topic: 2283Laser cutting
author remove search highlighting

posted: 11 Aug 2013 11:20

leflep

Carlisle - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have recently acquired access to a laser cutter which uses *dxf files.  The last time this topic seems to have been discussed here seems to be 2009 and I wondered if there have been any developments since.  Getting an output in *dxf format is simple but I wonder what methods people have used to generate the 'nibs' that hold the sleepers together.

Peter

posted: 11 Aug 2013 11:36

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Peter,

My suggested method is here:

topic 767 - message 4515

The main development since then is that most folks have realised that the whole thing is a daft idea. It is far more difficult and time-consuming, with significant risk of damage, to remove the webs after construction of pointwork than the traditional method of snipping timber strip to length and fixing it on a paper template. Coupled with the great waste of material and extra cost if purchased ready-made, the perceived advantage of this method is something of a mystery.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 12 Aug 2013 10:08

Alan Turner

Dudley - United Kingdom

I have been using a laser cutter of late (no not turnout templates). I was told that I needed DXF files but when I put them into the laser software it was hopeless; stray lines everywhere.

I suspect that it only worked if the DXF came from a particular programme.

What I did try was a PLT file (reasoning that the laser cutter was probably converting the DXF to PLT anyway as it worked on HPGL language). Worked a treat so now I supply the PLT file rather than DXF.

Regards

Alan
Last edited on 12 Aug 2013 10:10 by Alan Turner
posted: 12 Aug 2013 16:29

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Alan Turner wrote:
I suspect that it only worked if the DXF came from a particular programme.
Alan,

There are many varieties of the DXF file.  Autodesk seems to bring out a new version with every new version of AutoCAD to support new facilities in the application.  But most other applications seem to work well with the old Version 12 of DXF and any drawing/graphic package producing DXF files should give the option to output this version.  Even AutoCAD has this version available. :)

Jim

posted: 12 Aug 2013 20:35

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Hi Peter
I have created laser cutting files to make a model of Lyme Regis station, which was subsequently cut by Lasercraft Devon. They took .dxf files, which nearly all the agencies accept, so I assume that this will work with most cutters.
Nearly all the agencies use an old version of Autodesk files. Try something like Acad 2004, because a cutter will usually be backwards compatible with an earlier file type, but they are not forward compatible to more modern file types.
If dxf does not work, you could try CorelDRAW v12 (or earlier), which some agencies use.
The agencies all use different colours for different layers and one colour is the cut line and the other is set to do a half cut. You can even do scratch marks with a third colour, so you could, for example, mark the rail edges.
Most machines will take up to 8 colours, so you can also prioritise the order in which parts are cut (e.g. to cut the centre out of a window frame, before cutting the outside of the frame).

If you do a half cut through each of the tabs, it is then easy to cut them off where not required.
However, this has to be programmed into each specific model of laser cutter. e.g.
- which colour means which type of cut i.e. to set the power of the laser
- which order to use each layer / colour (you should do the half cuts first)
- how deep to cut each layer. Usually you have to set this up by trial and error on a sample of your material.

I do not know what instructions you have with your machine. You need to check focus. I read that you normally aim for 1/3 to half way through the material.
You also need to support the material flat, but on some waste material that it does not matter if the laser cuts into it. Not metal, as that reflects the laser light and could lead to secondary burns. Corrugated cardboard might work well?

One advantage of laser cut sleepers is that they can all be tied together by small tabs, so you do not have the problem with the slide chair sleepers dropping off the rail (I know I should have remembered to glue the chairs to the rail as well as to the sleeper, but as usual I forgot).

Hope that is of some small help
Regards, Arthur

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020