author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Nov 2012 10:39

RT

Doncaster - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin,

Just a comment for you.  There are times when I have wanted to used Templot at a family members house, who doesnt have the internet.  As i don't have a 3G dongle or anything, it means that Templot refuses to start.  As another example, my ISP decided to encounter problems for the whole of last weekend, which resulted in me being unable to do anything with my layout plan because Templot could not connect to the internet.

Could it be made, so that if the programme could not connect, it accepted it and started anyway?  It would make it far more user-friendly ... well more friendly to this user anyway! As a user, other than checking for updates, I cannot see any specific reason why Templot needs the web to run.

As I said at the start, I have a family member who has a laptop but doesnt have the internet.  He wants to use Templot to design his layout having seen it in use with me, but cannot because of the lack of a connection.

Just some feedback that may (or may not!) help you!

Cheers

Rich
Last edited on 8 Nov 2012 10:40 by RT
posted: 8 Nov 2012 11:36

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

RT wrote:
Could it be made, so that if the programme could not connect, it accepted it and started anyway?
Hi Rich,

If I do that I can guarantee that 75% of users will not update their version and will simply go on using the version which they originally downloaded. After a few years I shall be in the same mess as before trying to answer questions about several different versions, and it will be impossible to create a new Templot Companion which is up-to-date for all users.

Templot very nearly made me ill 12 months ago because of endless support requests from users who simply would not update to the current version, and I'm not going back there. Templot is now free for anyone to use, so if anyone doesn't like the way it works -- don't use it.

Sorry to seem stroppy, but I want to be sure everyone understands the position. An internet connection is now becoming near universal, and within a year or two I believe this way of working will no longer be a problem.

Having said that, the solution to your problem is to use the Hibernate function on your laptop. Start Templot at home. Don't switch your laptop off, hold down the SHIFT key and click Standby. The laptop will go into Hibernate mode and then switch off. When you get to your friend's house simply turn it back on, and Templot (and everything else) will still be running exactly as before. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Nov 2012 12:16

RT

Doncaster - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I would disagree with your assessment that an internet connecton will be universal, but I can see your thought.  Bear in mind that some people a) cannot afford it and b) live in an area where the speed of such things is low and not worth paying for.  However, I think you've missed my point, what I was meaning was keep everything as it is now, so it updates as necessary, but quite simply if it looks for a web connection and cant find one, bypass it.

Support is done through this forum, so anyone needing help will need to be online to get support, which is only available for the current version.  That way, it helps users who want to use it where there isnt a web connetion (bottom of my garden on a sunny day for example, as my Wi-Fi doesnt reach that far) and you keep users permanently up to date by forcing the update (if available) everytime they connect to the net.

If people don't want to upgrade, thats then up to them - I wouldn't see support on a free product only being available for the current version being a problem, and if anyone has a winge, all they have to do is to start the programme while connected to the web and update, for which support is then available.

Just my two penneth - its your software at the end of the day! 

Rich
Last edited on 8 Nov 2012 13:51 by RT
posted: 8 Nov 2012 15:51

Les G

RT wrote:
...If people don't want to upgrade, thats then up to them - I wouldn't see support on a free product only being available for the current version being a problem, and if anyone has a winge, all they have to do is to start the programme while connected to the web and update, for which support is then available...

Rich,

If only all users were that considerate. :? Unfortunately, there were too many folk who not only refused to update the software, but would not even take the trouble to specify which version they were using.  Furthermore, many of the queries had already been answered several times over by Martin and others.:roll: In other words, just a short time using "search" could have resolved many of the issues.

Many of us were worried about Martin's health at the time, so he has our complete support in the uncompromising stance :thumb:he has had to take.

Besides, the hibernate function Martin describes resolves the problem.:cool: If someone has a PC without internet, they cannot download the software in the first place.

Happy Templotting,
Les G

posted: 8 Nov 2012 16:22

Martin Wynne

RT wrote:
If people don't want to upgrade, that's then up to them
Hi Rich,

No it isn't. While they are using my intellectual property it is up to me. It is not permitted to use a version of my Templot2 software if there is a later version available. Please see:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?terms_of_use.htm

which all users agree during the installation process.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Nov 2012 18:56

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

I'm not going to repeat my thoughts on this subject as it's been done to death - suffice to say that if we're using Templot 2, then we've agreed to the terms even if they've not been read! 

Those of us who purchased the original version do still have the option of using that, although Templot2 is streets ahead thanks to Martin's hard work (and then he gives it away :?).  Although it doesn't support some of the newer features, I've found that generally files created in Templot2 don't come out too badly in 0.91c, unless they're full of irregular diamonds, of course!  Having said that, I haven't used 0.91c in anger since Templot2 was released.

posted: 8 Nov 2012 20:03

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
If I do that I can guarantee that 75% of users will not update their version and will simply go on using the version which they originally downloaded.
Just a thought about this issue generally. I find it slightly inconvenient if I start up Templot and have to install the new version before going any further. Would it be possible to have a few days "grace" on this - I would quite happily download the update, and install it after I have finished my session, or in the following few days.

If it could be made to work, then maybe it could also work when working without remote access, i.e. it starts a counter, down to 7 days, after which it will not run until it has connected to the internet to do a version test.

If it involves a lot of work, though, don't do it - it would be nice, but it is not essential.

Simon

posted: 8 Nov 2012 20:44

Martin Wynne

Simon Dunkley wrote:
Would it be possible to have a few days "grace" on this

The present system isn't going to change in the near future.

I may at some future time provide an option to pay to override the internet check. Or a paid-for alternative Templot3 version. But NOT until I have completely rewritten the Templot Companion and the tutorials.

I'm not prepared to accept a payment for Templot until it doesn't create a support obligation. When the Templot Companion is up to date I can simply say RTFM and leave it at that. At present I can't do that because the docs are in an unholy mess.

My ultimate aim in all this is to enjoy developing the Templot program WITHOUT having to support it. At present when making changes the support implications are always uppermost in my mind.

regards,

Martin.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020