to get one back by selecting it in the storage box and copying to the control template, or to the background, as needed.

For best results, rename them all with the same prefix, such as "helix-A" say. Then it's easy to get them all back in one go -- on the storage box: box > find and group... menu item, followed by group > copy group to background menu item.

or

3. Save them in a separate .box file, and then delete them. group > save group... menu item, group > delete group menu item.

When you want them back, just add the file back to the trackpad. main > reload/add from file... menu item or recent files > add from recent file... menu item.

or

4. Show them on the trackpad in a different, less prominent colour. group > template colours for group > marker colour for all this group... menu item.

You can mix and match these methods as you prefer. :)

For a large track plan, method 3 is perhaps the best. You can keep different sections of the plan safe in different files, and load only the sections needed at any time. 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jul 2012 04:06

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

acoake wrote:
would Martin please give some consideration to providing a facility for doing this?
Hi Allen,

The methods I listed above all involve changes to the .box files.

I can see some merit in a quick function to temporarily hide a background template, or a group of templates, without making any changes to the files. So I will look at doing that -- many thanks for the suggestion. :thumb:

It would need some clear indication on the storage box that a template has been hidden, otherwise I can see plenty of scope for confusion. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jul 2012 09:51

acoake

Morpeth - United Kingdom

Martin,

Once again, many thanks. I will try the various methods you suggest to see which would be most suitable, though I tend to agree with your analysis that method 3 may be best overall.

Re the previous topic (curved double junctions), I have now had some success using the various options you suggested and your suggestions here will make it easier to work with these also.

Once again, many thanks

Allen Oakes

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Hiding background templates
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020