author remove search highlighting

posted: 18 May 2013 15:21

pointo1d

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hiya Martin ,
Following my last post (concerning the NSR pre-1914 Leek station), I've come to the conclusion that adopting something somewhat simpler would allow me to get things running considerably earlier - to that end, I've been reading up on the NSR Newcastle (under Lyme) station. However, I only seem to be able to implement the S curve at the down end (see here for a photographic idea of the track bed just after the track was lifted) as a number of individual templates. My question is, am I missing something ? Is Templot able to construct such a configuration as one, or possibly two, transition curve(s). ?
Attached is a partial scan of the Alan Godfrey produced reproduction plan of 1898 (sheet 17.04).
TIA & best rgds ,Dave P
Attachment: attach_1605_2221_Newcastle.png     410

posted: 18 May 2013 17:28

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Dave,

The usual way to align an S-curve to a map is to align two temporary dummy templates some way apart (see: http://templot.com/companion/swell_function_ctrl_f10.php ), and then to use the make transition function to link them (see: http://templot.com/companion/link_existing.php ).

However, I can't see an S-curve on the map which you uploaded? :?

You also linked to this video:

If you mean the short reverse curve at the end of the platforms shown in the video, I think the slewing functions would be the best way to do that.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 May 2013 12:00

pointo1d

United Kingdom

Hi Martin ,

TFT - in retrospect, I think that, as you noticed, my command of the terminology is somewhat lacking. It was actually the dog-leg/reverse curve to which I should have alluded.

Apologies for the video link, it only appears as a photo when I visited the site using Chrome - but three of the videos thereon are really most interesting, so thanx for that as well :thumb::thumb:

Best rgds ,
Dave P

posted: 8 Aug 2013 18:59

pointo1d

United Kingdom

Hi again Martin ,
I've managed to get what I think is a reasonable representation of the station (see attached box file), but I'm struggling with constructing the single slip at the down end of the platform roads. I've looked and looked at your demo video but can't seem to get the 'convert half diamond to turnout' to construct a decent turnout for the later 'make slip road' operation - the only difference, that I can see, between my attempts and your video is that your video is mandraulically constructed whereas the crossover in my attempts was auto-constructed as a ladder crossover - resulting in a 1:12 slip.
TIA & best rgds ,
Dave Pundefinedundefined
Attachment: attach_1647_2221_Newcastle_NSR.box     262

posted: 9 Aug 2013 11:23

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting your file. :)

A few pointers:

1. The Down Loop is too close to the running lines. Where a loop or siding is adjacent to a running line, the rules require the track spacing to be increased by 4ft to 10ft way instead of 6ft way. In 2mm scale you need to increase the spacing by 8mm for 4ft scale. You can do that by mental arithmetic, or simply by entering #8 in the data-entry dialog. Here's a bit of Jing video showing that (in 4mm scale):

http://screencast.com/t/u98lh6UQzbQ

It may take a few seconds to download before it will play.

2. You have made much use of C-6 turnouts. That's a very unusual non-standard size. I suggest changing them to B-7 which will not take up any more space and have a much easier radius. It will also mean that the slip will be 1:7 instead of 1:6. That's a much better size for a slip in running lines -- 1:6 slips have a very sharp radius and are normally found only in yards.

3. Several of your templates are showing slewing zone markers beyond the template boundary, to no effect. To avoid confusion it would be better to cancel slewing on those templates (geometry > slew (nudge) > cancel slew menu item).

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Aug 2013 20:48

pointo1d

United Kingdom

TFT Martin ,
As, I hope, you will see from the image, also now attached, my attempt (as previously attached) was based on a scan of the station area as included on a 1:4340 (approx.) map published by [url=http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fhttp://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk%2F&ei=UZYGUpOJDsLMOKWOgfgO&usg=AFQjCNFFgnZXh4VkW9xh6Sfp7Rw5S0-_bQ&sig2=0JXKK13WRAn0oIuQpKYN8w&bvm=bv.50500085,d.ZWU]Alan Godfrey[/url], hence the points and adjacent loop/siding main line distance. As to the apparently redundant slewing zones, they came about, I believe, as a result of getting the slewing close enough, then copying the slewed mainline track to the control template, then inserting and appropriately positioning, a turnout in the control template.
Best rgds ,Dave P
Attachment: attach_1649_2221_Newcastle_1.png     322

posted: 11 Aug 2013 13:21

R C Lake

Relying too closely on the map may not be the best idea. Whilst buildings and other "solid" features may be reasonably accurate, I have found a number of serious errors and omissions in various maps, when it comes to trackwork. I doubt if surveyors intended to achieve any more than a very rough representation of track details - except perhaps on very large scale maps like 1:500, where you sometimes even see point levers and other details recorded.

posted: 27 Apr 2018 14:43

pointo1d

United Kingdom

... and now for my latest attempt (using an improved scan from "Newcastle Under Lyme - It's Canals & Railways", Baker & Fell) - made far easier by the newly added functionalities. All (I think) I have to do now, is to correct the point timbering but, as ever, I'm always open to suggestions...

Best rgds,
Dave P
Attachment: attach_2668_2221_newcastle_2018_04_17_1935_45.box     215

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > S curve construction
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020