author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Mar 2015 00:09

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello,

I can't find the option for wider sleepers at the ends of straight track panels. I want 10" wide in most places but with 12" wide either side of the rail joints. Can anybody <point> me in the right place please ?

Rob

posted: 29 Mar 2015 11:29

Ian Allen

Milton Keynes - United Kingdom

Rob,

"Real" > "Shove Timbers". Select timber, then "widen".

Ian

posted: 29 Mar 2015 13:19

Rob Manchester

Hi Ian,
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had forgotten that option.

Looking at Martin's help notes I maybe don't need the wider joint sleepers for the current project :-

"In the pre-grouping era, some railways used 12 inch wide timbers in place of standard sleepers adjacent to the rail joints in plain track."

and as I am using 8'6" sleepers for post-grouping it seems that the practice may have been no longer used.

Rob

posted: 29 Mar 2015 13:27

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Rob,

As Ian says, you can widen a sleeper by 2" by clicking the widen button (or pressing W) on the shove timber dialog:

2_290815_040000000.png2_290815_040000000.png

To avoid having to do this on every template, you can make some changes before you start the track plan. Extend a good long length of approach and exit track on a turnout template, and widen all the joint sleepers. Tick the retain option boxes on the dialog above.

Now you can shorten the turnout again for use. The shoved timbers will be retained in your subsequently stored templates, and reappear when required if you extend the length of them. This includes any plain track templates, which will use the widened sleepers from the approach track.

An obvious omission from Templot is an option to automatically widen joint sleepers. It has been in my notebook for years. Maybe your message here will nudge me into doing something about it. :)

edit: now done, see below.

p.s. many companies which used 12" joint sleepers, also used special larger joint chairs on them. I don't know anyone who makes such chairs.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Mar 2015 13:34

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Brilliant, thank you. A chance to use up my supply of 12" wide sleepers included in all the bags I got from Brian/Pete/ et al ! I know you can use them for the first few timbers on turnouts but I always forget.

If you have had the rains down there I bet your river is up a bit ?

Rob

posted: 31 Mar 2015 14:01

David R

Hatfield Heath - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
... many companies which used 12" joint sleepers, also used special larger joint chairs on them. I don't know anyone who makes such chairs. regards, Martin.

100_310859_070000000.jpg100_310859_070000000.jpg

Available in 7mm scale in packs of 16 or 80 from Off The Rails 

Regards, Dave R
Last edited on 31 Mar 2015 14:09 by David R
posted: 31 Mar 2015 16:28

Rob Manchester

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the chair info. My current project is 4mm scale but I will bear your excellent products in mind for the future.

What is the chance of being able to produce a 3D printed trackbase ( timbers and chairs ) from Templot DXF output ?

Rob

posted: 1 Apr 2015 14:05

David R

Hatfield Heath - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
What is the chance of being able to produce a 3D printed trackbase ( timbers and chairs ) from Templot DXF output ?

As far as I can recall Templot's DXF output is in a wireframe format (awaits correction by Martin...) and does not contain any chair information whatsoever.  To translate the DXF into something suitable for 3d printing you would have to convert the wireframes describing the sleepers and timbers into surface models or solid models and then add the 3D-chairs which you had previously drawn.  You will also need to find a 3D-printing technology which will be able to produce the rather small details present on 4mm scale chairs. 

The time taken to achieve this, assuming you are proficient in 3D-cad-modelling and already have access to the relevant high-end cad packages and a suitable workstation (i.e. expensive), would not be insignificant; this six inch length of track has taken several years of my spare time to get this far:

100_010848_190000000.jpg100_010848_190000000.jpg
A 1 in 6 left-hand common crossing using post-1924 castings based upon the LNER drawings of the time modelled in Scale7 on a Templot-drawn image. Chairs and separate tapered keys are 3D printed in acrylic by Shapeways but still require some minor changes before they become available from the Off The Rails online shop. Chairs shown include S1, S1-J, L1, CCL, CC, CCR, 6X, 6B and 6C all with separate keys; 6A with separate spacing blocks; knuckle block and wing blocks; plus 8 bolt and washer assemblies to hold it all together. The check rails are 3D-printed in sintered nylon (also available in black) resulting in a textured surface which is fantastic for representing rust; these are a few thou less high than the running rails to reduce collateral damage whilst track cleaning and represents worn rail seconded from other duties. 108 components in less than 6 inches of track; plus a few-dozen more which pinged from the tweezers and landed who knows where during construction.

Of relevance to this topic are the two wider timbers at the extreme right of the picture with the S1J chairs.  The 8'6"x12" timbers and S1-J chairs are shown on the LNER drawings so not just pre-grouping.

Regards Dave R
Last edited on 1 Apr 2015 14:14 by David R
posted: 10 Apr 2015 20:25

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
An obvious omission from Templot is an option to automatically widen joint sleepers. It has been in my notebook for years. Maybe your message here will nudge me into doing something about it.

Duly nudged by Rob, I have now added this option. This should avoid a lot of timber shoving: :)

2_101512_160000000.png2_101512_160000000.png

If not wanted enter the same width as the previous line (10") or zero.

The result is quite noticeable, this is a pair of 12" joint sleepers with 10" plain sleepers:

2_101512_160000003.png2_101512_160000003.png

n.b. Don't use this option on templates which have already had joint sleepers shoved to 12" width. Otherwise you will end up with joint sleepers 14" wide.

I have also implemented a modify group to match function for the timbering settings. This is not a new function, it was already on the storage box. But an entry on this menu is convenient, and also avoids the risk of failing to reset the option after use:

2_101512_160000002.png2_101512_160000002.png

At the same time I have made the timbering data... menu item easier to find (it was previously at the bottom of the menu):

2_101512_160000001.png2_101512_160000001.png

In the next program update.

Martin.

posted: 10 Apr 2015 20:53

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
                   That will be great for LNWR 60` panel joints and other pre-grouping companies and make mixing pre and post grouping along with more recent nationalised BR track a lot easier.
Regards.
Trevor. :)

posted: 10 Apr 2015 21:39

Rob Manchester

Martin,

Great, many thanks for adding this.

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Sleeper widths at rail joints
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020