topic: 2083Trackbed edge
author remove search highlighting

posted: 17 Oct 2012 20:32

Ray Hughes

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Looking at Barry Norman's book the (4mm) distance from track centre line to trackbed edge is 31mm which seems to be about the default setting for Templot. However, Barry's measurement includes 9mm for the cess. The trackbed edge is ideal for marking how close the scenery can encroach on the track. Is there an easy way to mark the edge of the ballast shoulder - i.e. where the underlay edge should be, without re-printing all the templates with an amended trackbed edge distance (to exclude the cess)? A search for trackbed edge, cess and ballast shoulder couldn't offer any guidance. Ray
Last edited on 17 Oct 2012 20:33 by Ray Hughes
posted: 17 Oct 2012 22:11

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Ray,

Ballast shoulders and cess are not directly supported at present. The trackbed edges function is intended to create a guide line for cutting open-top baseboards, rather than anything based on the prototype.

A proper function for this needs a lot of work on the generator. A full implementation requires 4 additional lines on each side of the track -- top of ballast shoulder, bottom of ballast shoulder, edge of formation, outer edge of drain/cess. And a 5th if you add the boundary fence. 

However, a short-term fix would be to make the width of the trackbed edge line adjustable to represent the cess. At present it is a bold marker line created by two lines half a rail-width apart. I can add an option to make it say 10mm wide instead to represent the cess, with a hatched infill to save ink. I will look at doing that for the next update, which I'm hoping to have ready in the next few days.

For a typical single track railway, the formation would be 15ft wide between each cess, the cess/drain being 2ft-6in wide on each side, giving a total width of 20ft. These dimensions can vary, the formation may be wider, in which case the bottom of the ballast shoulder may not reach to the edge of the formation.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Oct 2012 10:31

Ray Hughes

Martin

Thanks once again for your response.

I've printed off the templates for the whole layout with the trackbed edge marked. I've cut round the templates on this mark, drawn a line around the edge of the cut template. I cut the cork tile underlay to this mark for the fiddle yard where scenery will not be a problem.

I just wondered whether anyone had an easy way of marking the other side of the cess on the templates so that they can then be trimmed again in order that the cork underlay can be cut to the narrower profile.

Would I be better cutting the cork initially to the wider profile and where appropriate trimming it down from that, rather than mucking about with the templates? That said, the templates would then overhang the cork so perhaps that isn't a good idea.

A halfway house idea could be to provide an option to print a cess edge line but leave the user to decide where this should be relative to the trackbed edge and even provide them with the option to set it outside the trackbed edge should they so desire.

posted: 18 Oct 2012 10:49

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Ray,

If you can wait a day or two for the next update, I'm making some changes:

2_180544_580000001.png2_180544_580000001.png

2_180544_570000000.png2_180544_570000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Oct 2012 10:57

Ray Hughes

That would be brilliant.

Many thanks.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020