topic: 2591Storage Yard efficient useage
author remove search highlighting

posted: 8 Dec 2014 10:30

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
My proposed layout is basically a horseshoe. The storage/fiddle yards will be on one leg of the horseshoe.
My question is what is the best arrangement to come from the "horse shoe" toe into the storage yard to give the maximum length of siding in the leg.
I am working in 00-SF, the entrance curve is minimum 915mm (36") radius. The sidings are on 60mm centres. I have utilised 1 in 8 curved turnouts and tools>make branchtrack. From this branchtrack I have constructed a transition to the adjacent parallel track.
This is repeated, working outwards, until the requisite number, of tracks, is constructed. At the moment this is four.
Supplementary question; would I be better using a curviform V-crossing?
Cheers 
Godders

posted: 8 Dec 2014 18:20

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Godders,

Roughly how long and wide are the baseboards you proposing use and what sort of length train would you like to squeeze in? Do they need to be portable or transportable?

Phil.

posted: 8 Dec 2014 18:59

Nigel Brown

Phil O wrote:

Roughly how long and wide are the baseboards you proposing use and what sort of length train would you like to squeeze in? Do they need to be portable or transportable?
Also, what sort of stock are you intending to run, e.g. multiple unit, loco-hauled, steam, etc?

Can affect how you design the fiddle yard.

Nigel

posted: 9 Dec 2014 10:28

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Phil and Nigel,

FYI the room is 12ft x 9ft, the baseboard dimensions will be fixed by the number of parallel tracks i.e. 4 tracks on 60mm centres, so approximately 240mm min. The curved entrance will of course determine the baseboard dimensions in that area.

However I can't see the significance of these questions. I am trying to achieve the most efficient use of track to get the longest possible storage roads given that my restrictions are governed by the minimum radius 915mm and the RAM, which I have selected as 1 in 8, because that will give me a 927mm minimum.

Godders

posted: 9 Dec 2014 12:27

Nigel Brown

Hi Godders

To get the longest storage roads you could consider using cassettes rather than a traditional ladder of tracks. Or a mixture of cassettes and traditional tracks. For an all cassette approach, all you need is a couple of inches or so of straight track beyond the horshoe toe. If your cassettes are constructed from aluminium angle set the appropriate gauge apart, then the bit of straight track can be the same, and you attach the cassette to that using bulldog clips. This will maximise the length of storage. It will also not restrict you to 4 roads. Just a thought.

If you have loco-hauled trains, rather than use a single long cassette for a whole train, you can use a long cassette for the body of the train and a short cassette for the loco, so that you can detach it from the train and shift it to the other end without handling it.

If you prefer to use a storage ladder, you may still find cassettes useful for handling locomotives.

If you use a storage ladder, how you do it may depend on whether you want storage roads of roughly equal length, or whether you anticipate running a mixture of short and long trains.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 9 Dec 2014 12:50

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Godders.

It also makes a difference on where the start of the ladder is, as it affects the siding lengths. Also there is the option of a traverser, possibly! Hence the questions on size etc.

Cheers

Phil

posted: 9 Dec 2014 21:55

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Godders,

Do you want all the roads to be the same length? Often it is better suited to your actual traffic if you have them varying in length -- a long road for the long goods train, down to shorter ones for the branch passenger train, say.

Also the control system is affected by the design -- a ladder is much easier to control than a branching tree arrangement. With a ladder only one set of points needs to be reversed at any one time, so a simple rotary switch can be used to select the required road.

Here's a quick 5-minute stab at a ladder in 00-SF using B-8 LH turnouts with curviform V-crossings. They are curved on 1650mm radius giving a smallest radius of 914mm (36"). I have overlapped the toe of each one close onto the previous V-crossing so that the substitution radius through the lot is about 35". This is governed by the amount of overlap. The roads are at 60mm centres:

2_091652_030000000.png2_091652_030000000.png

2_091652_560000000.png2_091652_560000000.png

The alternative would be to put RH turnouts on a ruling 36" curve to achieve a similar effect.

Alternatively you could put the ladder of turnouts on the outer road.

If you could post a quick .box file sketch, it would be easier to see what might fit best. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Dec 2014 00:45

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Guys,
Here's my .box file. This is what I had before I posted.
It is an exercise in trying to get in as much track as possible.
I have added a turnout at the entrance leading to the loco yard.
The idea is to bring trains into the storage tracks uncouple the loco then at the scheduled time attach a loco to the other end and take the train back to where it came from.
The original train engine would follow but then be reversed into the loco yard.

Thank you for suggesting cassettes but they involve handling and seem vulnerable to catastrophe.
Godders
Attachment: attach_2014_2591_storage_roads_with_loco_roads_SF_2014_12_10_0023_39.box     216

posted: 10 Dec 2014 18:27

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Godders,

Thanks for posting the file. You seemed to have achieved a good result already?

Curviform V-crossings cause the exit tracks to diverge more quickly, so all things being equal they will allow for the longest length of sidings from the clearing point.

Generally I would prefer to have the longest trains at the back and the shortest trains at the front, making easier access to rolling stock for couplings, etc. without having other stock in the way. This means putting the ladder of turnouts on the inside curve rather than the outer curve -- which also puts the turnouts at the front for better access. In each case it is possible to use turnouts with similar flexure (positive curving) or the opposite hand with contraflexure (negative curving). That makes 4 options to choose from. :)

Where there is a specified smallest radius, in this case 915mm, it is probably better to have this running as the ruling curve to save the most space. This means putting the ladder on the inside curve with turnouts having contraflexure. In this case that means left-hand turnouts:

2_101312_060000000.png2_101312_060000000.png

For a fiddle yard we are not concerned with prototype accuracy, we can use whatever geometry produces the optimum result. For these turnouts I used the 1:32 short model switches, with 1:7 V-crossings.

This is the result, with your original in white. The roads are a bit longer than yours, but not by very much:

2_101320_100000000.png2_101320_100000000.png

Over to you. I can post the .box file if you wish? :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 10 Dec 2014 20:59

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Thank you Martin, this is what I needed. Give me time to absorb it.
I do not think you need to post your .box file, I'm sure I can pick the bones out of it.
Cheers and thank you to everyone for their input.
Until the next time.
Godders

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Storage Yard efficient useage
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020