topic: 2249Diamond crossing construction
author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Jul 2013 10:47

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
On a diamond crossing, I am not sure what you call the piece of running rail with one end filed to an point between the K-rail and the check rail?

More importantly, how do I make one?  On the few pictures I can find it looks as if many modellers have left the rail  straight and just filed the tip off at an angle.  I cannot find any pictures of the real K-crossing crossing pre-grouping or even in the early days of grouping.

But I would have thought that if you make the rail head like this, it will mean that the rail head is not supported at the tip by the rail web?  So should these rails be made in the same way as a V-crossing point rail?   i.e. bend 10mm (in 0 gauge) towards the running face, file railhead only on the running side to make the running surface straight again; and then file the crossing angle on the non-running side to match the K-angle?

Should the end be rounded to 3/4" (?) radius  as at the common crossing tip?

Thanks for your help and advice,
Arthur

posted: 3 Jul 2013 10:56

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Arthur,

It's called a K-crossing point rail.

Make it the same way as for the V-crossing point rail.

If you use filing jigs, here is the intended way of using them to ensure solid metal at the tip:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/55974-emg-society-crossing-and-switch-jigs/#entry682447

Note that for K-crossings, the point rail is blunted off to 5/8" scale width instead of 3/4" blunt nose for V-crossings.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Jul 2013 12:42

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Martin,
Thanks for the very quick response.
Now I can get back to the filing this afternoon.
Best wishes
Arthur

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Diamond crossing construction
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020