Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2467Reedsmouth Junction
author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 Jun 2014 11:41

John Palmer

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
For those who have the cash to splash on a nice portal frame building for their model railway, here is Reedsmouth Junction, in 4mm : 1' requiring 28' X 36' just to accommodate what's on view here.

Routes:

Top left: to Bellingham and Riccarton Jc (Border Counties Ry)

Top right: to Scotsgap Jc and Morpeth (Wansbeck Ry)

Bottom: to Border Counties Jc and Hexham (Border Counties Ry)

Those familiar with the station will know of its exquisite range of North British signals, including a facing road 'bow tie' at the south end for movements up the BCR to the shed.

A bit rough and ready, but an enjoyable bit of escapism for me!
Attachment: attach_1860_2467_reedsmouth_2014_06_04_1057_46.box     382

posted: 4 Jun 2014 11:42

John Palmer

...and here is the .bgs file for the turntable.
Attachment: attach_1861_2467_reedsmouth_14_05_19_0104_43.bgs     272

posted: 7 Jun 2014 14:50

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

John Palmer wrote:
...and here is the .bgs file for the turntable.

Hi John,

Thank you for that: I love that line, but it was instructive to see how big that simple junction was. I am told that someone has built an 0 gauge line based on Reedsmouth...

You don't need to use a BGS file for the turntable, as you can generate the well wall from a normal template. Before doing this, delete the turntable road to the control, and put the peg on it's mid-length. Notch here. Save the table. Simply create a new template, omit one running rail and all the timbers, and set the radius to be the scale turntable radius minus half the track gauge (in your case, 80mm radius is a perfect match), and set the swing (on the geometry menu) to 360 degrees. Using the geometry menu, move the radial centre to the notch. Save the template, job done.

To save the effort (although it is worth having a go!) I will upload a new turntable for adding to your box file.

Regards,

Simon
Attachment: attach_1864_2467_Turntable_for_Reedsmouth.box     274

posted: 7 Jun 2014 15:11

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Simon Dunkley wrote:
omit one running rail and all the timbers, and set the radius to be the scale turntable radius minus half the track gauge
Hi Simon, John,

Alternatively you can do geometry > track centre-lines only and set the radius to match the turntable. In this case the printed template won't be as prominent as using a rail for the turntable ring, but it's quicker to do. :)

You can change the marker colour and/or mapping colour for the turntable template if you wish.

Many thanks for posting that John -- have you ordered the shed? :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Jun 2014 15:32

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Alternatively you can do geometry > track centre-lines only and set the radius to match the turntable. In this case the printed template won't be as prominent as using a rail for the turntable ring, but it's quicker to do. :)

Ah yes, but if one prints out a smaller size layout plan, where it is advisable to de-select the centre-lines from the printout, then the turntable disappears...

There is a reason for my methodology.

Simon

posted: 7 Jun 2014 16:31

John Palmer

Those are ingenious ways of dealing with turntables - thanks!

Martin Wynne wrote:

Many thanks for posting that John -- have you ordered the shed? :)

regards,

Martin.

Not before I've negotiated the purchase of the next door garden so I can get it all in.:D

I ought to mention that this has been done entirely from photographs, and without reference to any plan - need to see whether there are any conveniently available sources of such a plan.  The OS 6" series put online for the National Library of Scotland is great, but doesn't come far enough south for Reedsmouth.*

I'm still beavering away at my fictitious equivalent of the Mallaig Extension.  My design for that has now more or less crystallised, but I fear it's likely to be the last exercise in actually building a layout I shall be able to undertake.

Now, if someone could come up with the elixir of life as well as the portal frame building...

*Correction, yes it does.  Oh dear, seems that my 'guessed' alignments are a bit out; some re-working required.

Last edited on 7 Jun 2014 16:46 by John Palmer
posted: 7 Jun 2014 16:59

Simon Dunkley

Oakham - United Kingdom

You can get to the 1:2,500 series map (good for general alignment, and an indication of some detail) via old-maps.co.uk, using coordinates 386533 and 581974.

Simon
Last edited on 7 Jun 2014 17:00 by Simon Dunkley

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Reedsmouth Junction
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020